As Fate Would Have It

Morning

I don't know when I managed to fall asleep, but when I awoke the next morning, Kris was still laying next to me, snoring away. My hand rested on his chest, while my head was still on his shoulder. Taking in a deep breath, I let my eyes flutter closed again, not wanting to move. I was comfortable here. I felt like nothing could hurt me with his strong arm wrapped around my waist. But that false sense of security came crashing down much faster than I had ever hoped.

Knock, knock, knock.

My eyes flew open again. Wh...Who in their right mind would be knocking at my door this early?

Sitting straight up in bed, I climbed over Kris and started towards the door. Then I realized I wasn't exactly dressed for company. Walking back into the room, I notice Kris started to stir. His shirt was the first thing I saw, so I threw it on without a second though. "Good morning," I started, "go back to sleep. I'll only be a minute." Kissing him lightly on the cheek, I smiled as he groaned as an answer before rolling on his side, he back to me.

I move out of the room, closing the door behind me. My arms wrapped tightly around my body as I started towards the door. Opening it slightly, I peaked my head around the corner to see Ian standing on the other side.

Shit.
Shit, shit, shit, fuckity, shit!

"Ian, what I surprise!" I try to sound excited, but it comes out more like worry. "Wh...what are you doing here?" The door was only open far enough for me to peer my head around. He pushed the door lightly at first, but I held my ground. Sadly, a little shove and the door was wide open and he could see into my apartment.

"I brought you breakfast," Ian offered, holding up a brown paper bag I recognized from the coffee shop I stopped at most mornings, and a large coffee in his other hand. Without an invitation, he walked right into my room.

I thought vampires had to be welcomed in.

Why was I thinking that? Just a few weeks ago I was thinking that Ian was like God's own little gift to me and now I was referring to him as some sort of bloodsucker. My eyes followed him as he walked into the living room and sat on my couch as though he owned the place. I had yet to move from my place by the door, just starting at him, and apparently not looking thrilled.

"What's wrong sweetie?" Ian questioned, extending his arm towards me. I slowly closed the door walking over to him, but not sitting down.

"You know I hate surprises," I began, not wanting to start an argument right now, especially since I had a sleeping hockey player in the next room, "and I really don't have time for you this morning. Thanks and all, but I...I need to get ready." I began, tucking some hair behind my ear and staring at the man on the couch as though he was some intruder in my life.

"Where do you have to do?"

The question caught me completely off guard, and I didn't have an answer. "What the hell does it matter?"

I watched as Ian rose from the couch and walked over to me, placing his hands on my shoulders. "Savannah, honey, what's the matter?"

"Nothing!" I shouted. "I really just need you to leave!"

"I'm not going anywhere until we talk about this."

"Talk about what? I just...I over slept and now I have to get ready," my arms flew out to my sides as I spoke, causing his hands to retract from where they were resting on my shoulders. I notice his eyes fall slightly to the dress shirt that was placed delicately over my tank top. Grabbing the edges of the shirt, I pulled it back around my body, turning my head away so I didn't have to meet his eyes.

"Whose is that?" Ian asked, his tone turning very sharp with me.

"Mine," I lied, knowing that my voice cracked just on that one word.

His hand extended for my chin before he forced my face back towards him. Those eyes that I loved so dearly were swimming in anger. I swallowed hard, meeting his gaze. I tried to pull my head back out of his grasp, but his grip just tightened on my jaw. "Savannah, I'll ask you again," he started in a stern voice, "whose is it?"

I felt my chest tighten instinctively. Reaching up, I shove his frame in hopes of breaking his grip. It worked. Taking a few steps back, I felt my teeth clench. "It's none of you business, that's for damn sure."

Bad move. Ian started forward, and I stepped back. Before I knew it, I was against a wall and he was as close as humanly possible. "Is he still here?" Ian questioned, the rage rising in his voice. I didn't dare let my eyes travel to the bedroom door, and hoped more than anything that Kris was still sound asleep. Instead, I held my gaze on Ian. "I said, is he still here?"

"Is who still here Ian? You're still here," I barked back, "although it would be really nice if you just vanished."

His eyes narrowed on mine before he grabbed my arm tightly and started to pull me towards the door. Being the stubborn girl I had always been, I fought with every ounce of my being. My heels dug into the carpet, burning with ever inch. My free arm tugged at his in hopes of freeing that vice grip on my arm. In all my struggles, I felt my knee bump into the table that sat next to my couch, and as it did, the lamp from the table hit the floor with a crash. As soon as the noise hit my ears, my head turned quickly towards the bedroom door, which I was still being drug towards. As soon as I did, the door opened and Kris emerged.

"What's goi..." Kris began before his eyes fell upon me and Ian. Ian had all but frozen in his track, and I was left standing slightly behind him, still in his grasp, doing my best to choke back the tears that I already felt welling in my throat.

Ian was speechless, and in a way, I couldn't blame him. I'm sure the last person he ever expected to emerge from the depths of my bedroom would be Kris Letang. I took his moment of confusion as my invitation to break free. It didn't take much effort to escape his hands while his eyes were focused on the man standing in front of him. Weaseling my way around Ian I darted straight for Kris, being engulfed into his arms as though they were home. Right now, they even felt like home. But I didn't stay in his embrace long before Ian started to move towards us. I didn't have time to move behind Kris before he guided me there.

"Who the fuck do you think you are?" Ian's voice rang though my apartment like a bell. "Fucking my girlfriend. MY girlfriend!" He was pointing straight at Kris before his hand traveled to me, peering out from behind the muscled hockey player who was serving as a wall between me and the enemy. "And you! You fucking whore! Did you think of me once?! Selfish little sl..."

Before he had time to finish the last word, he was on the ground. It didn't register to me what had just happened until Ian was back on his feet and holding his nose. The anger in his eyes seemed to radiate as he fumbled back to his feet and started towards the front door. "Your mine," were the last words out of his mouth before Ian was out the door.

Once I heard the door click into place, I was gone. I retreated to my bathroom to let the tears begin raining down. Even though I hadn't slept with Kris, he was right. I was a whore. I had let some man I barely know sleep in my bed. I had, in a sense, just cheated on my boyfriend. It was the only thing I vowed I would never do. I had trusted my moral compass to lead me away from this situation, and instead it had lead me right to it. Sinking against the bathroom door, I just cried. I couldn't control the tears that were streaming down my face. I couldn't control the sniffling that my nose was continuously doing. I couldn't control anything anymore, and that scared me.

Minutes into my pity party, I heard a faint knock at the bathroom door. As much as I wanted to answer, I couldn't. Then, he spoke, "Savannah...Can I come in? Or I can leave? Or..." Kris began, sounded frustrated and meek, "What do you want me to do?"

He was sweet. Standing up, I wiped my eyes, as well as my nose with a tissue before opening the door. There he stood, serious expression plastered on his face. His dark eyes didn't leave me as I took a step forwards and wrapped my arms around his waist, closing my eyes as my head hit his chest. "Thank you," I murmured, feeling the tears start to fall again against his warm skin. Muscled arms embraced me as I stood there, silently crying into him. We stood in silence for several minutes before he spoke again.

"I couldn't let him talk to you like that," Kris whispered, kissing my head ever so slightly, "I couldn't sit around and watch a man disrespect a woman that way. Especially when I care about that woman."

I listened to his words without a single one of my own. Pulling away from him, I lifted myself up to let my lips press against his. My hands travelled from his toned back to his sides, resting there gently. His arms pulled me closer, forcing the pressure between our lips to grow. I felt his lips part, and I let mine follow accordingly. his tongue began to wrestle with mine as we stood in the doorway of my bedroom. Before I knew it, he had pulled away.''

"I hate to do this, but I have to go," Kris began, sadness soaking his words. "We have a team meeting at noon."

I nod, slipping his shirt off and had it back to him. The sleeve is slightly stained with my tears, but he puts it on as though there is nothing wrong. Nimble fingers rebutton the front before Kris's eyes meet mine again. "I'll see you soon. I promise." The words were simple, but I knew they were true. Another kiss landed on my forehead before he started towards the front door. Before I knew it, he was gone, and I was alone again.