Back to Square One

Deanna

After our conversation in the car last night, we went straight home. We didn’t talk and didn’t discuss it. We just went to our own rooms and rested our minds. I don’t know how Hazelyn felt about what I did and said, but it seemed like she wasn’t mad. That was a relief.

I just hope this day goes well.

I was getting ready, and was about to head out to get some breakfast when my phone rang. I was still putting on my shirt, so I just answered it without a glance at the screen.

“Hello?”

“Ryan!” a little girl’s scream screeched through the receiver.

“Deanna!” I smiled.

“I miss you!”

“I miss you too baby girl,” I cooed as I grabbed a pen and paper, scribbling down a note for Hazelyn, telling her that I was out to grab breakfast.

“Where are you right now?”

“I’m in Florida,” I told her.

“Where’s that?”

“On the other side of the country.”

“You’re far,” I heard her pout through her voice.

“I know. But when I come home, I’ll come see you okay?”

“Okay.”

“So, what’s up?” I asked her.

“Nothing. I just wanted to talk to you because I miss you,” she said to me.

“Awww, is mommy there?” I asked her.

“Yeah, daddy’s here too,” she said.

“Do you think I can talk to daddy?” I asked.

“Sure,” she said and I heard shuffling in the background.

“Jay,” I heard his voice.

“Hey Leon. How are you?” I asked.

Let me explain. Audrey got kicked out and disowned by her father, and Leon - being one of the good guys in the team, asked for my help to raise Deanna. I couldn’t turn my back on them. As much as Audrey had ruined my life, I couldn’t let the child suffer. I grew on as a second father to Deanna, considering that Leon had signed up for the military and he was always out of town or out of country - always stationed somewhere. I’ve been financially supporting them, just enough to keep Deanna a happy child.

Audrey, has changed over the years. She’s been a great mother to Deanna, and I appreciate that. She wasn’t as spoiled anymore, probably due to the fact that she doesn’t have daddy to run to anymore. Leon and her worked things out and did get married after Deanna turned one. They found love, and even though it wasn’t the most perfect scenario, it’s still love.

“I’m fine, I’m getting re-stationed though,” I heard him sigh. “It’s my final assignment and then I’m permanently going to stay here with my family,” he told me.

“That’s good. Where are you getting stationed?”

“Iraq,” he said.

“Oh…,” I sighed.

“Jay, I’d really like it if I got to talk to you personally but I overheard that you’re in Florida, so I guess I’ll have to tell you over the phone,” he said.

“Is it urgent?”

“Yeah. It involves my family,” he said.

“I’ll be there in a few hours,” I said. I knew Leon enough that if it was about his family, it’s urgent. It was no laughing matter, so I knew that I needed to see him. I rushed over to grab some breakfast for Hazelyn and brought it back to the condo in record time. I crumbled the note, throwing it away and quickly made the call to get the jet on it’s way and get me to South California ASAP. I’m glad that in the past three years, technology has developed and I got to the LAX in exactly 4 hours, when it usually took 8 on a commercial plane.

I hopped on a cab and gave him the familiar address that the three had moved to so they would be closer. It was 12 p.m on my clock, and 3 p.m down in Florida.

I called up Leon, and told him to meet me at a café near their house, so he didn’t have to go far. He arrived a few minutes after I did and we got right to business.

“Thanks for meeting with me. I know it was such a hassle, but it’s important,” he told me.

“No, it’s okay. I wasn’t doing anything anyway. Hazelyn wouldn’t have minded.”

“Wait, did you just say Hazelyn?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I frowned.

“As in your ex-fiancé?”

“Don’t remind me,” I muttered.

“What’s up with the frown bro?” he smiled lightly. “You’ve been looking for her for what? Three years? You found her! You should be happy,” he tried to cheer me up.

“Yeah, if she didn’t completely loathe me and didn’t have a boyfriend.”

‘Wait. If she hated you and had a boyfriend, why is she with you in Florida?” he was confused. I would be too.

“Long story and it’s not important. What’s up?” I turned the subject towards his concern.

He sighed deeply. “I just wanted to thank you for the support you’ve given my family and I. Audrey was a wreck and I know she destroyed your life - especially your relationship with Hazelyn. You’re a good guy Jay and I thank God that you’re my friend,” he said to me. “I’m going to war and I don’t know if I’ll be able to come back,” he said. I was about to interrupt, but he beat me to it. “I know, I know. But I'm only thinking worst case scenario,” he said and handed me a folder.

I opened it and began to flip through he papers, which were all legal documents. “What is this?” I asked stiffly.

“This is all I have in my name. If anything happens to me, I’ve set up a trust fund for my daughter and the rest I pay back to you. The pay that I’d be getting for this assignment and all my other properties,” he said.

“Leon, you don’t have to pay me back,” I shook my head and pushed the folder back towards him.

He shook his head and pushed it back towards me. “I got a lawyer already and got my will written. I’m no rich guy and was in Stanford on a Scholarship. I can’t leave my wife and kid to fend off for themselves. This is all I have to offer and I’m sorry I can’t give you anything else,” he said to me.

“Leon, no. I did it according to my own will. If I didn’t want to do it, I wouldn’t have,” I said strongly. “And nothing’s going to happen to you. You’re going to come back and you’re going to watch your daughter grow up,” I said to him.

He smiled lightly at me. “You’ve always been the positive thinker - but again, worst case scenario. If I do make it out of there, I’ll make sure to make small payments back to you over the years,” he assured.

“Dude, relax,” I smiled. “As long as I get to see Deanna, I'm good,” I chuckled.

“Of course man,” he said shaking his head with a smile. “Oh, and one more thing. Can I ask you a favor? This is the very last, I promise,” he said.

“Shoot,” I nodded at him.

“If I don’t make it back, please take care of my family. At least please be a brother figure to my daughter,” he sighed.

“Of course,” I nodded.

After I had talked to Leon, I assured him that I’ll be there for both Deanna and Audrey - no matter what. But at the same time, I assured him that nothing would happen to him.

I got back on the plane at 9 PM in California and landed in Florida 4 hours later, at 4 a.m. I didn’t make it back to the hotel room until around 4:30, and to say the least? I was beaten up.

I walked into my condo while yawning and was already thinking of my soft bed and sleeping until dinner. But that was all in the past now, because right when I walked in, I saw Hazelyn frantically pacing across the room getting me dizzy. And before I knew it, she noticed me.

“Where the fuck have you been?” Hazelyn screeched.

“Can we please not? I’m tired,” I moaned and dragged my body to the couch and plopped down on it.

“What? Did a bitch tire you out?” she tapped her toes.

“No, I’m tired. Can we just push this to later?” I groaned.

“Could the reason be because of a certain something called Abigail?” she spat.

I rolled my eyes and threw my shirt off which were followed by my pants, and heard Hazelyn screech. “What?!” I asked, turning towards her- my eyes wide.

“Can you not strip in front of me please?” she asked, her eyes covered.

“As if you haven’t seen me in my boxers,” I scoffed.

“That was three years ago,” she defended.

“There’s no difference. Except for the fact that some things develop,” I winked at her.

She took her hand away from her face and I saw it contort in disgust. “Too much information, Dolciani,” she groaned. “Where were you?” she insisted again.

“Out,” I sighed.

“With?”

“A friend.”

“With benefits?” she snapped.

“No, why do you care?” I asked raising my head and looked up at her blushing face

“What’s this?” I asked, reaching under my butt to retrieve a black box. I examined it and Hazelyn was just frozen in place, her eyes wide. I opened it, and my own eyes widened. “What is this?” I stiffly asked Hazelyn, not taking my eyes off the ring. It wasn’t the ring I gave her.

“A ring?” she squeaked nervously.

“Obviously,” I growled at her and threw it on the couch, making my way to my room. I threw on a pair of sweats and left my torso bare.

“Why are you so pissy?” she stomped into the room after me.

“You met up with him,” I snapped at her.

“So? He’s my boyfriend!”

“Fucking hell Hazelyn. I already fucking told you that I don’t want him anywhere near you! Why the fuck are you so damn stubborn?” I yelled.

“He’s my boyfriend!” she repeated.

“God damn it, I know he is but he doesn’t act like it! You deserve better than that! And now this!” I took a deep breath, and pinched the bridge of my nose, trying to calm myself down. “Get out,” I finally told her.

“Wh-what?” she stuttered.

“Get the fuck out of my room. Right now,” I snapped, making her flinch but I instantly regretted it, but I kept my façade. If I didn’t, I would’ve broken down in front of her.

“Fine,” she hissed and walked out of my room, the door closing with a bang, followed by the front door in the same manner. I sighed and stared at my ceiling, my sleepiness quickly wearing out because of the thought that it was probably 5 in the morning and Hazelyn was out in the dark alone.

I quickly put on a shirt, and grabbed my essentials – keys, phone and wallet – and started on my search for her. I knew she was on foot, so I decided that I didn’t have to take the car. I walked aimlessly around International Drive. I thought about what just happened and it finally sunk in.

Why was Hazelyn frantically asking where I was? Why did she even care? And why is so pissy all of the sudden? What about that ring? Did she accept it? Thoughts were running through my head like a marathon.

I shook my head at the strangeness of her behavior. And they called guys complicated? Hardly. A few more minutes and I realized that I didn’t have to go far. I knew the one place that she would be when she’s upset.

I walked back to the condo, and took the elevator to the very top floor. I then walked to the other end of the hallway, where there was another set of stairs that led to the rooftop.

No doubt, I saw her perched on top of piece of metal that was shaped as a box- clearly protecting whatever was inside it. She was in her pajama bottoms and a tank top, her arms wrapped around her legs, and her hair whipping about because of the wind

Picture perfect moment.

There was something missing though. Me beside her, my arms wrapped around her and her weight leaning against me. But I can worry about that another day. I have to take one problem at a time. I walked towards her and climbed onto the metal box beside her, looking at the beautiful skyline.

“I’m sorry I snapped at you,” I sighed. “It’s just that-,” I was about to explain myself but she cut me off telling me that it was okay. “Just like that?” I asked her.

“I started it,” she admitted.

I didn’t know what to say, so I just simply looked out over the scenery.

“It’s beautiful, huh?” she asked softly breaking the silence. I looked over at her with a slight smile on my face and shrugged, turning my attention back to the view. “What? You don’t like it?” she asked with an amused tone.

“I’ve seen better,” I said coolly.

“Oh? Like what?” she challenged.

I looked at her straight in the eyes. “Like the sight next to me,” I whispered. I saw her shiver, and I knew it wasn’t from the temperature. The girl had the skin of a snake.

Déjà vu.

Angel with a shotgun by The Cab started to play. “Aaaa! I love this song!” she laughed. I chuckled lightly and looked up at the sky as the eclipse started – such an amazing sight. “Isn't it pretty?” she asked in awe.

“Not compared to the sight next to me,” I said softly with a laugh. I felt a soft smack on my stomach.

“You’re a dork,” she rolled her beautiful hazel orbs.

“I know, but I’m your dork,” I winked at her with a squeal.
♠ ♠ ♠
oooh. what do you guys think about Deanna? ;D haha
Doesn't that just make your heart melt? That Ryan is nice enough to do that for them? (:
OH and Hazelyn trippin' over Ryan. hahaha

OMG. That fight. And oh dear lord the ring!
YOU'LL LOVE THE NEXT ONE! :D