‹ Prequel: Adolescent

Mature

Dinner & A Movie

I pulled up alongside my house, feeling my nerves tense up. I don’t know why I was so nervous. It may be because I haven’t physically seen my parents since I left, or that I wanted to keep playing the waiting game. Despite my nerves, I turned off the car and headed toward the front door. With a devilish smirk, I knocked on the door, recalling that I was a Huntington Beach Police Officer. After a few moments the door opened, revealing none other than my mother.

Her face dropped completely before her smile came back. It grew from ear to ear before she started shouting. I laughed as she nearly tackled me into a hug. Loud footsteps echoed into the house and my dad appeared at the door. Before he could ask what was wrong, he grinned like a little kid in a candy store. My mom planted numerous kisses on my head and cheek, tightening her hug almost as much as Devin had.

“I’ve missed you so much!”As she pulled away, I wrapped my arms tightly around my dad.

“How’s my sugar?!”He kissed my cheek and pulled away.”How are you, Hillari? How’s school? You being good, having fun? Not partying too much are you?”

“It’s going good!”I smiled.

“Come on! I just made cookies!”Devin and I followed after my parents and sat down at the kitchen table.

“Oh, my, god.”I breathed.”Something sweet!”

I grabbed a handful of cookies, popping them one at a time into my mouth. I nearly collapsed in my seat as the cookies melted in my mouth. I groaned in approval, giving my mom a thumbs up. I swallowed hard, trying to push the cookies down my dry throat.

“Milk?”My dad reached into the fridge, pulling out the gallon I was waiting for.

“Please.”I groaned loudly.”Devin, these cookies are as good as you! Maybe I’ll stick with them.”

“Okay. That means I can go home now.”He grinned.

“Have fun walking!”I chimed in.

We all laughed loudly, finding Devin, who had risen from his seat, sit back down in defeat. For nearly an hour I continued to tell my parents about school, telling them I would soon be going for my Masters Degree. They nearly applauded me and couldn’t explain how happy and proud they were. I could only smile and feel how excited I was to be home. My mom mentioned having everyone over for a barbeque and I couldn’t say no.

It had been so long since I had a family barbeque and I couldn’t wait any longer. I dipped my fortieth cookie into my cup of milk and bit down on it, feeling the different flavors and textures mix together wonderfully. My dad sat at the table, lighting a cigarette at the same time. I dug into my bag, pulling one out for myself and even Devin. It was rare that he smoked, but when he did it was ether for the good or for the bad nerves.

Hopefully it was for the good. As we puffed on our nicotine sticks, my dad asked, “Did you see Jimmy yet?”

“I saved the best for last.”I smiled.”I think for today I’m going to wait it out. It’s almost six o’ clock anyway.”

“Have you spoken to him since you left?”My mom sat next to my dad, cupping his hand in hers.

He squeezed her hand, smiling happily.

“I called him every week. Just like you guys.”I was excited to walk up to his door.

I couldn’t picture his face in my head when he saw me. I was hoping he looked healthy and was taking care of himself. Now that I was home, I would be able to see for myself if he had been doing things the right way. He had promised over the phone multiple times that he was doing everything the doctor said, but even a seventy year old man will go against the doctor’s wishes at some point in life.

I’ve spoken plenty of times to Matt while I was away. He told me that Jimmy was okay and not to worry. Then again he knew how I felt. He would worry to if he hadn’t seen him in a while. I’ve talked to Brian a few times, calling him every couple of weeks for an update on things. He seemed to be doing well whenever I get a hold of him. Zacky had done the same, hitching himself a girlfriend in the process.

I wondered how pretty she was or if she was a complete hog, but it was none of my concern. So long as Zacky was happy, then I was happy. As for Johnny, well, that’s just Johnny. I stretched, letting out a long needed yawn. I looked at Devin and smiled warmly. My parents had welcomed him in as well, hugging him and shaking his hand. They asked how his schooling was going and from what I could hear and tell, he was doing just fine.

I stood from my seat and rinsed my cup in the sink. When I turned, Devin and my parents were still conversing at the table. It put a good feeling in me to know that my life has turned around for the better. I was doing fairly well before Devin and I got together, before Jimmy and his friends came into the picture. Yet once things were set in, everything decided to go uphill for everyone, in my eyes at least.

I crossed my arms over my chest and gave a happy grin. I planned on sitting back in my room with Devin by my side and watch a well needed movie. Maybe I could talk him into watching the Lion King. I was in desperate need for my favourite Disney movie. Devin turned to look at me and gave me the sweetest of smiles. He got up and met me in the kitchen. I leaned back on the counter and said, “What’s up, Dev?”

“Since it’s your first day back, I understand if you want to relax. But I was thinking,”He grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze.”want to go out to eat? Maybe catch a movie after? My treat.”

“Wendy’s?”I smirked.

“No,”He chuckled.”I meant a real diner. A real food place where we can sit and relax.”

“What movie did you want to see, babe?”I leaned into him, allowing him to release my hand and wrap an arm around my shoulder.

“I was thinking Priest. Looks like a good, gory film. I think you actually might enjoy this one.”He smiled.

“Sounds good to me.”I stood on my tip toes, giving him a quick peck on the lips.

He slightly blushed, knowing my parents were only a few feet away. Devin followed me by the table and I gave my parents another hug.

“Devin and I are gonna go out to eat.”I said.”Catch a movie after. I’ll see you guys later, alright?”

“You can go so long as you bring a doggie bag home.”My dad smirked.

“I’ll try my best, but there will be a certain someone in the car who might get at it before you.”I chuckled.

“Better not.”My dad playfully glared Devin down.

“I’ll see you guys later!”I waved them off before heading toward the car.

As we rattled off different names for dinner, Devin and I decided on one of the best Italian restaurants in town. We sat down to eat, munching down hungrily on the bread they placed at our table before our food came. As our plates we placed in front of our faces, we dug in, enjoying every bite that there was. In the middle of our small feast, Devin looked up and stated, “Your birthday is in a few days. What do you have in mind?”

“Nothing.”I shrugged.”You know I’ve never been a big birthday gal.”

“You’re going to be twenty one, Hillari.”Devin scoffed.”How could you not celebrate your twenty first birthday? What happened to my party girl?”

“She’s still here.”I smirked.”But birthday parties aren’t my thing. They remind me of being a little kid.”

“When I turned twenty one,”Devin sipped at his drink, washing down the load of steak in his throat.”my dorm had a fucking blow out. Drinks galore.”

“That’s good. At least you made a friend.”I snickered.

“You’re hilarious.”He glared.

“I like to think so.”I took hold of my soda, downing half the glass easily.

“You really don’t want to celebrate your birthday?”He frowned.

“Not really. Maybe me and you can hit up a bar. Do some karaoke, but that’s about it. Maybe we can bring the guys along.”I shrugged my shoulders, biting into the delicious cheeseburger on my plate.

“Alright. Sounds good to me.”Devin smiled.

After a few more minutes, we finished our plates and paid our tab. I grabbed Devin’s hand and tried to skip my way to the car.

“Come on!”I groaned.”Just one skip!”

“Nope.”I tugged at his hand every time I leapt forward, but he didn’t budge from his walking stance.

“Just because you have huge muscles doesn’t mean you can’t show your true colours.”I glared playfully.

“Sorry, but I think I’m good right now.”He smirked.

“I will fucking,”I raised my fist to hit him lightly, but he tightly gripped my fist in his hand.

He yanked me toward him, forcing me to crash into his chest. I groaned quietly, pulling my hand from his light grasp. He laughed loudly as I pushed him, making him stumble back only slightly.

“Tough ass.”He snickered.

“I’m tougher than most girls you know.”I skipped forward once, looking back to smile in his direction.

“It’s not happening, Hillari.”He stated matter of factly.

“Not even a single skip?”I pleaded.”It’s really not that bad. It wont hurt your appearance. It might actually help it, now that I think about it.”

“Alright, you know what,”Devin reached forward, pulling me up and into his arms.

I giggled quietly as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

“This would be much easier if you just skipped your merry ass to my car.”I smiled.

“I think I can handle a tiny person in my arms for a few feet.”He found his way to my driver’s door and gently placed me back on my feet.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him into a tight hug. I breathed heavily, smelling his strong cologne. I let a smile come to my lips as he stroked my hair. He was the sweetest man I could ever meet and I was so proud and happy with him. No one else could take his place, even if he wanted that for me. I kissed him on his lips, not wanting to pull away for even a second. He ruined it after a few moments and pressed his forehead to mine.

“You’re still the most beautiful girl in the world.”He whispered.

A soft shade of red flashed against my cheeks which made him laugh. I gave him one last hug before he popped open my door. I stepped in, allowing him to shut it behind me.

“What times does this movie start?”I asked as he got into his seat.

“Ten o’ clock.”Devin replied.

“What time is it now?”I questioned.

“Seven thirty.”He smiled.

“Then we have plenty of time.”I grinned.

I pushed the keys into the ignition, but never turned it on. I looked over at Devin, smiling dubiously.

“Wanna try out the backseat?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you commenters;;
Violent Ecstasy
Maxxie.
um…idk
Aightball
Musicalness99
Phantom!
shelbyvengeance
Lone_Wolf
mistery gurl
Hello Fascination.

Thankyou subscribers! :D