Status: This fanfic is completed. I highly doubt that there will be a sequel.

Stand A Little Too Tall, Say A Little Too Much

Part 5.

The lesson went quite slow which was unusual.

“So, Alex?”
“Yeah. Alex Gaskarth.”
“Nice.” I smiled to myself but Alex caught me in the act.
“What you smiling at?” He braved a smile at me.
“Nothing, nothing. Don’t worry.”
“Oh, okay. This work is really easy,” he said, trying to change the topic.
“It’s an easy subject,” I winked at him, “you’ll pass it dead easy.”
“Oh cool.”
“Where did you move from then?”
“I came from America, I needed a change. As much as I love America, it cost my parents too much to send me to a private college.”
“Ah right. Lucky! Howcome you chose the UK? It’s not one of the wiser places to choose considering we have really rubbish summers.”
“I don’t know really. I’ve always wanted to live here since I was about 14.”
“Ah cool. I’ve been trying to move away from this town, well this college. I hate it.”
“Howcome?”
“I’m always bullied here by these girls called Holly and Jess. They make my life here a living hell.”
“What do they do?”
“What don’t they do? They bitch about me, start rumours, snigger at me in the corridor. I really have no idea why.”
“Oh. You get bitchy people at every school or college you go to. It’s the same everywhere. Back in Michigan, people used to take the mic out of me just because I was more clever than them.”
“Hmm. Suppose I’m kinda lucky then. Although I did forget to mention I had worse in secondary school. Boiling hot water all over me, what fun.”
“That’s bad. Did anything get done about it?”
“She was the typical rich, posh girl. Her parents were close to some of the really important people, if you know what I mean. They could get that school shut down so easy it was unreal.”
“Ah right. That kinda sucks.”
“Indeed it does. I’ve just been hoping for some sort of miracle one day, that I’d actually have someone I could class as a friend walk into this college.”
“Well, do you wanna hang out sometime? If you want to, of course.”
“Really?”
“Sure. We should totally hang sometime after college.”
“Aw, cool. What are your plans for lunc-”
The bell rang and cut off the rest of my sentence.
“Alright class. Off you go to your next lesson. Justine, Alex. My desk now.”
Everyone looked our way and I looked at Alex.
“What have we done?” I whispered.
“I don’t know. Maybe it’s because we were talking?”
“Maybe.”
The rest of the class had a quick last glance at Alex and I and then walked out of the class door.
“What’s up, Miss?” I asked.
“Don’t worry you’re not in trouble. I noticed that you two were talking quite a bit, hm?”
“Yes we were, sorry abou-.” Alex chipped in.
“Don’t worry about it, it’s fine. I’m not sure if Justine has told you, but I’m her tutor and Justine is gonna be your guide to the school so if you need anything you can ask her.”
“Oh okay, sure.” I said.
“That’s cool. Thanks, Miss.” Alex said, smiling.
“It’s alright. Off you two go before you’re late for your next lesson.”
“See ya.” I replied.
Alex walked towards the classroom door, opened it and then gestured for me to go out first. He was a real gentleman.

Outside the classroom were Holly and Jess.
“Yo trash hair, how’s it going?” shouted Holly.
“Yeah, how’s the life with the 6 boys going?” Jess said, piping up after Holly.
I looked at Alex and he looked at me, looked at the girls and then looked back. He mouthed to me, “is that them?” and I nodded. He walked closer to me and put his arm round my waist and pushed forward for me to move on. I gave Holly and Jess a death stare and they shut up laughing.

When we were away from them, I turned towards him.
“What was that for?”
“Nothing. You shouldn’t let them get to you. They’ll only do it more.”
“Yeah but now they could make up rumours that we’re ‘on it’ now.” I stared out into the window.
He grabbed my arm and I looked at him. His brown eyes were sucking me in. I should apologise for the tone of voice I just used.
“Look, I didn’t mean to speak to you lik-”
“Shh.” Alex cut me off mid sentence.
I observed what he was doing. He looked at the curls in my hair, the way they were set out. He started to play with them in between his fingers.
“You have really soft hair. It’s so lovely.”
I looked at him and didn’t know whether to smile. It had gone quite awkward. He looked at me, smiled and then cut off the awkwardness between us.
“Sorry. I couldn’t help but notice. Your hair looks really nice, honest.”
“Aw thankyou.” I didn’t know what to say at all.
“Anyway. I best get running off to next lesson. What do you have?”
“Science, how about you?”
“Same here. Come on, let’s go.”

We both got into Science a bit later than intended and Miss Griffins asked why we were late. Alex said in his deep and rather attractive voice, “Sorry Miss. Our tutor asked us to stay behind. It won’t happen again.”
“Fine. Go sit down where the two spare chairs are over by the gas taps and start on your work,” she looked over to me, “Page 293, Justine.”

We both sat down and I opened the book to page 293.
“Sex education. Oh brilliant.” I thought to myself.
“Are we on the right page?” Alex whispered.
“I’m not sure. Check the worksheet?”
Turns out that we were on the wrong page and that we were also using the wrong textbook. I grabbed the other textbook and turned to page 293 and the title was ‘Carbon Atoms’. This was going to be a boring lesson.

The lesson went by quickly and I didn’t really learn anything new about carbon atoms. However, Alex’s lined paper was full of notes by the end of it.
“Whoa. How much?”
“Haha, I like to note things down. Makes it easier for revision.”
“True that. But your handwriting is so neat!”
“No ones ever told me that before, aha. I guess so, although yours is a lot neater.”
We definitely had some sort of chemistry going on although we’d only been friends for just under an hour.

The bell rang and once we’d walked out the class, we went our separate ways. I told him to meet me by the diner after last lesson and he agreed. I needed to text Chloe and tell her about what had happened. I hurried along to next lesson and just before I went in I whipped out my phone and text Chloe.

Hey Chloe, you’ll never guess what happened today. I’ll call you at lunch. J x.

I turned my phone off and went into the next lesson. I couldn’t wait til the end of the day. This had to be the highlight of my entire school education so far.