‹ Prequel: Secret Valentine

August Is Over

Wise Jack

“Thanks for the ice-cream, Daddy.” Lexi smiled, swinging my hand back and forth lightly. “I love mint chocolate chip,”
“I know, baby.” I replied with a small smile. “What else do you want to do today?” I questioned.
“I really wanna go play.”
“Play where, Lexi?” I laughed.
“Outside the bus, duh!” She shook her head with a giggle. “Can Uncle Jack come too?”
“Of course, Princess,” I laughed, thinking of how much my little girl adores my best friend. “I think that we should try to go shopping or something. Daddy needs some new socks. He didn’t listen to mommy.”
“You should’ve listened to her,” She shook her head. “Momma knows best.”
“She likes to think she does,” I sighed heavily. Alyson isn’t exactly the best at determining what is best, but she knows what is best for Lexi 99% of the time. As long as Lexi is taken care of, it’s okay.
“Big quiet.” She giggled, shaking her finger at me. “Let’s get Jackie now!” She demanded.
“Okay, come on, short stack.” I stated, picking her up and walking closer to the buses. I didn’t want to cross a street without her in my arms, because I was terrified of her getting ran over. I easily found our bus, and punched in the code before I stepped on. Jack was actually up eating some toast while Rian was drinking some more coffee. I scoffed, causing them both to look up at me. “Get up, you lazy….butt.”
Jack smirked at me.
“I’m getting up, you butthole. What do you want?”
“Come with me and daddy, Jackie!” Lexi stated in her girly voice. “We’re going shopping.”
“Men don’t shop,” Jack scoffed.
“Good thing you aren’t a man yet,” I rolled my eyes. “Come on, Jackie.” I batted my eyelashes.
“I’m coming, baby.” Jack winked back at me before he headed off toward his bunk. He changed quickly into some skinny jeans, a t-shirt, and a small hoodie. We walked off of the bus, and headed toward the street. I knew that the venue was close to the mall, but I don’t exactly remember how to get there right off the top of my head. “So why exactly are we going?”
“Daddy need socks,” Lexi stated from my arms before she reached out for Jack.
“Ah…” He trailed off, taking her from me. “Daddy needs…socks?” He looked at me.
“Yes. I need socks.”
“Alex…I think you need more than socks.”
“Later, Jack,” I huffed. “It’s our day out, okay? I want to remember it.”
“I will if you buy my lunch,”
“Fine, Jack.” I laughed. “I’ll buy you lunch.”
“Good, then it’s a done deal.”

*

“Why exactly did you need this day?” Jack asked curiously as we ate. Lexi was in the playground that they randomly had in the middle of the mall.
“I just needed a day with my little girl,”
“I know you better than that, Alex.”Jack huffed. “Tell me what this really is about.”
“I just…I feel like I need to clear my head. What better way than to take your daughter out for a day?”
“What are you needing to clear out your brain for?”
“I just…John and Alyson make me uncomfortable.”
Jack looked at me like I was an idiot.
“What?”
“You heard what I said, Jack…” I sighed.
“I know, but seriously? After everything that you two have been though in the past, you are worried about John? He’s so shy around girls. You have nothing to worry about,”
“He could’ve fooled me.” I mumbled.
Jack shook his head.
“Lex, John is her friend. You’re taking it out of context.”
“What if she tries to cheat on me again?”
“Are you really worried about that? John and Alyson would never do that to you. You’re taking things that happened in the past and bringing them up now. That’s not right, you can’t hold her past against her for forever,”
“I know, but it’s just so…hard to let go.”
“Alex, I’m going to say this as nicely as possible…Alyson never held it against you. She forgave you no matter what because she loves you. You need to do the same for her,”
Slowly I nodded.
“You’re right.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alex is insecure! Whaaaa???

Comment please :)

xoxo Rae Wakefield