‹ Prequel: Adolescent

Mature

Life Altering Question

Jimmy relaxed back into his couch, a steaming cup of coffee in his hands. He let out a loud sigh as the cushions pulled him into the couch. He flicked on the tv and rested his head back against the recliner. His lips slowly pulled up into a smirk, knowing he was finally going to relax like he had been trying to do for the past few days.

He flipped through multiple channels, finding that nothing good was actually on. It was when he caught HBO and smiled wildly to himself. Boondock Saints was just beginning, so he hunkered further down into the couch. He dropped the remote to the side and sipped slightly at his hot cup of coffee. He pulled back quickly as it burned the tip of his lip.

He glared down at the cup, almost as if it wanted to hurt him. He set it down on the small coffee table and propped his feet up. Just as he got comfortable and into the wonderful movie, his phone began to vibrate over and over. He groaned loudly and shoved his hand into his pocket. The name on the front read Devin, so he silenced it and put it in his lap.

He grew rather annoyed when it rang again. He decided to pick it up, however, just in case something bad had happened. He would forever be guilty if Devin or Hillari needed help and he only ignored their call. He put the phone to his ear and said, "Hey, Dev. What's up?"

Nothing much. Look, are you going to be home for a few minutes? I need to talk to you.

Jimmy arched his eyebrows in confusion, but nodded his head anyway. He knew Devin couldn't see him, but it made him feel better doing it.

"Yeah, why? Is everything okay?"Jimmy sat up slightly, growing a little worried at Devin's tone.

Oh, I hope so. I'll be over in a few. I'll see you then, alright?

"Sounds good, Devin."Before he hung up, he asked, "Hey, Dev. You sure everything's okay?"

Yeah. Everything's good.

"Alright. Call me if you need anything. I may be half crippled, but I'll do the best I can."Jimmy smiled, trying to lighten the mood.

When Jimmy hung up, he found himself not paying much attention to his favourite movie. He kept hearing Devin over and over in his head, sounding as if something serious was wrong. He seemed a little nervous and was quick to answer Jimmy. He let out a deep breath and tried to focus back on the movie. If something was wrong, Devin would have told him.

As the infamous bar fight in McGinty's bar appeared on the screen, Jimmy heard a few knocks coming at his front door. He shouted for them to come in and nearly passed out when he saw Devin. He seemed okay, but shakey. He didn't sport any cuts or bruises, so his physical health was okay. Jimmy got up and pulled Devin into a tight hug.

"So, what's up? Everyone alright?"Devin chuckled lightly at his question.

Jimmy didn't find it funny what so ever. Jimmy sat back into the fluffy couch as Devin took a seat on the coffee table. His hands rubbed down the fabric of his jeans every few seconds; he was pertrified about something. Jimmy reached toward his cigarettes on his right and pushed one in between his lips. He offered Devin one, who happily took it.

Devin was like Matt; he only smoked when under pressure or stress. Jimmy arched his eyebrows in confusion as he puffed heavily from the cancer stick. Jimmy inhaled deeply and pulled the cigarette from his lips. He sat up slightly and said, "So, what's going on, Dev?"

"I have a life altering question for you, Jimmy."He sighed.

He ran a nervous hand down his face and Jimmy quickly grew into the conversation. What kind of question did he have to ask that made him so scared? He watched as Devin reached into his front pocket and his mouth slowly gaped open. He popped open a small, velvet red box and showed off a small, but pricey diamond ring.

Jimmy's flickered his gaze up to Devin, who's smile slowly grew. He snapped the box shut and said, "Jimmy, I'm asking for your blessing so I can marry your daughter."

Jimmy's mouth fell open at the sudden question. He snapped it shut, unsure of how to even begin his answer. Jimmy stubbed out his half smoked cigarette and ran a heavy hand down his face. He could feel his eyes begin to water, even before he knew Hillari's answer to the question. He chuckled lightly and nodded his head.

"Of course you do, man."Jimmy stood and pulled Devin into a tight, but warming hug.

Jimmy sniffled slightly and playfully punched him in the shoulder.

"Of course you fucking do. I just,"He shook his head, simply in disbelief."my little girl is growing up."

Devin nudged Jimmy in the arm lightly as he wiped at his tearing eyes.

"She's not that old, man."Devin said softly."She's still your little girl."

"My Little Sullivan."He breathed.

"She's never gonna out grow you, Jimbo."Devin smiled.

Jimmy sat down on the edge of the couch and felt his lips pull up into a genuinely happy smile. He could remember meeting Hillari for the first time. It was like that memory was on replay. Though she was already seventeen at the time, Jimmy felt as though he had known Hillari since she was born. Hillari felt like a real daughter.

Not a young girl who's life he waltzed into seventeen years after birth. Jimmy felt as though he had raised her from diapers. He chewed down on his bottom lip and wiped at his tears once more. He was so proud of her, even if she had no idea yet. He knew she would accept his offer, which upset him even more. Jimmy would be giving his little girl away forever.

He looked up at Devin, who pushed his cigarette out in the over flowing ash tray on the table. Jimmy caught his eyes before asking, "Did you talk to Ken and Michelle yet?"

"Yeah."Devin's smile grew."Michelle started bawling her eyes out and Ken choked me in a hug. They're happy for me. I recieved their blessing too."

"I'm happy you asked me as well."Jimmy smiled.

"Why wouldn't I?"Devin frowned."You're Hillari's father as much as Ken and Michelle are."

Jimmy choked back a quiet sob. You're Hillari's father as much as Ken and Michelle are. He could still hear Ken saying the exact same thing. Jimmy cleared his throat from the exciting tears and tried to regain his posture. He smiled up at Devin and said, "I know you'll do her good. You guys really love each other. In no time you're going to be old and wrinkley in your own home."

"I don't want to think that far ahead. I want to stay young as long as I can."Jimmy nodded his head, only agreeing with him.

"I don't blame you. I'm forty and look at me."He laughed.

Jimmy rose his hand in Devin's direction and asked, "Let me see the ring?"

Devin pulled the small box from his pocket and placed it gently in Jimmy's hand. Jimmy, with a small struggle, popped open the box and starred down at the beautiful ring. It was small, but still held such value. Jimmy knew Hillari would be angry that Devin had spent so much money on the ring. She was always like that.

Jimmy handed it back and said, "It's beautiful dude. Congratulations. I'm happy for you, bro."

"Thanks."Devin dug the ring back into his pocket and smiled.

"And you know, for a moment there, I thought you were going to propose to me."Jimmy smirked."I would have said yes, just so you know."

"Oh, I figured."They laughed loudly at Jimmy's remark.

"Oh, let me get some beers. We have to fucking celebrate, dude."Jimmy rose from his seat and walked into the kitchen.

He popped open the fridge and reached far into the back. He emerged back into the living room, juggling four beers in one arm. He set them down and popped the top on the edge of the table. He rose his beer to Devin and said, "For a long and healthy marriage."

Devin clanked his dark bottle against Jimmy's and they happily stole a large swig of the musky beer. Jimmy set his beer down in his lap and felt the corners of his lips pull up into a smile. Jimmy could picture Hillari already; her white dress flowing well passed her feet. Her hair pulled up into a beautiful design. Jimmy's eyes watered slightly as he thought about it.

He was so proud for the both of them, but he didn't want to see his little girl grow up already. He was only just getting to know her. He sipped lightly from his beer as he thought about their next step. He chuckled lightly, thinking of bouncing a tiny baby in his arms. Calm down, Jimmy. He shook his head, only because he knew that they would take that very road.

"My little girl is all grown up."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you commenters;;
Violent Ecstasy
Maxxie.
um…idk
Aightball
Musicalness99
Phantom!
shelbyvengeance
Lone_Wolf
mistery gurl
Hello Fascination.
Foreveryoung14
XXKillxxJoyXX
shasha24
ForeverPlagued
Im Candy Baby
KellShadows
dawn8279
Alyx Khaos
RavenNightmare1

Thankyou subscribers! :D

See, I told you guys! :D
Hope you guys enjoyed it!
I loved writing this chapter :)