Status: It's back!!! Regular updates to commense! Thanks for your patience!

WAG for Hire

Game On

Toby settled into her seat, throwing her notebook and pen onto the desk. She stifled a yawn. She had stayed out too late yet again – although she couldn’t quite bring herself to blame it on Jordan. TK and Kelsey had shown up just as they were getting ready to leave and she felt it would have been rude. Therefore she had been delivered to her apartment just after midnight. Thankfully she had the foresight to set her alarm extra loud, jarring her awake completely and preventing her from hitting snooze. She was tired – but she would survive.

She glanced over when someone plunked down into the seat next to her. She immediately smiled when she saw it was Lily. “Hi.”

“Figured I would mix it up for a change. Besides, smack in the middle might get me noticed less than right up front,” Lily said as she pulled her things from her bag.

“That’s what I was aiming for,” Toby admitted. She liked to think that she had always aimed for somewhere between standing out and fading into the background but she was beginning to realize that she had long since disappeared completely. Meeting Jordan seemed like the catalyst to begin taking the first steps to correct that – although she knew she would never ever want to be one of those people who stood out above the crowd.

Lily leaned forward, her mouth slightly open. She seemed ready to continue the conversation but stopped short when their professor strode in with a purpose. For the next hour and half they listened, took notes and exchanged brief looks of amusement. It felt nice to have someone who understood what she was thinking at the moment. When the class finally came to an end, Toby tossed her notebook into her bag and stood. “I believe this is a first,” she declared. When Lily gave her a questioning look she smiled. “No homework!”

Lily’s eyes widened as if she were realizing it for the first time. “Surely, he must have forgotten. Oh well, our gain. Let’s get out of here before he realizes his mistake.”

Toby nodded in agreement, and they joined the throngs exiting the room as fast as they could. She managed to fulfill her goal of greeting Olivia by name as she and Lily made their way to the entrance of the Science building. Once outside, Toby stuffed her head into a hat. She was digging through her bag for her mittens when Lily spoke up. “What do you plan to do with your free afternoon?”

“I don’t know,” Toby said honestly. She felt like she had established a routine since leaving Meryl’s – lunch, homework, and then…well, usually something to do with Jordan. He hadn’t suggested any plans for later on that day so she was beginning to think that the next time she saw him was when he hit the ice the next evening. “Maybe I’ll clean.”

Lily made a face and Toby knew that was not what the blonde had wanted to hear. Instead she sucked her lip into her mouth. “Okay, I am just going to go for it. You can tell me to mind my own business…” She stuck her hand into her pocket and pulled out a rather impressive looking phone. She fiddled with it for a moment and then turned it towards Toby. “Is that you?”

Toby furrowed her brows at the small image. She reached out and pulled the phone closer. It wasn’t the one the paper had run – it was a new one, one from the night before. Marc and Vero were up front, snuggled into one another as they made their exit from the bar. But standing in the doorway, hand in hand was she and Jordan. She frowned; she had not even remembered anyone with a camera. She glanced up to where Lily stood, looking back at her expectantly. “Yeah,” she said quietly, handing back the phone. “That’s me.”

Lily’s mouth formed a silent ‘O’. She twisted the phone so she could look at the photo again. “I saw it this morning and at first I wasn’t sure…but then I thought maybe it could be.”

“Where did you see it?” Toby asked, wondering if they had made the paper yet again. It couldn’t happen that fast could it? They had left the bar near midnight. She doubted the press worked like that.

“On a gossip site,” Lily said, looking a bit guilty. “I know I know, no one should read those sites but I can’t help it. It’s my bad habit.” She took one more look at the photo before pocketing the phone. “So…you were the red head in the paper the other day, huh?”

Toby nodded. She had been prepared to be recognized as Jordan’s girlfriend. She just didn’t expect it to happen like this. She watched as Lily’s eyes widened again. “Are you a Penguins fan?”

“Kind of. I mean I don’t watch a lot of hockey but I know our team, if you get what I am saying,” Lily admitted. She began to walk again and Toby followed suit. She could feel the blonde’s eyes shift to her every now and then. Finally Lily broke the silence. “Holy shit, you’re dating Jordan Staal.”

“Yeah,” Toby said, wondering if the strange feeling in the pit of her stomach was guilt for lying to her newfound friend. “Holy shit.”

****


Jordan tightened the string of his drawstring pants before tossing the damp towel into the hamper. He was searching through a pile of clean clothing for a shirt when his phone rang. He picked up the cordless phone that rested by his bed, glancing at the caller ID as he did so. His mother. He was surprised that she had waited this long given that he had sort of confirmed his relationship to Eric. Wasn’t he her go to guy? He took a deep breath. He could do this. He could lie to his mother.

“Jordan.”

“Hi Mom,” he said genuinely glad to hear her voice despite the circumstances. It had been nearly a week since he had last spoke to either of his parents. “How’s Dad?”

“Absolutely fine,” Linda answered immediately. “Nice stall tactic. Would have worked if I wasn’t so curious.”

“I know, Mom,” Jordan admitted. He knew she couldn’t be diverted, not when she had a goal in mind. To others it might have seemed like she was prying but he knew she was just doing what she could to look out for her boys now that they were no longer at home. “Her name is Toby.”

“Toby,” Linda repeated slowly as if she were getting a feel for the name. “Unusual name for a girl.”

Jordan decided against telling his mother what it stood for. He had made a promise to Toby never to repeat it. “Yeah, it suits her though.”

“Where did you meet her?”

“At a diner where she worked. I used to go there a lot…probably just to see her,” Jordan added, telling his first lie. He was expecting to be struck down. When it didn’t happen, he sank onto his bed. “She’s nice, Mom. Different…”

Linda cut him off. “You mean she possess a brain.”

It stung him more to hear his mother say what his friends had joked about the night before. He supposed there was truth to it all, but he had naively thought his mother would have given him more credit. “I deserved that I guess,” he said quietly. When she chuckled he felt some of the tension let go. “She’s got brains – she needs them to be a student.”

“What is she studying?” Linda asked. Jordan knew what angle she was fishing. There was being a student (and taking a degree in communications so he or she could party away their student loan) and then there was being a student.

“She is going to be a dental hygienist so she is taking a lot of science courses,” Jordan told her. That would earn Toby points in Linda Staal’s eyes. “Look, I know that my track record this year has been spotty. And I know this thing sort of came out of nowhere but I want you to know that I really like this girl. I am not going to do anything to get myself in anymore trouble with the press.” There was truth to his words – and he was beginning to realize how easily he could be tangled in what was a lie and what was a fact.

“Look at you, already fully understanding my worries. I only worry because I love you so much, Jordan.”

“I know, Mom. I’d think there was something wrong if you didn’t give me the third degree,” Jordan assured her. He was however thankful when she stopped grilling him and instead told him of his father’s latest greatest idea. When he hung up a half an hour later, the residual guilt for the lies had disappeared.

Grabbing a shirt, Jordan headed into the kitchen looking for a post-practice snack. His cellphone was lying on the granite countertop blinking away to let him know he had a message from Toby. He flicked open the phone. Got the afternoon free. Decided to brush up for your game tomorrow night. Have you always hated the Capitals?

Jordan smiled, grabbed an apple and hit reply.

****


Toby was amazed at the sheer crowds of people swarming toward the Consol Energy Center. She also felt a tad bit guilty that she would get to bypass them all. Jordan had given her clear instructions that afternoon: go to the players’ entrance, tell them her name and she would be escorted to her seat. She broke off from the group of people that had gotten off the bus with her.

As she headed in search of the players’ entrance, she took a deep breath and told herself that everything was going to be okay. Jordan had also warned that there was a good chance she might show up on television as the cameras would no doubt put in their obligatory shot of wives and girlfriends. She could handle that – well, at least she told herself she could handle that. She had been sure to dress as nicely as she thought she could get away give that she was going to a hockey game. She had also taken the time to do her makeup and make sure that her hair was at least tamed.

She found herself face to face with a man who could probably easily toss her through the parking lot and onto the street. She supposed given the number of people that were currently filling up the building that security was a must. He was looking at her expectantly. “Uh, Toby Cross.” For a moment she thought she was in the wrong place or that Jordan had forgotten to mention her to Mr. Big as House. But then she was given access to the arena.

The security guard gave her directions to her seat. She almost wished she could find the players’ locker room instead and at least see Jordan before the game. She had a feeling it might help with her nerves. But she knew that Jordan was well into warm ups. She would have to find another way to deal with it.

Toby found her seat easily enough, noting that it was almost as if they were cut off from the rest of the crowd. She felt as if she were part of some sort of weird hockey nobility – and it did nothing to ease her nerves. Already she could see people turning in their seats to get a look at the family of the players. She felt eyes on her and shifted in her seat.

“Ah, Toby, ‘ello.”

She swivelled her head to see Vero making her way across the aisle. The brunette was wearing jeans, a set of heels that made Toby dizzy just looking at them, and a jersey that proudly showed her boyfriend’s number. “Hello, Vero,” she said politely as the other woman sat down.

“This is exciting, yes?” Vero said as she rubbed her hands together. “After the Winter Classic, I am sure Marc and the boys are itching for a little revenge.”

Right. Toby had gotten an overview of the history between the two teams the day prior thanks to Google, Youtube and Jordan’s texts. Given that Sidney Crosby had been hurt during the teams’ previous encounter she was willing to bet the Penguins would be fighting extra hard. “I have never been to a game before. It’s hard not to be excited,” Toby said as she slipped out of her coat. She turned back to find Vero staring at her black blouse. “Um, too much?”

“Non, non, it’s very lovely. It’s just...well, it’s not his jersey,” Vero pointed out.

A quick glance around confirmed that she was indeed the only ‘girlfriend’ not sporting her boyfriend’s number. She wondered how big of a faux pas she had unknowingly committed. She had visions of the other girlfriends turning on her and forcing her to sit with the masses. “I guess he forgot to give me one,” Toby said quietly.

“Of course he did,” Vero muttered. “Sometimes Jordan can be such an ass.”

“I don’t think he meant anything by it,” Toby countered, taken aback by her assessment of the situation. Jordan had never been anything closely resembling an ass to her. She doubted he would start now.

“I’ll fix this!” Vero stated and before Toby could even react she was out of her seat.

Toby blinked.

“Best to let her handle this,” a voice from behind her said.

Toby looked over her shoulder to find herself face to face with a very pregnant blonde. “I don’t think I have any other choice really.”

“Vero definitely likes to take control. But you know what? I think that is what I like most about her.” The blonde extended her hand. “My name is Erica Johnson.”

“Toby Cross.” Toby shook her hand as she mentally scrolled through her database for a player with the same last name. Finally, she made a match. “Brent’s wife.”

“Yes, Brent’s wife,” Erica confirmed. She leaned back in her seat, her hands coming up to cover her stomach in what seemed like an automatic move.

“Is Brent playing tonight?” Toby found herself asking. She knew that the backup goaltender didn’t always see a lot of time. With Vero there as well, she wondered which one was going to get to cheer on their loved one.

“Unless Flower is having an off moment, no,” Erica answered. “I am just trying to get in as many games as I can before the baby comes along.” She gave her stomach an affectionate pat. “That and I am convinced Baby Johnson is addicted to the nachos here.”

Toby smiled and was about to say more when she noticed Vero climbing up the stairs. The other woman was carrying a Number Eleven jersey which she wiggled proudly before tossing it to Toby. “I let that boy know he is slipping,” Vero promised as she resettled into her seat.

Toby slipped the jersey over her head, thanking God that it wasn’t one recently worn by Jordan. Glancing over at Vero, she realized that she certainly looked like she belonged. She meant to thank Vero but a burst of cheers from the crowd had her turning instead. The team was taking the ice. It took her a moment to pick Jordan out of the skaters but when she did, she couldn’t help but smile as he skidded around the corner with Kris on his tail.

“Jordan is fast,” Vero commented. “He works very hard – especially given what happened last year.”

Toby knew all about Jordan’s injury – not from Jordan himself but from what she had read about him. “He really loves to play.” It was an easy statement to make – she didn’t feel as if she needed to be in a serious relationship with him to point out the obvious.

“He does.” There was a pause and Toby braced herself. “I think of him as a brother sometimes. He and Marc are so close that it’s hard not to.”

There it was – what Toby had expected from the moment Vero had extended the invitation at the bar. She knew that Vero wanted to get her alone, to see what she was really like and to see if she was good enough for Jordan. She didn’t blame the other woman. She supposed if she had a brother she would do the same. She decided the best way to handle it was to meet it face on. Mustering up some courage, she took a deep breath and then spoke, “I am glad that Jordan has someone watching out for him. I would imagine that given who he is he has had a great number of girls throwing themselves at him looking for a good time, fame, money…I am not one of them, Vero. I am not here to hurt him.” She stopped speaking, wondering if she should have said anything in the first place. She also wondered briefly where that had come from as she waited for Vero to react.

Vero smiled. “See! I knew you had brains!”

Toby breathed a sigh of relief and then turned her attention to the game. As she predicted, it was tense. She found herself leaning forward to grab the railing in front of her every now and then. Vero was yelling loudly in French every time a call was made that she didn’t agree with. At first, Toby gave her a wary eye but after one of the Capitals levelled Jordan without getting caught she found herself yelling in agreement (even though she had no clue what Vero had said).

She was glad to see Jordan come to his feet by himself. She followed his progress as he skated toward the bench and sat down. A trainer was talking to him but she could see him waving him off. She let go out of the breath she didn’t even know she was holding just as the arena exploded.

Apparently in her moment of worry, she had missed a goal by Tyler Kennedy. She felt sheepish that she was forced to watch it on replay. She clapped along with Vero and vowed that she wouldn’t miss the next one.

She didn’t. Nor did she miss the two that the Capitals had scored in return. It was nearing the end of the third period and things were getting messy. Players were bumping for control of the puck and more than a few members of each team found themselves on their back looking up at the ceiling of the arena. She found herself on the edge of her seat now, hoping that the team could pull off a last minute goal to end this before sudden death became a reality.

No last minute miracle.

And then sudden death came and went. Which meant only one thing…

“A shoot out,” Vero moaned between her fingers. “I hate shoot outs.” She muttered something in French but Toby caught Marc’s name so she concluded that Vero was sending good vibes to her boyfriend.

Toby found herself holding her breath again as TK stepped up first against Varlamov. She hoped that he was able to repeat his success of first period. She leaned forward as he approached and was quickly denied by the Capital goaltender. She could practically hear Vero reciting a prayer as Marc faced down his first shooter. Thankfully, he was able to make a beautiful save causing the crowd to roar in approval.

And so it went – back and forth until Toby was sure she was going to hit the roof from the butterflies dancing around in her stomach. She felt a hand on her shoulder and looked over at Vero. “They are sending Jordan out,” Vero announced.

Toby’s head spun back toward the ice. The butterflies multiplied. Come on, Jordan, she willed silently. Her hands had come up to grip the railing so tightly that her knuckles had gone white. She watched as he came in fast on Varlamov, moving to the right ever so slightly. The goaltender was tracking his movement well, coming out of the net to meet him head on. At the very last second, Jordan sprinted to the left and gave himself enough open net to bury the puck in the back.

Before she could stop herself Toby was on her feet, screaming alongside the rest of the capacity crowd. The team was already pouring onto the ice, surrounding the man who had brought them the win in such a spectacular fashion.

Toby could feel Vero tugging on the sleeve of the jersey. “Come on! I want to see my boy!” She declared. “And I do believe that Jordan deserves a big kiss for that goal!”

Her eyes widened – and the butterflies resumed their dance.

****


Jordan was grinning from ear to ear as he pulled a t-shirt down over his head. He fished around for his hat and slung it on backwards to cover the current mess that was his hair. All around him he could hear laughter and playful banter. Their three game winning streak had just been expanded in the best way possible. He hoped that in the visiting locker room the Capitals were moping.

Marc slumped down beside him, still wearing his pads. “Of course you would have to show off for your girl. You couldn’t have made that shot on any other night.”

“Jealous that I was named First Star, Flower?”

“You got me,” Marc shot back.

Jordan gave Marc a playful punch in the shoulder before standing. The press would soon descend and he wanted to enjoy the carefree atmosphere before they bombarded the team with the same old question:What does it mean to win against the Capitals?

“Females approaching! You better all have clothes on or so help you,” a voice that was uniquely Vero’s announced.

Marc immediately stood as Vero entered. Jordan could see Toby right behind her, taking more tentative steps. Vero wasted no time in crossing the locker room so she could plant a kiss on her boyfriend’s lips. Jordan took a step towards Toby. His jersey seemed to engulf her, and she was currently fiddling with one of the sleeves. She was nervous.

Their eyes met and he gave an encouraging smile. The one he received in return was dazzling. He could see some of the tension leave her body. He took another step forward and was surprised when she moved swiftly to close the space between them. She stopped short in front of him, and he wondered what she was thinking behind her widened eyes. His surprise quickly changed to something else when she threw her arms around him, pulling him close. For a moment he thought she was going to kiss him, her eyes were firmly planted on his lips. Instead, she rested her head on his shoulder.

“It was a great game,” she told him quietly.

His arms immediately tightened around her and he tilted his head so it rested against hers.

It was funny how simple words could make him realize just how much trouble he was in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another slightly longer chapter than usual. This time around I am using it as a bribe - I start work again on Thursday so my updates won't be as frequent as they have been. I am aiming for once a week but I know that it can become hectic so I ask for patience!

Thank you so much to my readers and subscribers. Big big thanks to Lacresha, Ultraviolet Light, weasleychick09, NMT82, DoubleRepeat29, pensgurl25, LuckyNumber87, Cupcake1, alexismae;, CeciliaE, JordysShorty, becccablastoff, pineapple55, julietfalls, kendra-rae and AliNicTem for their lovely comments!