Status: This fanfic is completed. I highly doubt that there will be a sequel.

Stand A Little Too Tall, Say A Little Too Much

Part 23

The car ride home with Alex was quiet and awkward. I didn’t know what to say. I was still freaked out by the fact that Josh was the manager at that dancing studio. What would I do now? Would I continue to pursue my opportunity in dancing or should I quit whilst I’m ahead? I really had no idea what to do.
“Alex?”
“Yeah?” his voice was quiet.
“I’m sorry.”
“You’ve not done anything wrong.”
“You sound pretty annoyed. You were fine before that audition. I must have done something.”
Alex pressed on the brakes a little too hard and pulled into a lay by on the dual carriageway.
“Justine. You've done nothing wrong, I’m just a bit shocked about Josh showing up.”
A moment of silence passed before I dared to speak again.
“Alex. I’m scared.”
“He’s going to do nothing to you.”
“But you can’t protect me 24/7 though.” I looked down at the floor of the car. Alex tightened his grip on the steering wheel. I could see him starting to get angry.
“Justine. No-one is going to hurt you and if they do, they will pay. Big time.”
“I don’t want you getting hurt again. Not after what happened last time.”
“I think you’re missing the point. I don’t care if I get hurt, I’d rather I get hurt protecting you, than you getting hurt because I wasn’t there.”
“But-”
“No buts. I’ll do what it takes to protect you. I don’t give a shit if I get hurt.”
“What about your family though? Wouldn’t they care?”
Alex opened the car door and slammed it shut. I had a horrible feeling and I definitely did not like where this conversation was going. I didn’t get out, it scared me how angry Alex was. He was pacing up and down the lay by and I didn’t know what to do. I decided to ring Layna. She was good at giving advice. I picked up my phone and dialled in her number. It didn’t even manage to ring before Layna answered.
“Hello?”
“Layna. I need your help.”
“Justine? What’s wrong?”
“I think I’ve just cocked up.”
“What’ve you done?”
“It’s a long story, but I said something to Alex after he pulled into the lay by and he’s now pacing up and down outside the car. I don’t know what to do.”
“Try and calm him down. Tell him you didn’t mean it?”
“I’ll try. I think there’s something wrong with him. I said something about his family and that’s when he got out the car.”
“Oh crikey. Try and get whatever you can out of him, he’s likely to tell you but if he doesn’t don’t push him. If he doesn’t want to tell you, don’t make it worse for him.”
“Cheers Layna.”
“It’s alright. Gimme a bell if you need me.”
“Alright, will do. Bye.” I hung up.
This could be a hard task and a very silent car ride home if the plan goes wrong. I got out the car and shut the door quietly. Alex didn’t look at me as he carried on pacing. I walked up and him and put my arms around his waist. He didn’t do anything, just seemed immune to my actions.
“Alex? Are you okay?”
“I don’t know anymore.”
“Do you wanna talk about it?”
He sighed. After a few minutes, he spoke again.
“I’m just bottling things up, I shouldn’t do it because it ends up with me lashing out like I did just then.”
“What’s wrong?”
“It’s just family stuff.”
“You don’t have to tell me about it, but I’m always here to talk to. I may be your girlfriend but I’ll always listen if you want someone to talk to.” I stepped away to give Alex some space to think.
“Come here,” he pulled me into a hug, “I’m sorry. I’m such an arsehole.”
“Maybe so, but you’re still mine, arsehole or not.”
He pressed his lips to mine and I wrapped my arms back around his waist. After a few moments, Alex pulled back and kissed my forehead.
“I’m genuinely sorry. I just guess today has just thrown me completely off guard.”
“You’re not the only one. Don’t worry about it, Alex. Come on, let’s go home.”
“I’ll make this up to you, promise.”
“You don’t have to.”
“I will.”
“Well, I’ll leave that up to you.”
We walked hand in hand back to Alex’s car and he squeezed my hand before opening the door and climbing in. I walked around the other side, opened the car door and placed myself on the passenger seat.

After around 20 minutes, Alex drove up the driveway that lead to my house. Once we’d got inside, I saw a note on the table in the hallway. I approached the table and delicately picked up the note.
‘Hiya Justine, when you get back could you possibly sort out the washing please? Thankyou, Mum x’
I picked up the note and put it in my pocket.
“What was that?” Alex raised his eyebrows.
“Ah, Mum just asked me to sort out the washing,” I smiled, “are you staying tonight?”
“I packed for a few days so yeah if you want my smelly butt here.”
“You can use the shower you know.” I laughed.
“Oh, you’re so funny.” He smirked.
“Speaking of showers, I need one.”
“Corr, I know. I was going to say but I thought that would be a mood killer.”
“Love you too Gaskarth.”
“I know you do.”
“Well, I’m gonna have a shower now so watch some TV or whatever.”
“Okay dokies.”
I headed up to my bedroom, got all my stuff together and headed towards the bathroom. I was going to try not to take long in the shower.

As soon as I got out the shower, I threw on some pyjamas and quickly dried my hair. I looked scruffy as, but I didn’t care. I was at home with my boy and I wasn’t bothered how bad I looked, I was just happy that I was with Alex.

I practically ran downstairs and went to launch myself on the living room sofa when I found it empty.
“Alex?”
No response.
“Hello?”
After a few seconds there was still no response. I walked into the kitchen and found another note on the desktop.
“Sorry for leaving without any notice, I’ll be back shortly, don’t miss me too much. Call me if you need me. Alex xxx”
“I wonder where he’s gone…” I thought to myself.
I decided to go back upstairs and paint my nails to pass the time. I pulled out my nail varnish case from the drawer and selected a pretty, baby blue colour. As soon as I’d finished painting my left hand, my phone vibrated. I’d received a text. The number was unknown so I just thought nothing of it for a few minutes. I carried on painting the rest of my nails and then decided to open the message. It was likely to be a chain mail message. However, that wasn’t the case and as soon as I read the text an ice-cold feeling went straight through my body.
“Nice getaway, whore. Don’t worry, I’ll get you soon enough.”