Status: One Shot

Visiting Hours

1/1

Room 305. Fourth Floor.

The continuous drone of the robotic beeps bounced off the white walls and drilled itself into the brain of the aggravated teen. Slouched on a hard chair facing his mother he barely attempted to start a conversation.
“How was school?”
“OK”
“Have you done your homework?”
“Yep”
Silence.
“How’s your girlfriend Meg?”
Pressing ‘send’ on his phone he looked up at his mother. “She’s OK”
His mother sighed and attempted to crinkle free her blanket. He didn’t notice her discomfort. Ten more minutes and he could leave. There was no need to worry.

Room 028. First Floor.

Heavy steel cap boots marched hurriedly down the white pasted walls; echoing down the empty hall. His heart was going to stop. Something beating this fast couldn’t last long.
The blinds in her room were closed. The door was shut and a solemn doctor stood waiting for the panicking man covered in black grease.
His young eyes watered as the doctor sadly shook his head. He had missed her. The doctor opened the door for the broken hearted man. The room was silent. Not a whisper of breath or a peep from a machine was heard. She just laid there. Pale. He touched her hand softly. It was still warm. His hand cradled her dead one; her warmth slowly fading.
The grown man hunched over her body and clung to her like a little boy. He hadn’t hugged her in so long. A child needs hugs to grow like a flower needs the sun. That’s what she would always say when he would groan about her hugs. He wasn’t a child, he was a man. He didn’t need to grow. Now he clung to her tighter than ever before. What would he do now that his sun was gone? He didn’t know. He had never thought about it. Refused to think about it. There was no need to worry. Her warmth would always be there. She would never leave. She couldn’t, he wasn’t ready. But she was already gone.

Room 201. Third Floor.

Pink and blue walls surround the new born babies. Lined up in rows they cried, slept and stared in wonder of their new surroundings. He didn’t notice them though. He didn’t hear the crying or the woman heading into labour down the hall. He noticed nothing but the little buddle in the first row, three cots across. A pink blanket wrapped her sleeping body; her even breathing was in sync with his heartbeat.
‘Marie Elizabeth Rodgers’ No name was more perfect than hers. No infant in that room could compare to her. His heart swelled and his body tingled. No feeling could match to this one. No love could be as strong as this love he held for that small little girl. His little girl. He smiled brightly when a nurse began to roll Marie towards the door he stood impatiently by.
He didn’t know what the future would bring. He didn’t know how he would handle it. Would he be a good father? He was scared to think that he wouldn’t be. What if he wasn’t? Would she love him like he loved her? Could he protect her from the evil in the world? Could he protect her at all? All the thoughts that buzzed through his frightened mind disappeared when his little girl was handed into his arms. She opened her little brown eyes and his fears were put to bay. There was no need to worry. It was time to bring home his little sunshine.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is a short story. I'd really like to know your opinions