Status: It's back!!! Regular updates to commense! Thanks for your patience!

WAG for Hire

The Dreaded Last Shift

No matter how nice the customers, no matter how big the tips, Toby knew this shift would be her worst.

Very simply because it was her last.

As she tied her apron tightly around her waist, she tried not to let the realization take control of her emotions. She couldn’t afford to be a blubbering mess and risk being sent home. And besides, no one left a few dollars for the waitress with the mascara running down her face.

She checked her reflection in the employee bathroom one more time. Hair in a tight ponytail – check. Makeup reasonably well applied – check. White shirt tucked in, black skirt hiked up (but not too much) – check. All she needed was her pad and pen and she was good to go.

Toby exited the bathroom and picked up her missing items from the cart. As she passed through the door that separated her from the dining area she locked eyes with, Louise, the cook on that night. Although she always wore enough makeup to make her resemble a clown, Toby could see the sober look in co-worker’s eyes. Great – she was not even a minute in and she was already the guest of honor at a pity party.

She did a scan of the booths, realizing quickly that it was going to be a dead night. Which meant it was going to be the longest five hours of her life – and she would spend the time stressing over what she was going to do next. She only hoped that she wouldn’t have a panic attack while doing so.

When the bell rang and a couple strolled in, obviously on a date, Toby put on a smile and did her best to act like nothing was wrong.

****


Jordan had the phone pressed to his ear doing his best to listen while weaving through the pedestrians out for a stroll on the chilly evening. Eric. Of course he would be the initial one to call – in before his mother to test the waters and report back like the dutiful first born he was. Jordan couldn’t hold it against him. Eric was only doing what any good son would.

“Mom called me. I think she wanted me to fly to Pittsburgh and kick you ass.” There was a pause. “I have to admit that I thought about it.”

“How mad is she?” Jordan asked as he side stepped a woman pushing a stroller. Ahead of him he saw a group of teens, male and female, and knew by the look on their faces that they had recognized him. He was not in the mood to greet fans that night so he crossed the street at the first opportunity.

“You know Mom, she never gets mad. She just gets disappointed,” Eric explained and Jordan could hear Parker nearby. He imagined his nephew was sitting on his brother’s lap wondering why his daddy looked so stern at the moment. “I think she heard the rumors but she knows how the tabloids work. She wanted to wait for something more concrete – which you gave her in spades. There is no way she is turning a blind eye to the picture.”

Jordan didn’t think she would. That photo was proof that he hadn’t exactly been living up the standards that she and his father had set for him. She was bound to give him an ear full, and knowing her, it would be when he least expected it. “I don’t know what I was thinking.”

“You probably weren’t,” Eric pointed out.

“Probably not,” Jordan agreed, seeing the familiar sign for Meryl’s up ahead. He sped up his pace wanting to cut down on the possibility of getting recognized again. The last thing he needed was to answer questions from some street journalist. “I got suspended a game, Eric.”

There was a pause. “Well…shit.”

“You’re not swearing in front of my nephew, are you?”

“I don’t think you are in a place to judge,” Eric reminded him.

“Fair enough,” Jordan conceded as he entered the tiny restaurant. As usual, it was fairly empty so he was able to slide into his regular booth. Toby, the redhead, was on again and she pushed herself off the counter when he sat down. “I shouldn’t be so angry about it. I brought this on myself really. But after the year I have had – it kills me that I am perfectly healthy but can’t play.” He knew his brother would understand – being away from the game for any reason was the very definition of frustration.

“One game, Jordan, one game,” Eric began as Jordan watched Toby headed his way. She proceeded to set a place for him as his brother continued, “It will be a chance to let things cool off…”

Jordan looked up at Toby. She had her pad pulled out. He nodded when she mouthed ‘the usual’ and then went back to concentrating on what Eric was saying. “And to be honest, Jordan, it will give you a chance to put things into prospective.”

“Prospective…” He was beginning to dislike that word.

“As much as you hate it, you keep saying it – you brought this on yourself. You need to think about what is important to you…”

“I hope you aren’t questioning what is important to me,” Jordan said, and for the first time felt annoyance creeping up on him.

“You know I am not. I am just telling you that you need to dial back and remember just how closely you are being watched from here on out.” Jordan could hear Parker again, no doubt trying to catch his father’s attention. Eric was right. The press was going to be all over him from now on. He couldn’t afford any more screw ups. “You don’t want to admit I am right do you?”

“I shouldn’t have to say the words,” Jordan said with a sigh.

“But I want to hear them, baby brother,” Eric shot back immediately.

“Goddamnit, you’re right.”

****


“Staal’s here,” Toby said to Louise as she tore the slip off the pad and hung it in its spot. Like her, she doubted the cook needed it to know what he wanted. She grabbed a clean class off the tray, filling it to the brim with Diet Coke. As she walked toward his table, she noted the tense look on his face as he set down his phone.

At least she wasn’t alone in her bad day.

He looked up when she set down the glass. The smile on his face was about as real as her own. “Louise is no doubt grilling up your burger now. As you can see, we are swamped – so if you need anything you’ll have to shout.”

“Gotcha.” His forced smiled widened into something a little more real. Finding it infectious, so did hers.

She turned on her heel to take payment from the only other customer in the place. As she placed the tip in the communal jar, she glanced over at Jordan. He really looked like he had been dragged through a gutter. She felt the urge to ask him why but held back. He was a regular – she was used to him dropping in on a weekly basis. They talked, they were cordial – but they were not friends.

With little left to do but wait, Toby’s mind drifted into dangerous territory. Like, what the hell was she going to do tomorrow when she woke up with no job and a looming deadline? A wave of absolute terror threatened to consume her. She ran a hand over her face, and sighed. Not the time, not the place.

Thankfully, Louise called her name. She looked back to see Jordan’s order was up. After setting it down in front of Jordan, she reached over to the next table to pick up a ketchup bottle. She tossed it and wasn’t surprised when he caught it. “Nice reflexes,” she said hoping for a laugh. She got a ghost of a smile. Better than nothing, she supposed. “If you need anything…”

And then she lost herself in busy work. She filled napkin dispensers, ketchup bottles, restocked sugar packets, swept. Anything she could to keep going. She left Jordan be, noting that his morose mood had him pushing his fries around rather than eating them.

Soon, there was nothing else to do. She wished for another customer – it was silent save the low tones of whatever was currently in the Top 40. She found herself sliding into an empty booth. She rested her chin in her hands and finally the 'what ifs' took control.

****


As much as he thought he wanted it, Jordan just wasn’t into his usual comfort food. He finally conceded defeat and pushed the half eaten plate away. Leaning back, he caught sight of Toby a few booths down.

He watched as her friendly façade slowly crumbled. She slumped forward, and her face fell. Hell, was she about to cry? He furrowed his brows together, and before he could think twice, he stood.

She must have been deep in thought because she didn’t notice him until he was standing right next to her, saying her name. When she looked up, he quickly realized that she looked just as he felt.
♠ ♠ ♠
I want to thank everyone who read and subscribed very much. Also, a special thank you to Ultraviolet Light, RosiePosie08 and tennisPRO for letting me know what you thought! I hope you enjoy this chapter!