As Fate Would Have It

Safe

Ellie had planned it, much like she always did. She knew that if she invited James, of all people out to the club with us, I would get the real story of what happened that night. She knew that I would finally know that Kris had done nothing wrong, and that I was overreacted to something that I knew nothing at all about. My mind ran over what James had said time and time again, making sure I caught every word right, making sure that I knew the truth now. I was so consumed by the things I had learned that I didn't realize the cab driver had stopped and we were sitting in front of a house I knew all too well. Taking out some cash, I threw it at the driver, hoping it was enough, and rushing out of the car. It must have been because before I knew it, he was speeding off.

My feet carried me straight to his front door, much like they always did. Instinctively, I turned my head to make sure that his sports car was sitting in the drive way like it always did. It was. Before I could make myself knock at the door, I took a deep breath. Even though I knew that I had to talk to him, this wasn't going to be easy. We had both been hurt. We both been hurt. It was a huge misunderstanding that I needed to get straightened out if my life was ever going to return to normal.

Normal. Who would have ever thought that my life being normal would include the company of a professional hockey player? This was something most people only dreamt about. A knot began to form in my chest, and I wished more than anything I could find a way to make it go away. Reaching up, I knocked on the door. I almost wished it was so quite that he couldn't hear it, but before I knew it, I heard footsteps coming towards the living room. My hands began to rub together as Kris opened the door slowly. I felt the moment stop and just hover. A quote from Of Mice and Men sprang into my mind, but I didn't have time to figure out its exact wording. Before I knew it, I had dropped my purse and jumped straight into Kris's arms, crying into his shoulder.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled against his shoulder. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

I felt his arms tighten around me. He was saying something, but I couldn't make it out over my own sobs. He kicked the door closed before carrying me towards the bedroom and sitting on the bed. Still, his arms were wrapped so tightly around me, I could almost sense what he was feeling. At the same time, I didn't loosen my grip on him. I felt if I did, he would disappear and I would be alone again. I...I couldn't take being alone again. I don't know how long we sat just taking in each other's embrace, but when he finally loosened up enough so I could pull away and look him in the face, I noticed the tears in his eyes as well.

When did I start to mean this much to him? When did some common girl start to become this much of his world? Three days of separation had cause us this much pain? Was that even possible? The months I had spent with Kris had meant the world to me, but I never realized how much they meant to him. It never crossed my mind that he needed me as well. I was being selfish in all of this. I was so concerned about how hurt I was, and I wouldn't even try to talk to him about it. I felt guilty. I didn't want to see those tears, and I didn't want to admit to myself that I was the reason they were there.

"Kris..." I started, but before I could get anything else out, his lips were mashed against to mine. I was in no position to object. He could have whatever he wanted tonight. I didn't care what it was. I was his. I would always be his. His lips worked furiously against mine, trying to take all they could, and I was willing to give it. Before I knew it, I was on my back on the bed. His hands were in so many places at once, I wasn't sure where to even begin. His lips were still glued to mine, and it didn't seem like they were going to be leaving anytime soon.

My dress was gone. My heels were gone. My hair was disheveled, my make up destroyed. His shirt had gone missing, as well as the sweat pants he had been wearing. I didn't care. I needed the contact. I needed his touch. Those rough hands running the length of my legs, my arms, my torso. His kisses trailing from my mouth to my neck, down all of the skin I had exposed, and even some that wasn't yet. Fingers tore at the remaining clothing and before long we were together. Everything felt right again. I felt as though my world was no longer falling apart.

-x-

When I woke up the next morning, I was almost surprised to feel the arm that hung around me. Last night seemed like a dream, and the fact that it wasn't brought a smile to my face. I didn't want to leave this moment, and with any luck, I wouldn't have to. I shifted myself in his arms so I was now facing the man I loved so much. All I had needed last night was one kiss to make me know that everything was going to be okay. Instead, he had given me so much more. I gave him a gentle kiss on the lips. It was enough to wake him up. As soon as the brown eyes met mine, I knew I was safe; I was home.

"Good morning," Kris whispered.

Those words were all I needed. This was home. For as long as I lived, Kris was all I would ever need, and nothing would come between us ever again.

THE END