Status: Active

Take Me Back to Your Bed

Six

Monday morning came faster than Garrett wanted. His mother woke him up by banging on his door. He got up, barely stumbled out of his room for a quick morning shower. Slowly he went through the motions of his normal Monday morning. His thoughts didn’t register about how important this day was until he was back in his room. He had his pants on, one sock and is having trouble putting on his shirt. Through the top hole of the shirt he noticed his calendar. Marked in large red letters with three circles surrounding it, making it hard to read the other dates of the calendar, was September 17th. Shit, Garrett thought as he pulled his shirt on and stared at the calendar. The large red letters said “Noah’s half-birthday surprise party!” and he recognized Roxie’s writing. It’s been a joke since their friendship started two years ago.

But this year Roxie really did plan a surprise party. One that will take place in three different places. First at school with a surprise balloon on Noah’s locker, cupcakes at lunch and loud singing of the Beatles’ song “Birthday”. Then after school the group, whoever feels like coming along, will go to the mall. Then they’ll spend all their money at the arcade on the House of the Dead game and Dance Dance Revolution. The celebration will end at Noah’s house, in Devin’s basement, drinking or smoking and they’ll probably skip school the next day as a whole.

Garrett stared at the calendar with his mouth slightly open. Did everyone forget like he did? With all the drama and fighting he and Noah went through, would this celebration still go on? What does Roxie have planned? With a loud groan when his mother returned to his door, Garrett grabbed his books and slipped on his shoes. He walked downstairs for breakfast, texting Roxie on his phone.

Are we still celebrating Noah’s half birthday?

Roxie stared at calendar when she got the text. This day totally left her mind. Roxie had felt today was a day to dress nice. So she curled her hair and put on a navy dress and white cropped leggings, a pair of navy flats on her feet. But why? The second Garrett texted her everything came back to her. She never made the cupcakes, she never bought the obnoxious balloon and she didn’t save her money for the arcade. A part of Roxie didn’t even want to throw this party for Noah. The other part of Roxie remembers the large amount of rumor texts and the apology from Noah she read earlier, Roxie figures she should just throw the party. A way of celebrating Noah’s freedom from Ryder.

Roxie quickly ran downstairs to where her mother and father sat in the kitchen, drinking coffee and reading the newspaper. Roxie stared at them for a few seconds, trying to figure out what to say before her mother looked up. “Roxanne, you look nice,” Mrs. Thompson smiled at her daughter genuinely and Roxie smiled shyly.

“Thank you. Ma, I’ve got a question.”

“Go on.” Roxie began to play with her fingers.

“It totally forgot about this joke thing for Noah. It’s her half-birthday and I’m throwing a surprise party. But I totally forgot because of how busy school is making all of us. And—.” Roxie’s mother cut her off.

“And you need me to bake cupcakes. You see, I remember baby, you told me this months ago. I’ll make the cupcakes and I’ll bring them to you around lunch time.” Then Mrs. Thompson got up from the table and walked over to her purse. She handed Roxie two twenty dollar bills. “One is for the arcade and the other is for the balloon. Tell Garrett to get over here now so you can get one at PartyCity.”

“Thank you Mama!” Roxie hugged her mother tightly before running back upstairs to get her stuff and text Garrett.

Get yo’ ass here! We got a balloon to go pick out!

Devin Campbell opened his door to reveal his girlfriend. She smiled wide as she jumped into the house to kiss him fiercely. Devin smiled against her lips, pulled her close to him before realizing that she’s here, at his house, on a Monday and not in uniform.

“You’re here,” he breathed as they let go of each other, Del nodded with the same beaming smile on her face.

“I transferred! I start tomorrow but I’m going to your school now and I get a tour today.” Devin’s face instantly lifted and he picked up Del and spun her around.

“You’re perfect.” He whispered as he put Del down, she smiled and kissed his lips softly.

“As are you. Now, are you all set for later? I got a text from Roxie saying the surprise is still on.” As soon as the words left her mouth, Devin nodded with a mischievous smile on his face.

“Yep, Garrett texted me as well. I stocked up on alcohol yesterday without Noah knowing.”

“Isn’t it your half-birthday also?”

“Yes,” Devin laughed, taking Del’s hand into his. “But I’m not like my sister, I don’t celebrate it.”

“Well then, today has to be the best day ever for her.” Devin couldn’t help but think that Delilah is perfect, again.

Devin’s phone vibrated in his pocket and he fished it out to see two text messages.

I have roxie, were going to the party store. ill text you when to bring noah

Don’t bring Noah until Gar and I are there!

Devin shook his head with a laugh before looking at Del. “Wanna smoke a cigarette with me as we wait for Noah?” Del nodded and Devin shouted towards Noah’s room. “Hurry up, Noah!” Before going outside to smoke a cigarette on the porch.

Noah sat on her bed staring at the floor. She didn’t feel like getting up. She didn’t feel like taking a shower, getting dressed or even going to school. Everyone’s going to talk about her. That Noah is a slut! She broke up with Ryder for Trey Nickelsen’s brother. I hear they were fucking for months. What a fucking slut. The thoughts of what her peers would say circled Noah’s head like vultures. Her peers are vultures. Waiting, circling for the most vulnerable to pray on.

She looked up from the floor to the dresser where her phone was vibrating like crazy. Slowly she got up off her bed, shuffled across the room to her dresser. Noah picked up her phone, noticing a few text messages. You better be coming to school today! I think Pat’s wearing a dress today. Noah giggled but she knew he was doing the drag get up next month for Halloween. She checked her next text.

hey girl. meet me at your locker as soon as you get in. Noah’s heart began racing when she saw Garrett’s name connected to the message. He wants to meet her. Maybe she didn’t mess up last night. Quickly feeling better, Noah walked to her bathroom and fixed her hair. She did her make-up, just eyeliner and mascara, then brushed her teeth. Running back to her room Noah went straight to her closet and pulled out a blue and white striped loose fitting shirt, a pair of shorts and tan boots. As soon as she was dressed and grabbed her purse, Noah went out to the porch where Devin and Del were kissing.

“Oh get a room,” she joked, making the other two flip her off and she laughed. Lighting up a cigarette, Noah and the couple walked to the twin’s shared car. It was then Noah realized that Del was with them. “Hey Del, why are you here?”

Del laughed instead of taking offense to Noah’s rather rude question. “I’m transferring to your school. I was going to before the school year started but something happened with my transfer papers. But I’m here now.” Noah smiled and welcomed her to the school she calls “the shit hole.”

Once the trio arrived to the school, Devin told Del that he was showing her his locker, which is located next to Noah’s before winking without Noah noticing. The three walked to Noah’s locker, which at that moment Devin got the signal text from Roxie. Noah rounded the corner, ignoring all the looks she is receiving and telling Del to text her if she’s ever lost. Once Noah noticed her locker, with Roxie and Garrett standing by it with wide smiles on their faces. That’s when Noah noticed the balloon. The large, HAPPY BIRTHDAY balloon connected to her locker. Noah’s face broke out into a very wide smile as she walked faster to engulf her best friends into a hug.

Once closer to the balloon, she noticed the HALF written in sharpie and an arrow between the words happy and birthday. Noah laughed. “What’s all this for? Finally celebrating my half birthday with me?” She looked to Garrett and as soon as their eyes met she looked away.

“I planned this whole day and you’re going to love it. But surprise!” Roxie smiled when Noah looked at her suspiciously. What did Roxie mean by the whole day? There’s more than just the balloon?

“I’d ask what do you have planned but I know I’d just get a vague and stupid answer.” The group laughed before the bell rang. Noah and Garrett walked off to their class, Roxie to hers as Devin and Del walked to the office about her tour and schedule. “So, G, what does Roxie have planned for this special occasion?”

“I can’t tell you, I’m sworn to secrecy.” He told her while crossing his heart which only made Noah roll her eyes. The air between them was slightly thick. Last night is still fresh in their minds. He almost gave up on her with Melody Scheck and she gave up on Ryder for him. But the two walked together to their art class, where they would sit next to each other and paint next to each other. They didn’t say much as they went through the motions, both biting their lips or stealing glances trying to figure out what to say. Their rather ditzy art teacher started to take attendance, the only time in the last five minutes that Noah and Garrett spoke only to say “here”. It was a work day, just to try and finish their paintings of whatever they wanted before the week ends. And due to various senior activities in the morning this week, the seniors in the art class only had today and Friday to finish.

Noah watched Garrett work on his painting instead of working on her own. She worked faster than him and didn’t feel like finishing. He still made sure to celebrate her stupid half-birthday today. She smiled a very small smile as Garrett looked up at her. “What?” He asked, furrowing his eyebrows and a small blush creeping up his neck.

“Nothing,” Noah laughed a little before returning to her work. She just took the same color on her brush over and over, making just the one spot perfect. She waited for the teacher to say five minutes to bell with an impatient look on her face. She wanted to get out of the class and to a different one. The quicker the day went, the quicker she’d know about the half-birthday activities. But the five minutes to bell came slower than she wanted.

Noah rested her head against the table, Garrett watched her and chuckled to himself. “What’s up with you?”

Noah groaned, “I want to know what we’re doing today.” She mumbled against the table but Garrett heard her. He laughed. “Don’t laugh!” She whined, finally picking her head up and Garrett just smiled.

“You’re the second most impatient girl I know, the first being my mother.”

“Don’t talk about your mother like that. She’s a lovely woman.”

“Yeah to you,” the two friends laughed. The awkward tension between them started to disappear and they seemed almost normal. Almost best friend’s again. Not two teens consumed with lust for each other but too afraid to fully admit it.

When Noah stopped trying to wait for the day to go by faster, it did. Lunch rolled around and Garrett had met Roxie at the office where they picked up the cupcakes from Mrs. Thompson. Noah waited at her locker for them and Devin had met up with her. “Where’s Del?” Noah asked her twin, giving him a confused look and he shrugged.

“Probably either still on a tour or getting acquainted with her teachers.” Devin lied but he’s gotten pretty good at lying to his twin. Delilah was actually setting up a table outside, where the seniors mostly sat, trying to get the rest of Noah’s friends in the school without getting caught.

John O’Callaghan had brought his friends, Tim, Eric and Max, whom Noah only slightly gets along with. Jared Monaco had brought Kennedy Brock along with him. The six well out of high school boys walked up to Del and snuck into the senior eating grounds undetected. “Wow, now why didn’t we ever leave during lunch like this?” John asked, raising an eyebrow and looking back at Jared.

“I don’t know, brah,” answered Jared, shaking his head. He really only wanted to see Roxie, even though it is technically Noah’s day.

The outside group sat down at a collection of tables, waiting for Noah, Devin, Roxie and Garrett. Pat Kirch, who had no idea what was going on due to leaving his phone in the mess he calls his room, joined his friends and brother outside. “What are you guys doing here?” He asked, furrowing his brow and running a hand through his hair.

His brother answered him, “celebrating Noah’s half birthday, sit your ass down.” Tim looked at his brother and rolled his eyes as the younger one sat down.

Noah couldn’t wait to get outside, where she walked with Devin after he got an OK text from Del and Garrett. Garrett and Roxie were already out there, handing out cupcakes minutes the best looking one meant for Noah. Devin held his hand over Noah’s eyes as they stepped outside, he slowly guided her to the table. He let her go, took his hand from her eyes and she stared at everyone with the largest smile on her face.

“Cupcakes!” She squealed as Roxie handed over the cupcake meant for Noah. Noah ate happily before waving to the other guys. “Hi guys!” She spoke once she swallowed her bite, smiling from ear to ear at each boy.

Each boy chorused a hello to the half birthday girl and smiled. John O’Callaghan was the first one up, hugging the girl from her side. “So, in six months I can call you and we can hook up, huh?” Noah rolled her eyes, pushing John away with a smile.

“No, but whatever allows you to sleep at night, O’Callaghan.” She laughed. Each boy hugged her and said something about in six months she’ll be legal. Except for Jared, who happily just told Noah happy half birthday. Then he hugged Roxie and kissed her softly.

“Oi, Roxie isn’t even 18 yet.” Noah smirked, looking at Jared before laughing slightly. Roxie flipped her best friend her middle finger and all the boys laughed.

“I will be in a month, fuck off,” Roxie retorted and more laughs erupted. Noah missed this. Just having fun with her friends. She felt like such a loser for ruining this for the past few weeks, especially with Ryder. She’s so glad that she had her friends and not that piece of shit.

Then someone called Noah’s name, she turned around with a smile on her face until a very, very cold beverage hit her face and fell down her front. Loud, shrill laughing erupted by a group of girls passing, especially the one who threw the ice cold slushie in Noah’s face. Noah wiped the sticky, cold matter from her eyes and glared at the girl. “You’re dead,” she growled before launching herself at the girl. The two went tumbling down to the ground and Noah, in a new fit of fury, punched the girl repeatedly in the face. John, Garrett and Tim all pulled Noah off the other girl. Noah kicked and tried to free herself. “I’m not fucking done, let me go. She’s fucking dead.” She didn’t scream. She talked through her teeth, completely in rage over the stupid girl who threw the red slushie in her face.

“That’s what you get for cheating on Ryder with him,” said the girl, now with a broken and bleeding nose, glaring at Garrett.

“He fucking cheated on me, too, probably with you. Whore!” This time Noah screamed, kicking her way out of the grasps of the three boys but Garrett caught her right before she punched the girl.

“Not worth it.” He told Noah, taking her hands and pinning them at her side.

“What is going on out here?” Finally a teacher came to the scene. The six boys who clearly shouldn’t be here quickly jumped the fence and ran off, the teacher didn’t notice. His attention was clearly on Noah’s shaking figure and the bloody mess of a girl in front of him.

“She attacked me!” Whined the girl and Noah’s rage only grew.

“I did, right after you fucking threw a slushie in my fucking face!” The teacher raised his eyebrows at Noah’s anger and mouth. But he shook his head, clucking his teeth.

“Very fine, you both can take it up with the principal. Come on.” The one girl began walking with the teacher, trying to butter up her case to him. She was bleeding, her nose possibly broken and her head hurt from hitting the ground. Noah took Garrett’s hand and began walking with him. “No, young man, she must go alone,” the teacher told and Noah shook her head.

“If he can’t come, then I’m not moving.” She stopped walking. She knew that she sounded childish and the teacher wasn’t going to put up with it.

“Fine, he’s coming but I’m telling Mr. Wexler that you were also being insubordinate so you can probably expect more punishment.” Noah didn’t even care. She needed Garrett with her. With Garrett holding Noah’s hand, she felt calm. Calmer than she did only a few moments ago. Still full of red, sticky slushie, they walked into the principal’s office and waited.

“You’re crazy, Noah,” Garrett mumbled to her, resting his head against hers. She closed her eyes and nodded a little.

“I know,” she mumbled but smiled softly. The other girl in the room scoffed.

“Really? You broke up with Ryder Richards for that. You’re insane.” Noah opened her eyes and glared at the girl.

“For your fucking information, bitch, I broke up with Ryder after I found out he’s been cheating on me. So you can go ahead and shut your fat mouth.” Noah snapped and Garrett told her to stop, she did. Soon after Noah calmed down, Mr. Wexler called the two girls in after the teacher left his office feeling much better. Noah knew she was in deep shit. All she hoped was that the girl would be suspended or get detention also.

“Miss Vanderwik, please recall what happened.” The Vanderwik girl smiled before telling her story the way she saw it. She ran into Noah with her slushie then in a swift “crazy girl” moment, Noah launched herself at the Vanderwik girl. The Vanderwik girl added in words that Noah didn’t say, like that she was going to kill her with a knife and the whole story went off in a lie. Noah rolled her eyes.

“I didn’t mean any of it,” said the Vanderwik girl. Mr. Wexler nodded before turning to Noah.

“Miss Campbell, your turn.” Noah nodded before taking in a deep breath.

“Well, I heard someone call my name. I was having a nice cupcake with my best friends because it’s my half birthday, you see. And when I turned around, something was thrown in my face and I heard laughing. Miss Vanderwik, here, decided to throw a fu-freaking slushie in my face because I broke up with my boyfriend last night, sir. I apparently broke his heart when he’s been cheating on me. But I just didn’t think and launched myself at her and punched her. If it wasn’t for my friends, I probably would have broken more than her nose. And, you know what, I’m glad I fucking punched her. She’s a cunt, everyone in this school’s been giving me shit for breaking up with my cheating boyfriend. Who cares. I’m just glad I’m not being a pussy about it.” She stopped caring about holding her tongue. She gave the principal a cold glare and slowly breathed in and out.

Mr. Wexler stared at the angry girl before sighing. “Well, Miss Campbell, you’re suspended for three days for fighting. When you return you have detention for a month, mostly due to your tongue.” Noah didn’t flinch. “Miss Vanderwik, your story made no sense, so I’m suspending you for the rest of the day and you have detention for the rest of the week. Now, please leave as I call your parents. Miss Campbell, I’m allowing you to leave since I know your parents.” Noah gave a stiff nod, thankful he didn’t say anymore. “Miss Vanderwik you must go gather your things and talk to your teachers then return back here to wait to leave.” Miss Vanderwik scoffed before getting up and leaving the office. Noah walked after her, Garrett stood up and gathered Noah into a hug.

“I’m suspended for three days, then I have a month of detention.” Noah didn’t sound excited nor sad about her punishment, more numb than anything. Getting suspended isn’t new to her, detention also isn’t new. Getting in fights is how Noah dealt with a lot of things before coming to Arizona. She just felt horrible for ruining a day that her friends had designed for her. “I’m sorry,” she mumbled, still in Garrett’s embrace. The secretaries looked on, holding back smiles at the cute couple in the office.

“Hey,” Garrett unwrapped his arms from Noah’s body, placing his hands on either side of her face. Noah felt forced to look up at his face, his blue eyes staring back at her. “Don’t be. Come on, let’s go back to your place and wait for the others.” Garrett leaned in, his heart seemed to speed up as he pressed his lips against Noah’s forehead. He could have easily gone for her lips but feared she wouldn’t kiss back. Noah felt her own heartbeat increase, wishing that the boy had gone for her lips.

Garrett took Noah’s hand, laced his fingers with hers before walking out of the office. A few secretaries exchanged glances, giggling about the cute moment they had just witnessed. Completely regarding that they just let a student out of school with no excuse or note. They’d let anything happen for love.
♠ ♠ ♠
A few things: 1, I'm so sorry that I'm the world's slowest updater. But honestly, I've been busy with college and roleplaying. But I'm back into the writing grove. 2, I started this story a year ago on 4/20. Thank you to all who've read. 3, This was going to be longer but this is almost 4,000 words so I figured I'd let y'all have this now. The rest of it will still be the half birthday but possiby not how it's planned. Maybe ;)

Comments are lovely, you are lovely. <3