‹ Prequel: Breaking Their Hold
Status: Complete!

Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous

Old Friends, New Friends, and the Great Debate

I dumped the popcorn into a bowl and tossed the empty bag into the trashcan. Picking up the bowl and a Pepsi, I padded to the small living room.

"Oh, that smells great." Lauren took the bowl of popcorn from my unresisting grip, shielding it with her upper body so that David couldn't get a piece.

David poked her in the ribs. "Give me some popcorn, woman!"

I flopped down next to Cody on the sofa, automatically leaving a sizeable gap between us. Every time I was around him now, I thought about what Jacob had said that night at Zydeco. Jacob had been right: I didn't want to screw up this job or ruin my relationship with the band.

"What are we watching?" I asked, cracking open the can of Pepsi and setting it on the nearest end table.

"We have Fright Night, John Carpenter's Vampires, Underworld, and Lost Boys," Cody replied, holding up each movie as he named it.

"The theme for the evening obviously being vampires," I said as Lauren handed the bowl of popcorn back to me.

"It was either vampires or graphic, nausea-inducing gore," David commented. "I brought Hostel, just in case you liked my theme better."

"No," I said. "Vampires are just fine." I smirked. "Actually, I quite like the idea of a night filled with vampires. Vampires are sexy."

Cody glanced at me, half of his mouth curving up in a slow smile. That smile made girls all over Alabama swoon. I quickly focused on the popcorn.

"What do you want to watch first?" Cody questioned casually.

I lifted a shoulder. "Doesn't matter."

"Underworld," David proposed.

Cody got up to put the movie in. When he returned, he sat closer to me than he'd originally been. Lauren caught my eye and arched an eyebrow.

"Oh, Kate Beckinsale," David said. "You should spend the rest of your life in black leather. Or naked."

Lauren elbowed him in the stomach. Hard.

"Ow!" He glared at her, rubbing the area she'd connected with. "What? I was just speaking the truth. Back me up, Cody."

"I've gotta go with Dave on this one," Cody agreed. "The leather is sexy."

Once Underworld ended, we decided to watch Lost Boys.

"Where the hell is Bunton?" David wondered aloud. The movie had brought Jacob to mind because it was his favorite movie of all time. "Didn't he say he'd be here?"

"Yeah," I confirmed. "But he didn't specify a time."

It wasn't until we were halfway through Lost Boys that Jacob showed up. He strode into the house and approached me with purpose.

"Jordan." He fit himself on the sofa, between Cody and me. "How much do you love us?"

I eyed him suspiciously. "Not enough to do whatever it is you're about to ask me to do."

"Hear me out," Jacob said.

I exhaled loudly. "What?"

"We need someone to work merch for us this weekend." Jacob hesitated, then added "In Texas."

"Texas? Jesus."

"We'll pay for the plane ticket and you can share a hotel room with--" His eyes flicked briefly to Cody. "--me."

"Jacob, I can't. I've got to finish the two shirt designs I'm doing for the Velcro Pygmies. Cam expects them by Monday morning."

Jacob waved a dismissive hand. "Cam will understand. He'll let you off the hook if you're doing something to help us. After all, I'm the one who turned him on to your work. He owes me."

I chewed on my lower lip thoughtfully. A trip to Texas might be fun. It would be a weekend free of worry. Hanging out with the Lynam guys was always fun. Plus, I could call Dawn and convince her to come to the show and bring Matt and Jimmy with her.

"Please?" Jacob looked at me with his big blue eyes and my last ounce of reluctance vanished.

Rolling my eyes, I nodded. "Okay. I'll do it."

Jacob opened his mouth, perhaps to thank me, but he never got the chance. David pounced on me, sending the bowl of popcorn flying and pinning me to the sofa.

"YAY!" he yelled. "THANK YOU, JORDAN!"

Lauren giggled. Jacob shook his head and exchanged an amused glance with Cody. I smiled. David's display had reminded me of Jimmy and with any luck, I'd be reunited with my mad scientist, who I hadn't seen since leaving California, very soon.

*****

Eyes hidden behind a pair of Aviator shades, I trudged out of the airport behind Jacob, Cody, and David. We were receiving quite a few stares. I wasn't surprised: Jacob and Cody, at least, were obviously band boys. It was the hair that gave them away.

We'd flown to Texas a day early. I was ecstatic. Dawn, Matt, and Jimmy had promised to visit me while I was here. In fact, they'd be in town tonight. I was going to introduce them to the Lynam guys, then all of us were going to find some trouble to get in to. I'd even convinced Jacob to tag along, though it remained to be seen if he actually would.

David and Cody clambered into a cab. I followed Jacob into a second cab.

"I wish the girls had come," I said with a sigh.

"You mean we're not good enough company for you?" Jacob asked teasingly.

"I'm drowning in a testosterone ocean," I groaned.

"No. The testosterone ocean is in that cab," Jacob said, gesturing to the car in front of them that housed David and Cody.

"Oh yeah. I forgot. You're way too sweet to be male. You respect women too much, and you're not horny enough."

Jacob raised his eyebrows. "I'm not horny enough?"

"Did I stutter?"

"I'd prove you wrong, but I love my wife."

"You just proved me right."

Jacob shook his head, blue eyes shining with amusement. "Gee, your opinion of guys is low."

"Um, duh."

"We're not all like Brian."

"Damn, Jacob. I was just joking."

"Were you?" He looked at me seriously. "You deal with all of us like we're inches away from throwing you on the floor and going for the gold...and like you'd be willing."

"So you're saying I act like a slut?"

"That's not what I meant. I just think that Brian has screwed up your perception of what guys want."

"No, my perception wasn't screwed up. That is what guys want."

Jacob shrugged. "Among other things."

"Brian just proved which drive is strongest in males."

"He's an ass," Jacob muttered. "Guys like him give us all a bad name."

The cab pulled up to the curb outside of a hotel. We gathered our luggage and David led the way inside. We checked in and went to our rooms, which were side by side on the top floor. True to his word, Jacob was sharing a room with me.

Jacob was out on the balcony, talking to Liz, and I was stretched out on one of the beds, watching a movie, when my cell rang--Bullet for My Valentine's "Tears Don't Fall." Dawn's ring tone. I snatched it off the bedside table. "Hey, woman!"

"Hey," Dawn said, and I could hear the smile in her voice.

"What's up?"

"Nothing much. Oh, except we're about ten minutes away from the hotel."

"I can't wait to see y'all!" I squealed, making Dawn laugh.

"Well, you don't have long to wait. See you in a few."

I set my cell back on the bedside table. The balcony door opened and Jacob walked in. "Are they here? I heard you doing that high-pitched happy scream."

"Almost."

Jacob perched on the edge of the other bed, chuckling. "I really like seeing you this happy."

"See? You're being sweet again."

Jacob stuck his tongue out at me. There was a knock on the door. I was off the bed before the sound had even faded. Jerking the door open, a huge grin spread across my lips. Dawn matched it with a grin of her own. "Hi."

I threw myself on her. In the next instant, someone barreled into us and sent us sprawling to the floor. I could hear Matt laughing and was not at all surprised to find Jimmy smiling down at me when I rolled over.

"HI, JORDAN!" he yelled.

Giggling, I shoved him off of me and stood up. Matt was pulling Dawn to her feet.

"Come in," I urged. "Y'all have to meet one of my new best friends."

The trio trailed after me into the room, where Jacob was still sitting on the bed. "This is Jacob Bunton," I announced. "Jacob, this is my sister, Dawn, and two of my brothers, Matt and Jimmy."

Jacob shook hands with the guys and gave Dawn a brief hug. Jimmy started talking, but I was distracted by Dawn. She shot a very pointed look at Jacob and raised her eyebrows. I shook my head.

A few minutes later, another knock came at the door. Jacob answered it. David and Cody sauntered in. I once again handled introductions. Dawn eyed both men with mild interest.

"Are we ready to go?" Matt asked, jingling his keys.

We made our way downstairs, through the lobby, and out into the dusk. Jimmy dragged me into the back of Matt's SUV with him.

"You just draw in band guys like moths to a flame, don't you?" Jimmy remarked once we were on the road.

"It's a gift."

"Which one are you interested in?"

"What!?" I yelped.

Jimmy's expression was totally unrepentant. "Which member of Lynam are you interested in?"

"None of them. They're friends. Besides, Jacob and David are married."

"And Cody?"

"He's single."

"And young. And he has that look you love." Jimmy's glance was knowing.

"I'm not interested in Cody. End of discussion."

"Whatever you say."

Matt drove to a bar where we'd hung out anytime that Avenged had come through Texas. Matt, Jimmy, and David each got a beer, then decided to shoot some pool. David coerced Jacob into playing with them. Cody joined Dawn and me in a nearby booth, sitting close enough that our shoulders touched.

"I feel better knowing that someone is looking out for Jordan," Dawn said innocently.

I glared at her.

Cody laughed softly. "Oh, I'm looking out for her alright."

I shivered slightly at the intent in his tone. Smirking, Dawn gently kicked me under the table.

"Cody, will you please go get me a Coke?" I questioned sweetly.

"Of course." He got up and crossed to the bar. Dawn and I both watched him go.

"Damn," Dawn said. "He's cute. No wonder you like Alabama."

"Shut up."

"And he's so obviously interested."

"And I'm so obviously not."

Dawn snorted. "Are you blind?"

"Listen, Jacob and I have already had this conversation. He pointed out that Cody would be a rebound and messing with him could ruin our friendship, as well as our professional relationship."

"Oh, so Jacob discouraged you from playing with Cody?"

I rolled my eyes. "It's not because Jacob wants me for himself. Jacob is married."

Dawn sighed. "I just want to see you happy again."

"I am happy."

Dawn shook her head. "It's not the same. Something's missing."

"A giant chunk of my heart."

"You're eventually going to have to let somebody in to fix it."

My eyes strayed involuntarily to Jacob, who was threatening David with his pool stick, then moved to Cody, who was chatting with the female bartender.

"Somebody has to be the rebound," Dawn said, bringing my attention back to her. "If you make it clear to Cody that it won't really mean anything, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to show you a good time."

"It's a bad idea," I insisted. "Plus, I promised Jacob I wouldn't do anything to screw this up."

But I couldn't help the thoughts that entered my mind when Cody was back beside me. Thoughts that weren't exactly pure.
♠ ♠ ♠
First things first, updates may get even more sporadic because I have a 10-12 page paper due soon and most of my writing time is going to be dedicated to researching the topic and putting it all together.

Now, parts of this chapter are dedicated to Miss.CorrCorr because she is supportive of Jordan getting out of her depressed state and flirting with a pretty band boy. Lol.

A special thanks also goes out to:

Vixyn Of Shadows
CertifiedWaffle
MoMo_92