Lights on the Lake

-prologue-

Image

There was a shimmer in the sky and a hum in the air as the lights ascended upward, all different colors, all holding meaning to everyone who watched.

People were cheering, happy and exuberant as they watched the lights being released, floating in the air higher and higher until they almost resembled stars. The reflection of the lights moved back and forth on the lake, as if they were dancing as the water moved gracefully in the summer night breeze.

The town continued to applaud as the song they had all heard throughout their lives seemed to play simultaneously in all directions.

The festival of lights,
Another celebration, another year
Lake Vedleu, oh isn’t it beautiful to hear
The sound of cheer as the lights go on
Make sure you appreciate each glimmer,
In your life and in your heart


As the town sang along, Alana Bennett was already running, her feet sinking into the thick sand and her auburn hair wisping behind her as she pushed her way through the crowds of people. She ignored the shouting behind her, calling her name, her breathing heavy and her heart thumping. She made it to the road and into her father’s old car to drive far, far away, before the last line of the song could finish.

For in a blink of an eye, they might be gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh man, you guys, another story, I know. But I couldn't get this out of my head. If any of you knew me from Quizilla, you might have remembered a story that I wrote when I was like, fifteen, called Life's a Beach. Well, this is kind of reminiscent of that for me.

I'll see where this goes, but so far it hasn't gotten out of my brain, so I think it may stay a while.