‹ Prequel: Breaking Their Hold
Status: Complete!

Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous

All I Want for Christmas is Some Breathing Room

I swung my car into the driveway. Cutting the engine, I sat for several seconds, listening to the cooling engine tick.

It had been two weeks since the argument with Brian and I hadn't seen any of the guys during that time, except Matt. As far as Brian was concerned, everything was fine now. It was true that Brian and I had been getting along great: we hadn't had a single fight and we'd dedicated some serious time to wedding plans, though somehow we still hadn't discussed a date.

Despite the fact that my relationship with my fiancé was going well, I wasn't happy. Brian was the love of my life, but he wasn't the only person in the world I cared about. I wanted to spend time with all of my friends. I wanted to spend time with Jimmy.

I pushed my sunglasses up on top of my head and climbed from the car. The front door opened before I was even halfway to the porch. Jimmy emerged in nothing but a pair of skintight jeans that rode low on his hips, squinting against the early afternoon sunlight. He was smiling. "Hey, stranger!"

I returned his smile while feeling a twinge of guilt. I had told Brian I had to finish my Christmas shopping and instead, I'd come here. I'd lied to Brian for the first time since we'd officially become a couple. I lied to him so I could visit Jimmy. If Brian finds out...

I recalled Brian's expression as he'd asked me if the rumor about Jimmy and me was only a rumor. This was only going to give Brian another reason to believe that perhaps the rumor was true.

"Sunshine?" Jimmy's smile had faded and his brow had creased with concern. "Are you still with me?"

"Yeah." I ascended the porch steps and Jimmy opened the door for me. I breezed past him, straight to the living room.

Jimmy followed. "What's wrong, Jordan?"

"Nothing."

"I know you better than that." Jimmy perched on the arm of his sofa, watching me pace back and forth in front of him. "Does this have anything to do with the reason I haven't heard from you in two weeks?"

I glanced at him. How was I supposed to inform him that his best friend didn't trust him? That I had to stay away from him because he might be reading something into my actions? That we were going to have to completely change our relationship just to ease Brian's mind? That Brian was taking a stupid rumor started by some fans seriously and was now suspicious of what there was between him and me?

"Jordan." Jimmy was suddenly on his feet, his hands on my shoulders, peering into my face worriedly. "Is everything okay? Did you and Brian have a fight?"

"No." I couldn't meet Jimmy's eyes. I was afraid I'd burst into tears if I did. My throat was already aching. "Brian and I just needed some time alone. In case you hadn't noticed, the tour put some strain on our relationship."

"Is he still pissed off about that fucking rumor?"

"No." That wasn't exactly a lie. "Look, can we not talk about this?"

"Fine." Jimmy let go of my shoulders. "I just think I deserve to know what I've done."

"You haven't done anything."

"Then why have you been avoiding me?"

"I haven't been avoiding you!"

"So, what? Brian has forbidden you to have any contact with me?"

I didn't answer immediately, and Jimmy's eyes narrowed in anger. "And you listened to him?"

"No!" My tone was pleading. "Jimmy, you've got it all wrong."

"You know, when you learned to stand up for yourself, I thought you understood that it meant you stand up to everyone," Jimmy said. "You never let anyone walk all over you, not even your fiancé. Least of all your fiancé. He doesn't own you, Jordan. He's supposed to love you and trust you and--"

"Jimmy, stop!" I interrupted. "He's not walking all over me. We've been getting along so well, I didn't want to do anything to screw it up."

"And talking to me would screw it up?"

"No! I just...I haven't had time. We've been planning for the holidays and shopping for gifts and enjoying being together."

Jimmy glowered for a few seconds then sighed. "We've never gone that long without talking."

"I know," I murmured.

"I didn't like it."

"Me, either."

"Can we not do that again?"

I managed a small smile. "I don't intend to."

Jimmy hugged me. "Love you, Sunshine."

"Love you, too, scientist."

"So." Jimmy went into the kitchen, reappearing an instant later with two beers and handing one to me. "What are you and Bri doing this year for Christmas?"

I twisted the cap off my bottle, frowning. "I'm going to spend Christmas with my parents."

Jimmy dropped onto the sofa. "Alone?"

I nodded.

"And does Brian know this?"

I grimaced. "No." I sat next to Jimmy. "I haven't quite gotten around to bringing it up."

"Jordan, it's a week until Christmas. When exactly were you planning on flying to Alabama?"

"The day after tomorrow."

"You need to go straight home and tell him. If things are even the least bit rocky between you two, keeping secrets from him isn't the way to fix it."

"I know. But it's hard because I'm scared he'll take it wrong."

"How do you mean it?"

I lifted a shoulder. "I think we need a break from each other. We spend a lot of time together and, no matter how much you love someone, they eventually start working your last nerve. He's getting close to mine, and I'm sure I'm close to his, too. A break would do us good, give us time to miss each other and realize how strongly we feel for each other."

"Just explain it to him exactly the way you explained it to me. You'll be fine."

"I hope you're right," I said, and downed about half of my beer.

*****

I turned at the scuff of a footstep. Brian was standing in the doorway. His eyes weren't on me, they were fixed on the half-filled suitcase sitting open on the bed.

"Hi," I murmured.

Brian finally focused on me. "Hey." He frowned. "Is this what it looks like?"

"No."

"Then what is it?"

"I thought I'd go home for Christmas."

"Alone?"

"Yeah..." I wrung my hands nervously. "You were right. Taking me on the road with y'all was a mistake. We've spent entirely too much time together. We need a break."

"A break?"

"Just a week. I'll be home for New Year's."

"Really?"

I met Brian's eyes from across the room. "Yes, really. Why would you even ask that?"

"Everything's been great between us for the last couple of weeks and now, you're telling me you don't want to spend the holidays with me." Brian studied me intently. "You're not second-guessing our relationship, are you? You're not saying you're going to visit your parents while really intending to go back to Alabama and stay there...?"

"Do you really think I'd do that to you?" I demanded, stung. "God, Bri, how could you even suggest such a thing?"

Brian exhaled loudly, raking a hand through his hair. "I don't know. I'm sorry."

"Bri." I went to him and slid my arms around his waist. "It'll do us some good."

"You really think so?"

"Yes," I replied earnestly. "We're not used to being around each other this much. Ever since I've moved out here, other things have kept us busy and away from each other, but not now. Remember how we never used to fight? Now, we're constantly together and...we're getting on each other's nerves."

Brian said nothing.

"We need time to miss each other," I repeated the reasons I'd given Jimmy earlier. "And when we can't be together, ironically, that's when we'll realize how strongly we feel and all of the things we've been fighting about won't matter anymore."

"You're right," Brian said after several seconds, wrapping his arms around me. "As much as I hate to admit it, being away from someone you love does make you appreciate them more."

I smiled up at him. "There's nothing wrong with couples doing separate things. It doesn't mean we care about each other any less."

"I know." Brian rested his forehead against mine. "Go home and catch up with your family. I know how hard it is for you, living almost three-thousand miles away from them."

"Bri," I murmured.

"Hmm?"

"While I'm gone...talk to Jimmy."

I felt Brian tense slightly in my arms. "Jimmy and I have been talking. We're fine."

"Bullshit." I drew back. "Please? For me? He knows you're upset with him."

"I'm not upset with him."

"You don't trust him."

"I don't not trust him."

I rolled my eyes. "Bri, you actually said that he wants the fans to think I'm his."

"Is that so crazy?"

"YES!"

Brian looked at me for a long moment. "Okay. I believe you. I'll talk to Jimmy. By the time you get back, everything will be back to normal."

"Good." I stretched up and kissed him lightly.

"When are you leaving?"

"The day after tomorrow."

"Perfect." Brian pulled me closer. "I have time to give you something that will keep you satiated for the entire week."

I giggled. "Satiated? Wow, Bri, I didn't know you knew that word."

"You're rubbing off on me, college girl."

"I'd like to rub on you..."

Chuckling, Brian backed me towards the bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it took me a long time to get this update done, but a lot has been going on around here. My mom is still having health issues and I'm trying to take care of school stuff so I can be enrolled this fall. It's just been stressful.

Anyway, this chapter is basically filler....a bit of calm before the storm, so to speak. Read, comment, and subscribe!