Back to Square One

Happiness? That's What It's Called?

~~~ Kyle POV ~~~

We were still in France as Jay left with Hazelyn to go to Florida and Tristan left for the Bahamas with Stephanie. Everyone had just began packing to go back to their own homes, and we decided to meet up for the last time.

“How do you guys feel about Hazelyn and Ryan?” I asked as we were all assembled in Samantha’s and I’s hotel room. Tristan had explained to us that he arranged for Hazelyn and Jay to share rooms, putting aside the fact that one of them might not make it out alive. Most likely Jay, since Hazelyn’s still pretty damn pissed - which was a known fact despite her not talking about it after the first 6 months.

“Tristan said that there’s a valid reason. I honestly am not mad at Ryan anymore. I mean, we don’t know the whole story and just took Hazelyn’s side. Hazelyn had her wrongs too - of not listening to his explanation. She just keeps running away, which kind of irritates me. But she’s Hazelyn and she has her reasons, I just think that she should’ve stayed,” Jack answered first.

“Yeah, Jay isn’t a bad guy. It was both their faults. Jay isn’t telling us and Hazelyn didn’t listen,” Scotty agreed.

“Do you guys forgive him?” I asked the group. They all nodded. “How about Hazelyn? What if he tries to get with Hazelyn again? Would you approve?”. They nodded again.

“Hazelyn was undeniably head over heels for Jay, and same with him. I know for a fact that Hazelyn wouldn’t be able to get over him right away even if they haven’t seen each other in hella long,” Samantha spoke up.

“Agreed. There’s a reason that she stayed away. Because Jay is her weakness and one thing we know for sure - she’d listen to him and believe him. Unless she’s changed over the years. Jay has never once lied to her, and never once lied to any of us and I doubt he’d start now - especially when Hazelyn’s involved,” Luke said answered.

“I just feel bad that we’ve been neglecting the guy for the past three years, when he needed us. We’ve been on Hazelyn’s side without hearing Jay’s side,” I sighed.

“We owe it to him,” Jack mumbled.

“We sure as hell does,” Sam spoke up.

“How do you think we can make it up to him?” I asked.

We all gave each other knowing looks. “Get them back together,” we all said at the same time with evil glints in our eyes.

“Operation Get-Hazelyn-And-Jay-Back-Together starts today,” I concluded as we all hooted.

~~ Ryan POV ~~

I woke up with a strange feeling. A mixture of happiness and anger. Happiness? Hazelyn and I spent the day together. Anger? She couldn’t keep her mind of Derek.

I got up from bed and made my way to the kitchen where I smelled waffles. I can tell the difference between waffles and pancakes, yes. I saw Hazelyn in an apron and her back towards me, facing the stove.

“Morning,” she called out.

“Morning,” I mumbled as I sat on the table.

“Waffles?” she offered.

“Sure.”

She set down a plate in front of me – stacked with square waffles, topped with whip cream, a scoop of gelato and a strawberry on top. I raised an eyebrow at her as she gave me a coy smile. “Are you trying to make me fat?” I asked.

“You’re already fat,” she scoffed as she got her own stack and sat in front of me. She just stared at me as I stared down at my thousand calorie breakfast.

“Where’d you get the gelato?” I asked her.

“Don’t worry about it,” she chuckled. “Eat.” I picked up my for and took a piece, as I shoved it into my mouth. “How is it?” she asked wide-eyed.

“Heavenly,” I mumbled with the whole thing in my mouth. She let out a chuckle as she started on her own breakfast.

We had small talk here and there, and a bit of laughter too. “What’s got you so happy?” I asked her.

“Nothing. Derek said he’s going to send me a gift to make up for him forgetting my birthday,” she smiled widely.

I frowned at her. “And you forgive him?” I asked.

“Yeah, of course,” she chuckled. “Well, I have a meeting today so I have to stay home. I also have to meet up with a friend of D’s to pick up my gift, since he just came from France and is arriving tonight,” she explained.

“Oh, okay. I’ll drive you,” I offered.

“No, it’s okay. I can drive. I’ll have to borrow a car though,” she said.

“I’d rather not have you driving around Florida alone,” I frowned.

“I’ll be fine,” she assured.

“No, I’ll go with you.”

“Fine,” she huffed as she continued eating. I just don’t want you to meet up with a random stranger in the middle of the night. If you didn’t get a hint that I’m fucking in love with you.

I ended up staying in through the day. Hazelyn was just in front of her laptop smiling and giggling. I heard her sniffle a few times though, but I decided that we were in good terms for now and me walking in there while she was supposedly ‘silently crying’ would ruin everything. I could just imagine her throwing pillow after pillow at me and even attempt to throw me out through the window, which would surely kill me - since we were on the 25th floor.

I shuddered at the thought.

“What’s wrong with you?” she asked as she walked into the kitchen where I was seated in front of my own laptop.

“Nothing,” I mumbled as I closed all the windows that were open, and closing my laptop. They were pictures of her and I from years ago, and I doubt she’d be flattered. I think she’d just smack me and throw a knife at me. What the hell is up with my violent thoughts? Have I really gotten that scared of her?

“Okay?” she said awkwardly. “Should we go now?” she asked.

“Yeah sure,” I mumbled.

We drove to the airport in silence, just admiring the beauty of the scenery of Orlando. I found it fascinating that there were random swamps and lakes all around. And I found it nice that there wasn’t much traffic, compared to California and Paris. It was quite peaceful.

“Shooting star!” I suddenly heard Hazelyn yell out, pointing through the windshield. “Make a wish! Quick!”

I wish you were back in my arms, and stay there forever. I know it was stupid, but I knew it would take a miracle for her to take me back.

We got to our destination right on time. Hazelyn was texting on her phone, figuring out what he looked like. I was getting irritated because this guy took so long and I wanted to get the hell away from here already.

“What’d he say?” I mumbled, leaning against the car.

“He said that I’ll know if it’s him,” she sighed.

“Hazelyn!” I heard that monstrous voice.

Her head snapped towards the voice and she stiffened. She quickly regained her composure and beamed at him. “Derek!” she squealed and ran towards him. I wanted to puke.

“Baby, how have you been? I’m so sorry,” he apologized.

“No, it’s okay. What are you doing here?”

“I told you I’ll make it up to you,” he smiled at her. I sneered. The bastard had my entire life in his hands and he didn’t even know it.

“Aww,” Hazelyn smiled as she kissed his cheek, earning a frown from him. He looked ahead and his eyes landed on me, his frown deepening.

“What’s he doing here?” he frowned.

“Oh uhh, he drove me here,” Hazelyn said.

“And why is he here in Florida with you?”

Wait, he doesn’t know I’m here with her? “My brother asked him to take me around town for the weekend, and-“

“But you-,” he cut her off.

“I did, but not here,” she quickly covered.

“Where are you staying?” he asked.

“A friend’s place,” she said. I raised an eyebrow. Why is she not telling him?

“Friend?” he raised an eyebrow, darting a look at me.

“He’s not a friend,” she hissed. Bipolar much?

“Stay with me at my hotel then,” he said to her.

“I can’t. My brother’s gonna start wondering where I am. He keeps tabs with my friend,” Hazelyn sighed.

This is all weird! I’m confused.

“Fine, but can I meet your friend?” he asked.

“Yeah,” she nodded. “She’s out of town though, so I have her condo to myself,” she said.

“Then, can I stay there?”

“Guards report,” Hazelyn sighed. “Plus, she said not to let anybody in.” Hazelyn was obviously lying, and this guy can’t even tell? What the fuck? And he’s supposed to be her boyfriend? What a shame.

“Fine,” he sighed. “Are you going back to the hotel with me?” he asked.

“Can’t. Brother got me on lock down with this guy right here, and he reports,” she sneered at me. I was taken aback at her sudden attitude. “I’ll meet up with you tomorrow when this jackass leaves though,” she smiled at him.

“Okay babe,” he said as he leaned over to kiss her lips, but she subtly turned away so he hit the corner. Fuck yeah! Nobody calls my woman babe. Oh wait, she’s your woman. Fuck it.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” she waved as he hailed a cab and got in, and after they drove off, she let out a loud sigh.

“Why’d you lie to him?” I asked her right away.

“None of you beeswax, now get us home. I’m fucking tired,” she spat at me as she got into the car - slamming the door, making me flinch.

I ran over to the driver’s side and started the engine. We were a block away from the condo when spoke up. “What’s got your panties in a bunch?” I asked her. Her eyes were narrowed into thin slits. I was gonna let it go, but it was irritating me. I don’t even know what I did!

“Mind your own fucking business,” she muttered.

“What the hell is your problem?”

“You’re my fucking problem!” she yelled at me.

“What did I do?!”

“Figure it out!” she yelled, stomping out the car, slamming the door and got into the elevator. I ran after her and decided that I was pissed off too. If she was taking it out on me, I’ll take it out on her.

“As far as I know, I’ve been nothing but nice to you! I’m the one that remembered your birthday when your own boyfriend didn’t, remember?”

“You’re also the damn reason that I can’t spend my time with him because you need to use me to pose as your girlfriend to get rid of that stupid slut!”

“Nobody’s stopping you from leaving!”

“That’s a lie! Because I damn well know that you’re going to go run and tell my brother and ruin happiness for me!”

“You call that happiness? Really?”

She paused and looked at me in shock, which quickly turned into a glare. “Can you just get a hint and leave me alone? I don’t want you in my fucking life. There was a reason why I left you!” she spat, before slamming the door to her room.

I just looked after her in shock. That hit a nerve. That hit a nerve hard - so fucking hard that I stepped into the shower and cried.
♠ ♠ ♠
oooh... Hazelyn's hiding stuff from her boyfieee.
bad bad.
But ouch, and just when we thought they were gonna get along, huh? TSK!