‹ Prequel: Infinite Love

Undying Love

Chemo

About an hour later, we were sitting in the hospital waiting for a nurse to come over and insert the chemo and radiation. We had dropped Amara off at Kristine’s parents, and they waved us off with a good luck and a promise that Amara would be just fine.
Kristine sighed and laid her head against my arm. I took her hand with my free one and kissed the top of her head. I never let Ella out of my sight even though she was just on the bed sleeping.
“Hello, how are we doing today?” A nurse said as she walked in. “I’m Laura I’m going to be Ella’s nurse today. I see this is your first chemo and radiation session so I’ll explain what I’m going to be doing. First of all, Ella will be staying all day and you will deal with no other nurses but me unless she is put in a room. When I leave in just a moment I’ll close the curtains so you three will have some privacy. I’ll be check on Ella periodically throughout the day.”
“Okay, thank you.” I said, “I was also wondering if you have any openings for a re-occurrence test.”
“We always have a few. Should I come get you when she is sleeping?”
“Yes, please and thank you.”
“Not a problem.” She answered. “Now if one of you could wake up Ella and then hold her still while I insert this.”
I stood up knowing Kristine wouldn’t be able to handle it. “It might be easier if she is still asleep. If I pick her up she is just going to cuddle right into me and continue sleeping.” I told the Laura and she nodded. I picked Ella up and held her close for a couple seconds before I extended her arm out towards Laura. She didn’t waste any time in putting the needle in Ella’s arm causing her to wake up and cry. “Shhhhh, baby girl, you’re okay.” I continued to calm her long after Laura pulled the needle out.
“I’m sorry, honey.” She told Ella, “I’m so sorry, but I had to do it. You need to get better.” With that she left the area we were in and closed the curtain. I lay back on the bed and bounced Ella up and down hoping to get her back to sleep. She curled into me and gripped my shirt tightly. I pat her back and she whimpered for a little while. I closed my eyes still bouncing her.
“Mikal, don’t move.” I opened my eyes at the sound in Kristine’s voice.
“What happened; is Ella okay?” I asked as Kristine pulled wipes out of the diaper bag.
“She threw up on you.” She said simply and I started breathing calmly through my mouth. She gently picked up Ella and cleaned her off and I pulled my shirt over my head. I pulled the extra one I brought out of the diaper bag and put it on. “Nice going on bringing extra shirts.”
“Thanks.”
“How’s everything going in here?” Laura said walking in.
“Pretty good, she just threw up on Mikal so we are just trying to get everything taken care of.” Kristine explained.
“Throwing up is perfectly normal and I’m glad to see you brought a change of clothes.” She motioned to my new shirt. “We have an opening now for that test, if you would like to do it now.” I looked over at Kristine and she nodded. I walked over to her and kissed her quickly before kissing Ella’s head.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for my new subscriber:)

Thanks for reading, commenting, and subscribing:)

~Rach