‹ Prequel: Adolescent

Mature

So Proud Of You

It had only been one week since I had told my parents that Devin had asked for my hand in marriage. The days went by quick and rather uneventful. I had taken the time to speak with Jimmy over the phone, without giving him the good news of course. He seemed like he had no idea, which was only a plus in my book. I wanted to surprise him.

In fact, I wanted to surprise everyone. My parents had riled up the family and friends for a barbeque. They needed no excuse to get everyone to come over. I brushed my hair back from my eyes and felt a low growl pucker at the bottom of my throat. My hair always let me do what I want with it. Yet today, it seemed to have gone on strike.

I brushed it back multiple times and sprayed it continuously, but I couldn't seem to get it right. I let my brush drop from my fingers and stepped out of my bathroom. I was done dealing with something that wasn't going to cooperate. I slowly slid my ring from my finger and stuck it in between my bathing suit and skin. I was going to tell everyone when we sat down to eat.

It almost brought tears to my eyes when I thought about that very special night Devin and I shared. It was hard to believe that we were once only eleven or so years old and just meeting. Granted, we didn't like eachother much when we first met, but after a year or two we managed to click. Amy was the sweet, caring woman she always was, but seemed more relaxed now.

She had snagged an office job in town that was allowing her to pay the bills on time. It was like yesterday that I would walk into the house and find her slaving over the kitchen table, a cigarette clung dangerously tight between her lips from the stress. I let out a quiet sigh and ran my hands down my sun dress. It was casual, but light enough to wear in the heat.

A light knock came at my door and I flicked my gaze in that general direction. My mom pushed open the door and peeked her head in. She smiled warmly at me before saying, "You coming out any time soon? Everyone's been here for at least a good hour or so. Matt and some pretty girl just showed up. Everyone's here now. Hurry up!"

She quietly closed the door behind her and walked away. I felt my lips curl into a smile before I slipped my flip flops on my feet. Matt and a pretty girl. Angela was back and I was more than excited to say hello. She had been staying at Big Bear for a few weeks just to stay close enough to get to Jimmy in a case of need.

I shifted my bikini strap before heading toward my bedroom door. I had been thinking a lot about Matt and was certainly wondering when he was going to ask Angela on their first date. He seemed to be falling over himself at even the slightest mention of her name. It made me stifle back a giggle as I thought about his large stature becoming jello in her presence.

I nearly skipped out of my room and started my walk downstairs. Like always, I jumped through the small opening and landed hard on the couch. I could picture my dad to the side, cupping his coffee mug and wincing back as he waited for the hot liquid to spill on his hands. I walked toward the glass doors and slid it open with ease.

I made my way around the back yard and said my hellos to everyone. My Aunt, Uncle and three cousins were here from Arizona, which really surprised me. They had mentioned that they planned on coming out for a long time; I didn't expect them to make it today. I knew my parents hadn't spilled the news, so it just happened to be a happy coincidence.

I heard a loud squeal of excitement and lifted my head in the direction. Angela came running, full tilt, at me and I winced back. She wrapped her arms tightly around my chest, nearly knocking me over. I laughed loudly at her enthusiasm and wrapped my arms over her neck. She squeezed onto me tight and said, "It's been so long! How are you?!"

Matt walked up behind her, a beer bottle laced within his fingers. I felt my ring dig into my skin and held back a quiet whimper. I pulled away from Angela and said, "I've been good! Really good, actually. How about yourself? How's Big Bear treating you?"

Her cheeks flushed a bright red as she whispered, "You mean Matt's house?"

I arched my eyebrows in confusion and looked up at Matt. He snaked an arm over his shoulder and said, "I couldn't have her staying in the woods all by herself."

"What a wonderful excuse."I laughed."Hi, Matt."

I hugged him tightly before looking around the yard. Everyone really was here, just like my mom had said. It put a wave of butterflies into my stomach, knowing that within an hour or two I would be showing off my engagement ring. I swallowed hard and excused myself from Angela and Matt. After snaking away from the old family and friends, I smiled when Jimmy and Devin caught my eye.

I snuck up behind the two and plopped down on the bench. Jimmy looked over confused, but once I caught his eye, his facial features lit up. He wrapped me into a tight hug and I chuckled softly into his shoulder. Loudly, he said, "Hillari!"

"Hi Jimmy!"I reached toward Devin and pecked him sweetly on the lips."Don't worry, I didn't forget about you."

"I would hope not."He chuckled."This is really nice. I mean, I know ninety percent of your family, but now I know them all."

"Exactly. My Aunt Renee, Uncle Shamus, Clair, Sharon and Jay are from Arizona, so they don't come around much."I turned toward Jimmy and finished with, "How are they treating you, Jimmy? The rents introduce you guys?"

"Yes, they did. They were,"He scratched at the back of his head with his right hand as he faught for words."weery, I guess. But after talking to them for a few minutes proved that I wasn't a psychopathic killer who's going to frame your dad for your murder. Or a drug addict. They kept eyeing my sling."

My eyes widened and he began to cackle loudly. He pulled me into a sideways hug as I said, "Wow. I didn't think you had that kind of imagination."

"Trust me darlin', you have no idea."I chuckled lightly and made small talk with the guys.

Nearly ten minutes later my dad was shouting that the food was ready. I waited as everyone gathered their food and found a seat at one of the long tables. I looked toward my dad and he offered me a quick wink. I smiled warmly and reached into the cooler for a beer. I shook the water from it and popped it open on the table beside me.

I made a small plate of food, but eating at a time like this only made my stomach hurt. Devin had left a spot open for me and I sat down beside him. I snaked my ring from inside my suit before slipping it onto my finger under the table. Devin laced his fingers with mine and he smiled warmly at me. He leaned over and whispered, "Don't worry about a thing, Hillari."

"It's so scary."I snickered."And I'm just talking to family!"

"It's going to go fine."He smiled.

I waited for a few minutes and let everyone enjoy themselves. I ate only half of my burger and was working on my third beer. I was nervous, but I think every woman would be when they were going to stand before a large family and a great amount of friends. Devin gave me a wink before standing from his seat. I followed after him and said, "Hey, guys! Listen for a minute. We have something we want to say."

The group slowly fell silent and all eyes fell on Devin and I. I swallowed hard, but couldn't help from letting my smile snake it's way across my face. I took hold of my beer and rose it slightly in the air. Proudly, I said, "This man right here is the love of my life. And just a week ago he made it official. We're getting married!"

Mouths dropped and silence filled the yard. As my smile started to fade, however, everyone errupted into proud and happy cheers. I watched as Matt, Angela, Johnny, Zacky, Jimmy and Brian stood from their seats, clapping loudly and whistling. I chuckled lightly and leaned up against Devin. Brian started hitting his fist against the table shouting, "Kiss! Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!"

I blushed madly as my family and friends started in on the taunt. I looked up at Devin and wrapped my arms around his neck. I dangled my beer between my fingers as I pressed a firm, passionate kiss against his lips. The crowd only grew louder at our heated moment. I pulled away as Devin said, "I love her! Simple as that!"

I pulled away from Devin and watched as Amy, his mother, rose from her seat. Her make up was already beginning to run down her plump cheeks as she pulled the both of us into a hug. Amy had become like a second mother to me over the hundreds of years Devin and I had known each other. Her and my mom were close friends as well, so she was indeed welcomed into the family fast.

She cried and whimpered into Devin and my shoulder as she tried to explain how happy she was for us. My parents and Jimmy stepped up before everyone else and hugged us each seperately. Amy yanked me into her arms and pressed a sloppy, wet kiss on my cheek. She wiped away her tears and said, "Thank god! I am so unbelievably proud of you, Hillari. You're a beautiful girl and you deserve only the best."

She turned toward Devin and smiled happily. She gave me a wink and said, "And so does he, I guess."

Some people may call Devin and I too young or too naive. Yet I believe when you really know the meaning of love, you know. I had been with Devin for four long years before he had asked for my hand. He was patient, kind, loving and such a gentleman. He took his time in our relationship and that was all I could ask for.

Everyone in the yard spent a large portion of the night coming up the Devin and I. We thanked them multiple times and earned many hugs and kisses. Most of the women cried, while the men hugged and congratulated us with wide smiles. Angela stepped over and tried to hide the smile on her face. She was grinning from ear to ear; she was truly happy for us.

Angela had known me for such a short time. I had met her on the short tour we had and my first impression of her wasn't good. It was after she had took the time to come and talk to me that I knew she was a good woman. She was sweet, a little on the shy side, but a wonderful woman. She grasped my hand in hers and kissed me softly on the cheek.

"I am so happy for you, Hillari. I'm sure you two will grow old and wrinkley together."She winked.

"Thanks, Angela."I chuckled.

"And you're only twenty one, right?"She asked.

"Yeah, twenty one and proud."I grinned.

"Wow."She shook her head."I can't believe it. You're so young, but I can't complain. I can tell just by the way Devin looks at you how much he loves you. You guys are going to be together forever. I can already tell."

"Aw,"I felt my eyes well up slightly in tears."thankyou, Angela."

I pulled her into a hug and held back the warm, salty tears in my eyes. Angela was definately the person to run to when you had any sort of problem. Or if you just needed a good talking to. I pulled away and she rested her hands on my shoulders.

"He seems like a good boy."She said."Go have fun! The party is just getting started!"

"Did you bring a bathing suit?"I stole a swig of my beer and laughed when she shook her head.

"No way."She laughed.

"Trust me when I say you will get in the pool one way or another."I winked."I've learned my lesson multiple times."

"They haven't faught me yet."She chuckled.

Her eyes flickered up and behind me suddenly. I felt a slight tug on my elbow and turned to find Jimmy. He gave Angela a shy wave before asking, "You don't mind if I steal her for a moment, do you?"

"Absolutely not!"She smiled."I'm gonna grab me another beer anyway."

"Thankyou Angela!"Jimmy smiled.

Angela walked away and I gave Jimmy a toothy grin. He ran a hand down his face and chuckled.

"Devin is one lucky guy, Hillari."He smiled."I'm so proud of you."

"Oh, he knows it."I smirked."Thankyou, Jimmy."

"It's weird knowing your daughter is going to be getting married soon."He frowned slightly."I feel like you're not grown up yet. Wanna go back to being seventeen again? Fuck it. Make it the diaper stage."

"Sorry, Jimmy."I brushed my fingers along his right arm."Can't do that. Trust me, I would if I could."

Jimmy hugged me tightly and I felt him sigh. I pulled away and watched as his eyes welled over in warm tears. I stifled an aw before saying, "Don't worry, Jimmy. I'm still gonna be your Little Sullivan."

He bit down on his bottom lip and only nodded his head. Quietly, he breathed, "I know."

"It's not like I'm moving far away or anything."I frowned.

"I know, sweetheart, I know."He wrapped an arm over my shoulder."It just seems like yesterday when I was fumbling through my phone and trying to call you. I had to light a fire under my ass to do it."

"I don't blame you. I was nervous too."I said softly.

"Just,"He stopped for a moment."stop growing, okay? You're all grown up now. I can't handle it. Take your time, Hillari, because I want this to last forever."

I stifled back a whimper and nodded my head. He chuckled lightly as a few tears managed to crawl down my cheeks. He brushed them away with his thumb as I whispered, "I'll try my best."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you commenters;;
Violent Ecstasy
Maxxie.
um…idk
Aightball
Musicalness99
Phantom!
shelbyvengeance
Lone_Wolf
mistery gurl
Hello Fascination.
Foreveryoung14
XXKillxxJoyXX
shasha24
ForeverPlagued
Im Candy Baby
KellShadows
dawn8279
Alyx Khaos
RavenNightmare1
bloodravyn
NME_foREVer_6661

Thankyou subscribers! :D

This was so fun to write!
I feel like I got a lot of people's emotions put into this.
I hope you guys enjoyed it! :D