Status: It's back!!! Regular updates to commense! Thanks for your patience!

WAG for Hire

Hand In Hand

On Monday, Toby found herself doing something she had not done in a long while.

She was seated across from Lily at the campus café, a coffee and muffin in front of her. Lily was in the midst of telling her about the time she had walked into the wrong class, realized five minutes in, and stayed because she was too embarrassed to admit her mistake. “All I could think when it was over was I am damn glad that I am a science student because one class of Intro to Philosophy was enough to make my head hurt.”

“I think it could be interesting,” Toby admitted.

“I thought so too until the professor asked us to consider the possibility that we were only sitting at a desk because we thought we were sitting at the desk- perhaps the desk was only a creation of our imagination based on expectations we had for being in a university classroom,” Lily countered as she took a sip of her coffee.

“Oh,” Toby wrinkled her nose. “On second thought, I’ll stick to cold hard facts.”

“Exactly,” Lily said with a laugh.

In that moment Toby was glad that she had decided to ask Lily if she was up for cashing in the rain check after they had finished a particularly brutal class. Their professor was pushing the fact that midterms were right around the corner and that it could be a defining moment for some of them. She wasn’t worried – but she didn’t relish the thought of spending the next few weeks listening to her professor remind the class that it was do or die without having an ally in the room with her. Lily seemed perfect – and she was easy to talk to.

“How long did it take you to do that god forsaken assignment? I think I stopped counting after three hours,” Lily confessed.

“A good hour Thursday night, and most of Saturday afternoon,” Toby told her. “I am becoming convinced that he is trying to bury us with work to prove a point to the first year students who dared take a 2000 level course.”

“You and I share a brain.”

Toby couldn’t help but smile at the offhand comment. She had no idea the intent behind it but hearing it made her realize she missed doing things like this. She had really let herself become cut off. She was infinitely glad for second chances. “It could have been worse – it has been worse.”

“Yeah, at least I had time to actually have a life this weekend. I managed to sneak off to the movie theatre for a few hours. What about you? Did you actually get to enjoy yourself?” Lily asked.

“I did,” Toby answered truthfully. She debated on whether or not to continue being truthful – somehow she didn’t think telling Lily that she had spent most of the weekend watching hockey and texting would be the blonde’s idea of fun. She hadn’t even realized it was her idea of fun until she was caught up in watching the Penguins string together an impressive series of wins over the Canadiens, Leafs and Senators. She had never really paid much attention to the game of hockey before but she was fast becoming addicted. She blamed her personal connection of course – watching Jordan and his team rally to win was thrilling.

She had sent him congratulations with each win and like the first night it dissolved into entire conversations through text. However, unlike the first night, it never strayed into the same territory. There was not a hint of flirting – just jokes and one rather impressive story about his teammate Max Talbot and an entire bottle of shaving cream.

To tell the truth, she wasn’t sure if she was relieved or disappointed that he hadn’t tried to flirt with her again.

“It must have been a good weekend for you to get a wistful look like that on your face,” Lily interjected derailing her train of thought.

Toby felt a little guilty for ignoring her. She blushed, not sure if it was from the embarrassment of being caught daydreaming or from the realization that she indeed did have a good weekend. Either way, she recovered by taking a bite of her muffin. “It was a great weekend.”

Lily had a look on her face, as if she wanted to ask more but knew better than to during their first official conversation. Toby relaxed when Lily changed the subject to discussing how much she wanted spring to come so she wouldn’t have to worry about falling on her ass every time she left her apartment.

Toby finished her muffin and was downing the rest of her coffee when she heard someone call Lily’s name. She glanced over her shoulder to see another blonde from their class waving from the long line.

Lily waved back with a smile and Toby set down her empty cup. She must have looked puzzled because Lily smiled, leaned forward, and lowered her voice. “That’s Olivia.”

She committed it to memory and made a mental note to greet Olivia the next time she saw her. “I really appreciate being able to sit down like this,” she began as the two stood and gathered their things together. “It was nice talking with you.”

“You too,” Lily said immediately. She picked up her empty cup and moved toward the trash. “We’ll do it again sometime?”

Toby smiled.

****


Jordan was heading across the parking lot to where his Escalade had sat for the past few days. He could hear a few others behind him, loud in their conversations as the team dispersed after a successful road trip. Everyone was definitely in a good mood and he knew something was brewing for that night. Given the roller coaster they seemed to be trapped on, celebrating things when they were good was a necessity.

“STAALSY!”

He was digging in his pockets for his keys as Max and Marc crowded him, each wearing a goofy grin. “Boys, don’t tell me you’re going home together. You’d regret it in the morning,” he said as he easily dodged Max’s half-hearted attempt at a punch.

“We’re going out. You’re coming,” Max instructed.

Jordan pulled out his keys, toying with them between his fingers. He was bombarded with memories of their previous excursion and it wasn’t pretty – last time he ended up splashed all over the news for the wrong reasons. “Uh…”

“He’s hesitating,” Max pointed out. “That’s not good.”

Thankfully Marc understood. “Jordan, it’s not going to be like that. A few drinks at a bar. Vero’s coming. Bring Toby.”

Jordan raised an eyebrow. “You want me to bring Toby?”

“No, I just suggested it because I always say things I don’t mean,” Marc said making a face. “Of course I want you to bring her.”

Max stuck his face in between Jordan and Marc. “I want you to bring her too.”

Marc immediately gave Max a shove to get him out of the way. “Ignore him. I want to meet this girl who put that dumbass grin on your face yesterday. Bring you girl, Jordan.”

“All right,” Jordan said wondering if he was going to regret this. He didn’t want to push Toby into a situation where she would end up being uncomfortable. Logically he knew she would meet some of his friends sooner or later – it had been in his game plan from day one. But now he just wanted to be sure that she didn’t end up becoming overwhelmed.

“See you in a few hours then,” Marc said before giving Jordan his trademark smile and practically dragging Max away.

Once in his car, Jordan pulled his phone out of his pocket and dialed the now familiar number. She picked up on the third ring. “Hey Toby.”

“Hey Jordan. I take it you are back in Pittsburgh?”

“Just got in,” he confirmed. He started up his vehicle but left it in park. “Uh, the boys and I are going out to celebrate our recent success. Nothing major – a few drinks, a few laughs…”

“That sounds like fun. You deserve it. I am sure you’ll have a good time.”

He suspected that it would go over her head so he decided to spell it out for her. “You’re invited, Toby.” There was silence that stretched into the awkward phase. “Toby?”

“Uh…”

“You don’t have to go if you don’t want to,” he found himself immediately saying. “There is no pressure. This isn’t one of those dates to convince the media of anything. I just- well, some of my friends want to meet you.”

Another pause. Jordan realized he should have headed to her place so he could have asked her in person. At least that way, he could see her facial expression and have a better insight into what she was thinking.

“Am I going to be the only girl there?”

“No,” Jordan answered. “I know that Flower will bring his girlfriend. And depending on who comes, I am sure there will be other girlfriends as well.”

“Is it going to be the whole team?”

“No. Some of the guys are married with kids they want to get home to. Others are exhausted from the weekend. Just a few of us,” Jordan leaned back in his seat, realizing he had yet to leave the parking lot. He reached forward and turned the Escalade off, deciding he wasn’t going anywhere until this was all figured out. “Toby, trust me. I won’t let anything happen…”

“Nothing’s going to happen. They’re your friends, right?”

A tiny smile played across his lips. He knew she was going to agree to go. “Good friends,” he confirmed.

“What time are you picking me up?”

****


The closer it got to 7:00 the more her nerves seemed to flare.

Toby couldn’t pinpoint the exact moment they had started to act up. She had made through the afternoon without worrying. She had even managed to get ready before the butterflies in her stomach appeared.

Not wanting to resort to pacing, she headed back to the bathroom for a final inspection. Jordan had told her to be herself, to not worry about dressing to impress. They were going to a bar where the dress code was jeans and t-shirt. With that in mind, she had chosen her favourite jeans and a striped tank top. But now she was questioning that decision. Was there such thing as too casual?

She knew if she started second guessing herself now she would be knee deep in clothing by the time Jordan got there. She reached up and ran a hand through her loose hair. No, it was better to leave things as they were.

However, now that she couldn’t focus on her physical appearance the other questions that had been plaguing her took over.

What if she said something stupid?

What if she spilled beer all over one of them?

Silly little things that she knew were masking her real fear. She wondered what she would do if she accidentally let out the secret, if she didn’t fit in, if they didn’t like her. She knew how important these guys were to Jordan – they were both his teammates and friends. She imagined they would not hesitate to give Jordan their opinion on his ‘girlfriend’.

It was funny how she could go from being so confident after having coffee with another living breathing human being to wanting to throw up.

She nearly jumped out of her skin when Jordan knocked. She chided herself as she crossed the small space, took a deep breath and opened the door. He was smiling but it quickly disappeared. “You’re nervous.”

“Is it that obvious?” Toby asked, leaning against the door and watching as he walked by. At least she knew she had gotten the wardrobe right – he was in jeans and she could see a black t-shirt under his jacket.

“Your eyes are the size of saucers,” Jordan said lightly as he turned to face her.

“I just don’t want to screw anything up,” she admitted with a heavy sigh. Jordan reached out and ran a hand up arm. It felt warm, and she was surprised at the calming effect it seemed to have on her. She took another deep breath. “I just don’t want to screw this up.”

“You’re not going to screw this up,” Jordan assured her. “I think I’ve gotten to know you pretty well these last few days – just be yourself, Toby. How could anyone not like you if you do that?”

Toby’s breath caught in her throat. She wondered if he realized what a compliment he had just paid her – she couldn’t remember the last time someone had praised her on just being her. She couldn’t contain her smile. “Thank you.”

Jordan’s smile returned. “Hey, I call them like I see them.”

With a new sense of confidence, Toby grabbed her jacket and slipped into her black flats. During the drive, she insisted on Jordan telling her a little about those who he knew was going to be there. Given what she heard she expected Marc to be nice but cheeky, Max to be a handful and TK to share Jordan’s quality of ‘calling them like he sees them’. She wasn’t quite sure what to expect when it came to Marc’s girlfriend Vero. From what Jordan said, Toby suspected that she looked out for those she cared about- Jordan included. She wondered if Vero would be looking out for Jordan tonight.

Maybe she would see right through her.

Her nerves fluttered again and she glanced Jordan’s way. He was concentrating on the road but he had an easy smile on his face. Be yourself, she instructed, reminding herself of his words.

The bar was one she had heard of – not a dive but not too classy as to expect its patrons to behave like nobility. Toby got out of the Escalade and waited for Jordan to come around the vehicle. He stopped beside her. “You ready?”

“I guess so,” Toby answered. She felt his arm brush hers and looked down to find his hand outstretched. His friends would be expecting him to come in hand and hand with his new girlfriend.

With that in mind, she placed her hand in his.
♠ ♠ ♠
And it's back! I had a great vacation but I was happy to get back to writing! Thank you all for your patience! And for those of you who are wondering - things are going to heat up soon and things are going to get a little out of control for two people who are trying to play it careful!

Big thanks to all my readers. And the following people rock: Urmel2010, LuckyNumber87, pineapple55, pensgurl25, Lacresha, KayPx3, Ultraviolet Light, jerseyloveee, NMT82, C-u-on-the-Flipside, simplymexx, soupy, Hola1123, JordysShorty, AliNicTem, DoubleRepeat29, kendra-rae, weasleychick09, Cupcake1, alexismae;, and summersmiles. You know why!