‹ Prequel: Adolescent

Mature

Keep Me Sane

I starred down at the screen on my phone and bit down on my bottom lip hard. I was in the process of calling Devin and telling him the deal, but I didn't quite want him to worry. The most I could do at this point was swallow my courage and press send. When it began to ring I guided it slowly to my ear. By the time I did so, Devin had already answered.

"Hey, sweetheart."I felt butterflies in my stomach roam back when I heard his sweet, caring voice."How are you?"

"I think I'm a mess."I frowned.

"Why's that?"I didn't know where to begin.

I just went on and vented everything I had on my chest. I told Devin about the new girl, Angela, who would be on tour. I explained how I didn't like her until she was there to comfort me. How Jimmy had held a small meeting in the tour bus that I had walked in on. I was confused, upset, but fairly happy in an odd way. I let out a sigh when I finally finished.

"That's a little crazy."Devin chuckled."I'm always on the other end of the line if you need me, babe. You know that."

"I know."I forced a small smile, not that he could see it."I'm just worried. So worried that I did something kind of wrong, I guess."

"Oh shit,"Devin breathed."did you kill Johnny?"

"No,"I chuckled."I'm trying to be serious over here."

"Go ahead, Hillari. What happened?"He asked politely.

"I called up my school. I'm suspending my classes until next semester."I frowned.

"Oh, what a coincidence."I was simply stumped by his reply.

I was expecting a little lecture or him to question me on why I had done that.

"What do you mean?"I asked.

"Just so happens I did the same thing."I gasped at his reply.

"No!"I stated in a frustrated tone."You didn't!"

"I did."He laughed."Your parents told me the deal. Just in case I was needed at any given time, I did the same thing. It kind of works, though, because I can help my mom around the house."

I placed my head in my hands and shook my head.

"You are too good for me."I smiled.

"Oh, I know that already. I just stick around for the sex."I laughed loudly at his comment.

"See I was going to break it off because of the sex."I tried to hold back more of my laughter."You're not good enough for me, Devin."

"I'm hanging up."Devin burst into laughter before I did."Oh, by the way, I have a surprise for you."

"A surprise?"My shoulders slumped.

As much as I loved Devin to death, he knew I didn't care for surprises. It was sweet of him to do it anyway, but he never had to.

"What is it?"I asked.

"Did you not hear me say it was a surprise?"He chuckled."Duh."

"Well, you and I both know I don't care for surprises. So if you tell me now, I'll act surprised."I smiled.

"Sorry, gotta go."Devin laughed."No, ask Matt if you want to know so bad."

It was a bit of a coincidence, however, because Jimmy was calling me to the front of the bus. I arched my eyebrows in confusion before turning back toward the phone. I was going to take advantage of the hint Devin was willing to give me.

"Actually, I have to go too."I said."Jimmy's calling me. I think I'll corner Shadows later and ask him."

"Okay, I'll call you later, Hillari."Devin said sweetly."I love you."

"I love you too, Dev."I hung up and shoved the phone into my jeans.

I stood from my amazing water bed and pushed the curtain away from the door. I walked into the living room area of the bus, where the guys sat either playing their video games or watching some sort of horror flick. I found Jimmy in the middle, a forced smile pressed against his lips. A young man stood beside him, brown, curly hair circling his head.

I walked up with my suspisions, but Jimmy quickly introduced us. This was the kid Arin, who Shadows was talking about earlier today. He stuck out his hand and stated how nice it was too meet me. It was weird meeting a new, temporary, drummer for the band. I would think of Avenged Sevenfold as the guys I knew and loved. Not a random tag along.

"Nice to meet you, Arin. I'm Hillari."I played polite and quickly excused myself.

Shadows walked out of the tour bus, giving me the perfect opportunity to grab him. I waved Jimmy and Arin off before making my way toward the door.

"Get out of the way!"Johnny cried.

"Stay there!"I froze in front of the tv, blocking only Johnny's view.

"You're cheating!"Johnny frowned.

"It's a video game!"I reached down toward the tv and gave Brian and Johnny a smirk.

"No!"I turned off the tv, forcing both of them to fumble with their handles.

"Have fun guys!"I made my way toward the door, smiling as Angela started to come up the steps.

"How you feelin', honey?"She placed a warm hand on my shoulder as I scooted past her.

"Better, thankyou."She waved me off as I stepped onto the concrete.

I could hear from the inside that Angela was pushing the guys to get ready. They had already wasted time by playing video games and waiting for Arin. They needed to finish setting up and try to fit in a practice round or two. The further I walked away, the less bitching I could hear from the guys. Shadows was nowhere in sight, so I walked around the bus.

When I got to the back of the bus, he was leaned up against it, cigarette in hand. I gave him a questioning look before saying, "You never smoke. What's wrong?"

"Just needed one."He shrugged.

"You only smoke when you have a bad feeling."I patted my pockets for my own cigarettes, but they were inside.

"Here."Shadows pushed his pack in my direction, forcing my mouth to drop slightly.

As I pulled one out and got a light, I said, "And you bought your own pack. You're stressed."

"I'm okay, really."He chuckled."I just wanted a smoke. It's becoming a habit again."

"That sucks."I inhaled deeply on the nicotine and scrunched up my face at the non menthol.

Shadows laughed loudly before adding, "I guess I forgot to mention that they aren't menthol."

"Thanks."I sucked it up and kept smoking."I have a big question for you, Shadows."

I walked up in front of him, trying to play intimidating. However, my position didn't work very well given that he was a good few inches taller and much, much larger. He tried to hide his smile as I grew closer.

"Hit me."He said.

"I was talking to Devin earlier,"I began.

"Congratulations."He grinned.

"and he said he had a surprise for me. I know you know what's going on. What is it?"I asked.

"Don't worry about it."He took the last drag of his cigarette before flicking it away.

"I am worrying about it. What is it?"I crossed my arms over my chest and stepped in front of him when he turned to walk away.

"Really?"He chuckled.

"Really."I smirked."What, is, it?"

"I'm not telling you, Hillari."He laughed."Oh, you hear that? I have to go. Angela is calling."

"She can wait."I stepped in front of him again and tried to hide my smile.

"You're making this worse for yourself. You think I can't get passed you?"He grinned.

"I know you can, but I'm wasting time. Maybe if I waste enough than you'll tell me."I said.

"There isn't enough time in the world that would make me tell you."He patted my shoulder lightly before adding, "Excuse me."

"You're really not going to tell me?"I moved with him, trying to keep him in place.

"No, I'm not."Shadows took hold of my shoulders and easily pushed me aside.

"I'll try later!"I let out a huff before heading back toward the bus.

It was within the next few hours that I helped the bands with whatever they needed. I happy to be able to sit back backstage and enjoy a nice, refreshing beer. Everyone was packed behind the curtains and in the small hang out room. It was getting quite smokey and hot in here from all the guys. I got up to leave, but the loud knocking on the door stopped me.

That was all I needed. One more extra person in the room to make it better. I tried to squeeze passed Jacoby and Moose, but they stayed put. In a low growl, I asked, "Guys, seriously, I need to get out."

"Don't you wanna stay?"Moose's eyes grazed the door, forcing me to follow.

I let out a girlish squeal when Devin walked into the room. I pushed through the guys and nearly jumped into his arms. He began laughing as I planted a much needed kiss on his cheek.

"I missed you so much!"I pulled him into another hug and let out a quiet sigh when he wrapped his arms around me.

"I know. Matt told me to come on out earlier today. I'm here for the next few days with you."I took him hungrily by the chin and pulled him into a kiss.

The room errupted into awe's, forcing both Devin and I to smile into the kiss. I turned toward Shadows and threw a hefty punch into his arm.

"Why didn't you tell me!"I joked.

"It's a surprise! You know, the don't tell the person we're surprising kind of thing!"He smirked.

I turned back toward Devin and gave him a happy grin.

"I'm so happy you're here. Maybe you'll make me sane again."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you commenters;;
Violent Ecstasy
Maxxie.
um…idk
Aightball
Musicalness99
Phantom!
shelbyvengeance
Lone_Wolf
mistery gurl
Hello Fascination.
Foreveryoung14
XXKillxxJoyXX
shasha24
ForeverPlagued
Im Candy Baby
KellShadows

Thankyou subscribers! :D