‹ Prequel: Adolescent

Mature

Jimmy's Big Day

I found myself pacing nervously throughout the backyard as Brian set up his accustic guitar and microphone. Both Matt and Brian had explained to me numerous times that even if I did mess up, Jimmy would still be proud of me. It was the fact that I could mess up that worried me. It didn't matter if Jimmy would still like it; I wanted him to hear the real thing, not a messed up version.

With shaking hands, I ran my fingers through my curled brown hair. I had taken the time to dress nicely for Jimmy's forty first birthday. I took in a deep breath when my parents and Devin walked into Brian's back yard. I quickly rushed to their side and pulled them into a hug. They knew I had a surprise for Jimmy, but they weren't sure exactly what it was.

When they saw that Brian was setting up his guitar and mic, they gave me a questioning look. My dad pointed in his direction and asked, "Are you singing, by any chance?"

"Yes."I groaned inwardly."I am. I'm so afraid. I don't think this is a good idea anymore."

"You'll do okay, Hillari."Zacky linked his arm in my own and continued with, "She's freaking the fuck out for no reason."

"I can tell."My mom snickered quietly."You'll do fine, sweetheart."

"Come on, Brian wants you to try out the mic."Zacky pulled me along and I waved nervously in my parents direction.

The party seemed to come together as people began to show up. Brian and I had gone over the song multiple times and I felt like it was beginning to come together. It was something so special to me and I could only hope Jimmy would feel the same way. I clutched the mic tightly within my fingers as my mom made her way over to us.

Angela stepped over and said, "Jimmy should be here soon. We'll have Brian introduce you in. Jimmy is going to be so shocked!"

"I hope so."I mummbled quietly.

My mom pressed a warm hand to my shoulder and she smiled warmly. I looked from Angela to my mom and asked, "Mom, you remember Angela, right?"

"Yes, I do."She smiled."You were at the engagement party, right?"

"Exactly."She smiled shyly.

I opened my mouth to say just a few words, but Matt quickly quieted the entire back yard. He exclaimed that Jimmy was pulling in and we needed to stay quiet. I dropped the mic to the floor and pulled Angela and my mom along with me to the side. We could hear Jimmy and Johnny bickering as they neared the fence. I snickered to myself as he opened it and stepped through.

His facial features dropped in amazement when we errupted in cheers and callings. He chuckled lightly as Johnny pulled him into a hug. He shook his head as he went along the backyard, hugging and thanking everyone for doing something so sweet. He wrapped a heavy arm around my shoulder and said, "You guys didn't have to do this for me!"

"Aw, Jimmy, we had to!"Angela smiled."Just think of it as pay back for letting me come to the prebachlore party."

Jimmy nodded his head and hugged me tightly. I wrapped a loose arm around his waist and smiled out into the crowd. Matt didn't turn on the music, however, because Brian had stepped up to the mic. Jimmy released me and clapped his hands together the best he could and happily shouted, "Open mic night, Bri?!"

"If you want it to be."He winked.

He chuckled loudly as he fixed the mic to my height. I felt like turning on my heel and sprinting home, but I couldn't back out of something Brian, Matt and I had worked on for so long. Brian tapped at the mic and said, "Testing. Testing. One, two, three, four, five, si -"

"It works!"Johnny shouted.

With a cruel grin, Brian let his eyes fall right on me. I knew he was wasting time just to help ease my new born singing nerves. He picked up his accustic and said, "Will Hillari McMann and Sullivan please come up here?"

Jimmy looked down at me with a questioning look and asked, "What are you doing?"

"Something I hope you like."I pressed a kiss to his cheek and casually made my way up to the open mic.

I cleared my throat and felt my knees begin to buckle under the pressure. Now that I was standing up here, I wanted to back down and pretend like it was all a joke. Yet I knew that Jimmy had to find out one way or another how much I appreciated his company and courage to pick up his phone and dial my foreign number.

Brian ran his fingers gently along the strings of his guitar and asked, "You ready, Hillari?"

I let out a deep breath and slowly nodded my head. Brian began to gently pluck at the strong strings and I closed my eyes tightly. The first few moments I refused to look at the gathering crowd. I peeked over at Jimmy and whispered into the mic, "This is for you, Jimmy."

My knees are buckling cause I finally got the call. I let it slip through my fingers because I thought I had it all. But I was so wrong. There's something left to do. Put my hand on my heart and spill my feelings for you. This is different but I can't complain. Got a father that loves me. I pull at his heart strings.

I watched as Jimmy's eyes simply glazed over in warm tears. Brian began to pick up the pace on the guitar and snap at the notes much harder. I tapped my foot lightly against the ground as I continued to sing on. So far, so good.

This is for you, this is for you. The things I thought I couldn't say, but your eyes remind me of why I'm here today. You don't let me fall. You've been here for the worst. Jimmy, this is for you and the rest of our crazy, crazy course. It was like a heaven sent I could never ask for, but it was granted by you. Jimmy, dear friend, dear father, I love you.

Jimmy's eyes never left me as Brian's fingers plucked gently at the strings once more. He wiped roughly at his wet eyes, as well as my parents. I bit back a few tears as finished the sweet song with just a few more lines; Jimmy, dear friend, dear father, I love you.

Brian's sweet plucking and pulling of the strings slowly came to a stop and the crowd errupted into a fit of cheers. Jimmy didn't waste time as he pushed through the crowd and engufled me into a tight hug. I gasped quietly as he wrapped his arm around my waist and nearly pulling me off the ground. I wiped roughly at my eyes as Brian placed a warm hand on my shoulder.

"That was,"Jimmy sniffled slightly."I don't even,"

I chuckled lightly and placed the mic on the phone. I looked up at Brian and eventually Matt, who had walked over with Angela.

"All her, Jimbo. We know where she got the talent from."Matt smiled.

"Well, the song writing. Not so much the singing. You sound like a dying animal. She's sounds like an angel."Brian snickered.

"Was it good?"I spoke as if I were a young child asking permission to leave the house.

"Hillari,"Jimmy pulled me into his chest and laughed quietly."I have no words for you. It was simply amazing."

I pulled away from Jimmy and wiped at my watering eyes once more. I was congradulated multiple times throughout the night as the party continued to go on. It was when the cooler ran out of beer that I quickly escaped the back yard. I began to poke my way through Jimmy's house until I came upon his fridge. I reached out to take hold of the silver handle, but a loud crash caught my attention.

I choked on my breath as I turned in the direction of the bathroom. I quickly rushed over and pulled the door open, in fear that someone had fallen and couldn't get up. I let out a small yelp as two heads turned in my direction. My cheeks instantly blushed a bright red as I whispered, "So fucking sorry!"

I slammed the door shut and went back to the kitchen, but it didn't stop them from coming out to face me. I kept my eye glued to the floor as Matt's loud laughter echoed into the room. I ran a hand over my face, as well as Angela.

"We were only um,"Matt scratched at the back of his head.

"Making out?"Angela blushed as much as me.

"Let's not speak of this. Ever again."I stole what beer I could carry from the fridge and made my way outside.

Devin noticed the blush crawling over my cheeks as I put the alcohol away in the cooler. He wrapped an arm over my shoulder and asked, "What's wrong, sweetheart?"

"I don't even know where to begin."I chuckled lightly.

It was about time that Matt and Angela had gotten back together. It was only a matter of time. Yet as much as it was embarrasing, I couldn't wait to corner Matt and tell him I told you so.

"Turns out tonight was perfect for a few people."I smiled.

"Well, I think it's going pretty well."Devin pressed a sweet kiss to my lips and I let out a breathless sigh.

"Oh, yeah."I could already see Matt's reaction when I got to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you commenters;;
Violent Ecstasy
Maxxie.
um…idk
Aightball
Musicalness99
Phantom!
shelbyvengeance
Lone_Wolf
mistery gurl
Hello Fascination.
Foreveryoung14
XXKillxxJoyXX
shasha24
ForeverPlagued
Im Candy Baby
KellShadows
dawn8279
Alyx Khaos
RavenNightmare1
bloodravyn
NME_foREVer_6661

Thankyou subscribers! :D

Okay!
Last update for this story today!
I have this finished on paper btw >.>
It's only a matter of time now!