Status: This one is done. Check out the sequel-No One Belongs Here More Than You!

I Don't Want To Solve Your Problems, I Have My Own

Chapter Three

I left the Starbucks a little stunned. Ashley definitely was a different girl. She seemed so happy and confident when she walked into the coffee shop, but when she left I knew better than that.

”My dad was an alcoholic, and when I was 8 my mom bailed on both of us. He wasn’t very helpful, and by 14 I had to work three under the counter jobs just so we could keep our shitty apartment. My dad wasn’t a happy drunk either…he was actually pretty bad. I used to have to join contact sports just to cover for the bruises. I didn’t want people to think he was a bad person. He wasn’t. He just had a problem. After a while I slipped into a severe depression. I’ve tried to kill myself…multiple times. It’s kind of embarrassing, but it’s the truth. That’s why the doctors weren’t surprised to see me there, and that’s why the police didn’t question you too much by the way. I’ve lived in Pittsburgh for a very long time, and I have a history with this area. Anyway, my dad died when I was 18…so, three years ago? I’ve been on my own ever since…not that I wasn’t before. I have some people who help me pay for my tuition at school, but my grades have been slipping…if I don’t pass this stupid math class I’m taking, they’re pulling their money out. I’m an English major…why do I need math? Anyway…that’s why I ran into the street. I was so upset, I couldn’t think straight. Sorry if I caused any trouble for you. You seem like a nice guy.”
That conversation was haunting, the way she said everything so matter-of-factly. I told her that I would be checking up on her in a few days, “just to see how the healing is going”, but really, something inside of me wanted to be friends with this girl. She seemed so lonely…and I had so much in my life, so wasn’t it time I shared it? But be careful Evgeni…you never know with people these days.

I sat at my desk ready to rip my hair out when my phone rang.

“What?” I growled, not even bothering to check the caller ID.

“Sorry, is this a bad time?” A man with a heavy Russian accent asked. Oh shit, it’s Evgeni.

“No, sorry…I’m just trying to figure out this stupid math and it’s pissing me off. What’s up?” I asked, running a hand through my now disheveled hair. My apartment was a mess, worse than usual because I had been studying so hard that I hadn’t cleaned in a few days. I got the cheapest apartment available, so it was already a disgrace to begin with.

“It’s fine. I was wondering how things were going….you know, how you’re feeling and all,” he said. He’s got the sweetest voice…even if the Russian makes him sound a little harsh, he sounds so sweet.

“I’m fine. The arm and ankle are healing up nicely and all that, so I should be good to go in a few weeks,” I grinned. I heard him let out a sigh of relief.

“That’s good. Hey, I’m having some people over on Saturday, and I was wondering, if you can take a break from studying that is, if you’d want to come too. It’ll be fun, and you seem kind of stressed out so I thought fun would be good for you,” he chuckled. I glanced at the ratty calendar pinned above my desk. This math test was on Thursday and I had an English test on Friday…easy as pie

“That sounds great. Just tell me when and where, and I’ll be there,” I smiled. I jotted Evgeni’s into the little box for Saturday and turned in my chair to face the mess that was my bedroom.

“Now what am I going to wear to a hockey player’s party?” I muttered.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, you get most of Ashley's background...well the abriged version anyway :D Evgeni...well, he's pretty much being Geno. The first few chapters are bound to be shorties because this is just the beginning of the friendship, so not much time spent together...sorry ^.^'