Status: summer vacation. gonna try to write something :) (finally!)

You Just Know

Chapter 3: Influence

You Just Know

Chapter 3: Influence

Hayden stood across the courtyard with his friends, laughing about something I couldn't hear. I glared at him, waiting for him to notice me. He never really does, of course.

Since that day two weeks ago when he took me to Maggie's, we've been spending an awful lot of time together considering the fact that he insists on taking me home everyday. We usually ended up going to Maggie's or just hanging out at my place. I actually consider him a friend now with all the stuff I learned about him. For example, he fell trying to ride his skateboard when he was only ten years old, knocking out his two front teeth. That same year he got braces until he was thirteen. Hayden is also allergic to bees but he doesn't mind any bugs, not even bees. And his strongest subject is science because he loves understanding life. All that and more, yet he didn't have the guts to come talk to me in front of everyone else. I would go up to him, but I don't really want to humiliate myself in front of his friends. I have a feeling he would just ignore me, anyway.

"Hayden's a douche, you know," Marcus said matter-of-factly, digging around for crumbs in his bag of chips.

"They're just taking things slow," Danielle scolded him.

"Danielle? Hayden and I aren't taking anything anywhere."

"Are you sure about that?" she asked me, a smirk on her face.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure," I said, giving her my best confused look.

"Turn around," she whisper-yelled at me. I did as I was told and there was Hayden, walking toward me. I would have been extremely happy and proud of him if it weren't for the fact that his friends were nowhere to be seen. Instead, I gave a 'what-the-hell-are-you-doing-here' face.

"Hey," he said, flashing me his teeth. Before I knew what I was doing, I got a roll of bread from my lunch bag and threw it at him, hitting him in the chest. "No, thanks, Jane. I already ate," he said sarcastically.

"Why are you here? Aren't you scared your friends might," I gasped, "see you here with me?"

He sat down next to me and waved at my friends, as if he knew them. Turning to me, he tilted his head to the side and smiled warmly, "Now, what would make you think such a thing?"

Thinking of a way to avoid answering that question, I coughed, "Danielle and Marcus, this is Hayden."

He smiled at them and waved again before turning back to me, "Don't think you can get away so quickly, darling."

"Stop calling me darling," I hissed.

"Fine, doll." I grabbed another roll of bread in my lunch bag and threw it at his face, obviously causing some pain this time. "Ow!"

"Uh...I think we're just gonna go now. Come, Marcus," Danielle said, getting up and collecting her things. The two of them left us behind, walking toward the main building. Marcus turned around and glared at Hayden before disappearing inside with Danielle.

"Look what you've done, Jane. You've scared your friends," Hayden tsked.

I sighed and looked at him; I didn't feel like arguing right now. "I think you're embarrassed to be seen around me."

"Wow, you sound like a clingy girlfriend," Hayden laughed, clearly amused. I bit my lip, feeling like I got slapped in the face. Okay, so maybe I developed a tiny crush on Hayden in the past few days... "I didn't mean it like-" he started, reaching for me.

I smiled wearily and leaned back so I was out of his reach, "It's fine. It's- It's not like I like you or anything."

"Really?" he asked, eyebrows raised in sincere shock.

"Yeah," I said, sounding a lot like I was trying to convince myself rather than him.

"Oh," he blushed, "I thought we were sort of dating."

"What?" I practically yelled, my eyes about the size of saucers.

He shrugged and gave me a crooked smile, "I thought we were. I mean, we have been flirting quite a lot. Not to mention all that time we spend together at Maggie's."

"I-I," I stuttered, unsure of what to say.

"Ah, so you do like me," he said, tapping my nose. Before I could reply, he pressed his index finger to my lips. "I didn't want to hang around you while people were around because I wasn't sure if we were dating. If we weren't and I was around you, I didn't want them making rumors that we were, just because we flirt a lot. But now that I know we sort of are, I guess I can hang around you now."

He pulled his finger away and against my will, a big smile appeared on my face. "You are incredible," I said, shaking my head.

"Thanks," he said, giving me that crooked smile again.

"I like that smile," I said, surprised I even said it. Luckily, I wasn't sure if he heard because the bell rang just as I said it. I have a feeling he did because as he helped me get to my feet, that smile was still plastered on his face. Shoving my stuff into my bag, he walked with me to the main building.

"How about we go on a date you're actually aware of?" he asked as we walked down the hall, full of kids walking to class. Not a lot of people stared, thank god.

"Sure. Where are we-?"

"How about to the mall?"

"Why the mall?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. Hayden thought the mall was for teeny boppers, he even said so himself.

"We need to find you a job. Might as well make it fun," he shrugged.

"A job? I don't need a...," I trailed off, realizing what he meant. "Are you firing me?"

He kissed my cheek and went in the other direction, running down the hallway. "Yeah!" he yelled over his shoulder, just as a hall monitor stopped him in his tracks. I laughed and went to 7th period, too happy to care that I just got fired from a job that was hardly a job at all. Thirty minutes into class, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I took it out and saw Hayden's text message:

"Don't be mad: I got detention. We can still go on the date, though! :D I'll just pick you up at your place at 5?"

A new set of butterflies erupted in my stomach as I read his message. Another endearing thing about Hayden: he uses correct grammar when he types. Biting down on a smile, I replied:

"No problem. I'll see you after school, then? Since I apparently can't go to the student store during free period! Ahem."

His reply came not even two minutes after I sent that message:

"Sorry again, Candy-Jane. D:"

"Candy-Jane?"

"Yeah, as in: Candy cane! :)"

"-____- I'll text you later. I have more important things to learn than stupid puns."

After that message, I turned my phone off just so I could resist the temptation to keep talking to him. Seventh period ended and I packed up my stuff, taking my sweet time to my locker. Where the hell was I supposed to go now? I don't really want to go to the student store. I would seem clingy to Hayden and I still need time to think about what just happened at lunch. Sighing, I packed up the things I needed for homework and went to my last resort: the computer lab. Look at what Hayden's done to me! He's got me doing homework at school. My parents would be so proud. Tear.

When I got to the computer lab, I found myself craning my neck to find an empty computer. Who knew people were this enthusiastic about educational websites and homework? I found a seat towards the far wall, next to the window, and settled down in it. Just as I finished my essay on some theme, a chat window popped up. I forgot the computer lab had a program that lets us IM with each other so that we wouldn't be loud and disruptive to others. I sat up a little in my seat, trying to get a look around the room to see who was IMing me. No idea of who it could be, I sat back down and actually read the message.

From Computer 1-789-546-9085: Hayden tells me u 2 r dating.

I hesitated before replying.

You: Yeah, we sort of are. Who is this?

From Computer 1-789-546-9085: a friend of his.

You: Ok...

From Computer 1-789-546-9085: do u even kno wat u got urself into?

You: what exactly are you trying to say?

From Computer 1-789-546-9085: dat Hayden isn't emotionally healthy

You: ?

From Computer 1-789-546-9085: u do kno his gf died 2 yrs ago, rite?

You: yeah...

From Computer 1-789-546-9085: do u kno how?

You: no. I moved here around a year and a half ago

A feeling of dread crept into my stomach. I was finally going to find out the most important detail of Hayden's life. I bit my lip, waiting anxiously for this person to reply.

From Computer 1-789-546-9085: rachel committed suicide after he broke up wit her

I stared at the computer, not knowing what I should say.

From Computer 1-789-546-9085: wen he found out, he went nuts. He's been sleeping wit robyn, rachel's little sister, since then.

You: I can handle myself. Thanks for trying to help but I don't need any

I closed the IM window and packed up my stuff, not bothering to save the essay I worked so hard on.

***

"What's her name?" Marcus asked, flipping pages in his yearbook from freshman year.

"Um...Rachel Mackall." He flipped through more pages until he was in the senior section. He pointed at a girl's picture and handed me the yearbook to get a better look. She had short brown hair, just above her shoulders, and green eyes. She looked a little thin but beautiful nonetheless. Underneath her picture was her senior quote: "Goodbye." A chill ran down my spine as I read the words. "That's creepy..."

"Yeah. I'd hate to support your relationship with Hayden," Marcus said, shaking his head, "but I think Hayden must have realized by now that she was suicidal even before he dumped her. I think he's got his eyes set on you because he's healed now."

"Gosh, older guys are definitely better," I said, patting his head like a dog.

Marcus stuck his tongue out at me before walking to the kitchen and getting a can of Monster. He shook it in the air as he walked toward the back door. "I am not stealing. I am clearly making you aware of this act, okay? So don't bite me later on. Oh and good luck with your date or whatever," he said the last part with disgust before disappearing outside.

I checked the clock and saw that it was already 5:15. Thinking Hayden would be there soon, I sat in the living room and watched TV, waiting for the sound of his car in my driveway. By 5:45, I gave up all hope and went upstairs to change into my Pj's. As I was changing, I heard a car's engine outside and ran downstairs (fully clothed, mind you!) to see who it was. To my disappointment, Will got out of his car and locked it. He tossed his car keys, intending to catch it, but it hit him in the head as he saw me.

"Jeez, what are you doing?" he asked as he picked it up from the floor.

"Nothing," I blushed, feeling like I got caught doing something bad.

"Uh-huh. Where's your phone? I've been calling to ask you what you wanted for dinner," he said, walking pass me and to the foyer. "I didn't buy anything so you're gonna have to cook."

Not caring about the fact that I had to be his personal slave tonight, I ran past him and to my room. I found my phone tucked in my jeans' pocket. Turning it on, I found three missed calls and a text message. Two missed calls from Will and the rest from Hayden.

"I am so sorry, Candy-Jane ): I forgot that I had something to do today after school."

Checking the time it was sent, it said: 11/7/2010 – 4:40 pm. Finding no good reason to be mad at him, I sent him a text.

"It's fine, homie."

"No, it's not fine. Let's just do this date tomorrow? Oh and what's up with homie? :P"

"Okie-dokie, HayDEN. Den = room found in a house. House = home = homie."

"I'm such a good influence on you<3"
♠ ♠ ♠
Dundundundun! The first of many times Hayden will stand her up. Ooops. I gave it away. Darn. (I needed to explain why such a seemingly unimportant bit was put in this chapter).

TO CLEAR THINGS UP- At the time, Rachel was a senior[a 4th year] while Hayden was a sophomore [a 2nd year] and Marcus was a freshman [1st year]. In present times, Hayden's a senior, Marcus a junior [3rd year], and Jane& Danielle are sophomores. Jane moved to Nevada during her freshman year.

I don't really like this chapter. Like I said in the previous chapter, I had to make time fly by to get things started since it'll only be 12 chapters. I feel like in this one I rushed things but things will slow down a bit in the following chapters.

JSYK, the first three chapters were posted so quickly because I posted them on my Fiction Press account. I'm moving them here for more readers.

What do you think of Marcus? Leave me a comment!