As Fate Would Have It

Nerves

Nerves hit before I even stepped foot into CEC. I found myself completely lost in thought as I followed Ellie like a zombie. How was tonight really going to go? Would it just be your typical friends getting drinks? though we weren't really friends and I was pretty much knew nothing about the man other than he was a French Canadian, played for the Pittsburgh Penguins, and wore number 58. As a fan, that's all I really needed to know. Sure, I could maybe spit off some random stats or recall a specific play that stood out among the rest (like his enormous hit on Blake Comeau), but that did me virtually no good.

"Where are the tickets?" Ellie asks as we approach the doors.

"Oh...uh...here...." Pulling the tickets from my pocket, I hand one of them to Ellie. I watch as her eyes look over the tickets, realizing that I never did tell her where we were sitting. Before I can, her jaw drops.

"We're next to the Penguin bench?!" Ellie basically shouts in my ear, waking me from the daze I found myself in.

"I guess so," I respond. I know next to nothing about the arena, and Ellie knows that. "Is that good?"

"Good?! They are nearly impossible to get!" She was still shouting. People were looking now, and I felt the redness invade my cheeks.

"Well then Kris did a good job. Will you be quiet now?" I didn't need all this attention right now.

Walking through the front doors wasn't as thrilling as before, and I just walked I had the sudden urge to walk right back out. What was I doing? Things in Pittsburgh were finally looking up. I had a good...okay well decent boyfriend. I finally had a friend in Ellie. Work was alright, minus the fact that my boss wanted to rip my head off for taking tonight off. Why was I putting everything in jeopardy for some guy I honestly didn't know?

That question wasn't one that I thought I would be able to answer. It wasn't until we reached out seats that it dawned on me. That look. The first night I had met Kris, and he caught my eyes. It wasn't just a look. His gaze meant more than that. From that moment I had know he wasn't going to be just another guy, or some player that I enjoyed watching on the ice. Kris was making it known then that he would be a bigger part of my life. Ellie never admitted to telling him to take me home. Maybe he volunteered. Maybe he knew that all of this wouldn't end that night. He had been planning this since the moment he laid eyes on me, and for some reason, that fact made me smile.

"Savannah. Savannah..." I felt Ellie elbow me lightly before pointing to the ice. And there he stood, back to us. I knew it wasn't a coincidence he was right there. The Letang on the back of his jersey was almost close enough for me to touch. Clever, Kris, I thought to myself before standing up and walked the few steps that separated me from the ice. My presence must have been like a blimp on his radar, since no sooner had I walked down to the glass did he turn around and smile. That sly bastard. Skating back slightly, he tossed a puck over the glass with a wink. I couldn't help but shake my head before picking up the puck and heading back to my seat. "What was that all about?" Ellie asked, snatching the puck from my hand and turning it over in her own, looking for some secret message that must be hidden deep inside.

"Just a gift," I answer, grinning from ear to ear before taking the puck back.

-x-

This game almost felt like a joke. The Penguins were playing with more ferocity than I had ever seen. It was noticeable in their eyes that they wanted this win, and they wanted it badly. It was a look I would expect in a game against the Flyers or the Capitals, but why Florida? What had Dan Bylsma said to his boys before this game to cause such destruction? Every player had rage. Every player had fire. But my eyes were on only one. Kris Letang was playing one of his best games of the year, ending in three points from two assists and a goal. When that final horn sounded, my body stood with no instruction from me, and I began to scream at the top of my lung for the boys who had just given their all for another W.

Bring Ellie had turned into a blessing at this point. Not only was she amazing company for a hockey game, she could easily get access to the labyrinth that lay below CEC. I hadn't thought about this fact until we walked up to the guard who protected the elevators that led below. Without her, I didn't know how I would have gotten down there. The argument that number 58 was expecting me seemed like a total joke. I'm sure the guards heard that on a daily basis. I would rather not look like some pathetic fangirl who has some imaginary relationship with a player who doesn't even know I exist. Ellie flashed her award-winning smile at the guard, who let her pass with no question. I followed closely, smiling and nodding as a thank you.

As the elevator started it's descent, they hit. The dreaded butterflies, who actually felt more like dragons this time around. Not only where they flying everywhere, but they were causing destruction in the pit of my stomach that I couldn't make go away. God, I wanted it to go away. With my stomach this nervous, I wouldn't be able to get a word out when I came in contact with Kris, or any of the other players for that matter. Chances were, Kris wouldn't be the first and only face I saw once underground, and I didn't expect him to be either. Once the elevator doors opened, and we stepped out, I grabbed Ellie's arm quickly. "I can't do this," the words were shaky, but they came out anyways. "Ellie, I really just...can't do this?"

"Why not? Don't you like him?"

The question was so quick and so effortless that I felt my grip loosen on Ellie's arm. Did I like him? Well obviously. If I didn't would I be standing here right now? I mulled over the question as Ellie lead the way through the maze of hallways. But the question kept gaining meaning with each step. Like him...like him... What did she mean? Ever since he joined the Penguin's team I had liked him. My favorite player, in my favorite position, on my favorite team. What was there NOT to like?! In interviews, he always seemed so meek and awkward. It was adorable in my eyes. Yes. Yes I definitely liked him, but did that mean as a friend? As more than a friend? As....what?

Before I had time to think about that any longer, I was face to face with the man who had occupied my mind every waking moment since the night he dropped me off. The smile that crept across my face was large, and he met it with one of his own. Kris looked good. Hell, he looked like a god. After the game, he must have rushed to shower and get back into the suit he had worn into the arena. That hair that made every girl and her grandmother drool was slicked back, and still wet. Those chocolate brown eyes met my gray ones with such intensity that I was forced to look away. It was probably a good thing I did because standing next to him was Max, who I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Giving Max a slight wave, he flashed that smile that made all the girl's melt, including Ellie.

"Evening fellas. Good game you played. Especially you, Maxie," Ellie cooed, running a finger under Max's jaw line with the words. She was so damn good at this. I would have to ask for lessons.

"Seriously. That game was amazing. What was that, three points, Tanger?" I added, turning my gaze back to the man in front of me, who was now turning a slight shade of pick.

"Should have been four, but three is still a good night," Kris answered. His slight French accent made my knees wobble a little. "We should be going though. You ready?" His hand extended to me with that devilish grin pasted on his face.

Taking his hand, I nodded. "As ready as I'll ever be," was the best answer I could give. If this night didn't kill me, I would be almost positive that I'm invincible.