Status: i will update each new chapter either on a weekend or when i get 5 people to comment per chapter

There and Back

Power Surge

Christmas came and went quickly. I was packed and ready to go to by the first of January. Dad was a little too sentimental to take me to Vegas so the Cullen kids and of course Bella went with me to move to Las Vegas. Emmett, Rosalie, and I were all going in Emmett's jeep with all the crap I was taking loaded in the back. The other four were going in Edward's Volvo. Mostly I just slept during the long ass car ride since I've been having very restless nights thinking about Jake. I know that I’m a bitch for hurting him but I really didn’t think that we would work out.
I hadn't seen or heard from Jacob since the party, but it was better that way because then it would be harder to leave. I used to think that I was so fearless. Then the one thing that mattered most in the world comes into my life and I was completely terrified. What the hell is wrong with me that my mind is so screwed up? I sighed, so glad that Edward wasn't here to listen to my thoughts.
"Tell me again why you didn't want a dorm room," Bella grumbled when we got to my new apartment. It was right off of the Vegas Strip. It was a three story building that didn't look to be in the best conditions. Bella eyed it cautiously as we pulled my stuff from the jeep.
"Because, Bella," I sighed, "living alone is going to be better than living in a dorm. If I'm by myself it will be easier to study. I'll be fine, sis."
She played nervously with her fingers. "Let's see your place before I decide if I'm gonna freak out. Okay?" I nodded and linked arms with her, leading her up to the second floor. The door to my room was the sixth from the elevator and right next to the stairs. It was a plain brown door in the wall of the narrow hallway. My expectations weren't high.
I was afraid of Bella's reaction as I opened the door. I stepped in and slowly flipped the light switch. What I saw shocked me. The walls were painted light blue, a freshly polished glass door stood on the opposite wall leading to an open balcony. A beige loveseat, plasma TV, and sound system decorated the small living room. The kitchen was equipped with new appliances that all stood black against the dark brown counter and cabinets. The apartment looked brand spankin' new in the old building. I turned to look accusingly at the Cullens and noticed that the door had two bolts and one chain lock.
"Do you like it?" Alice asked excitedly.
"Love it. I should have known you'd do something like this."
"Actually, it was Rosalie's idea. She and I came yesterday to set it all up for you."
I turned my attention to the beautiful blonde. She just shrugged like it was no big deal while her sister was absolutely beaming. "It's nothing really. Just some safety precautions so you don't wind up like me."
"Thank you," I smiled genuinely. Bella may have wanted that existence but I wanted to keep my life.
After a few hours of hanging out, they all filed out of the room with one last hug good-bye. Bella's eyes were teeming with fresh tears as she squeezed me. Rose and Emmett both told me to call if I needed anything. Emmett looked like he'd rather have stayed with me and gone clubbing but Rosalie's stern expression kept him from voicing his idea. Good thing too, 'cause he could be a total killjoy when he got overprotective.
Jasper and Alice were the last to leave. She gave me a quick peck on the cheek and then pranced out into the hall gracefully. Jasper gave me an awkward one-armed hug. "Here, you might need this." He pulled out an ID card from his pocket. The picture was one from Christmas with me rolling my eyes and looking pretty pissed off. It looked totally authentic but said that I was twenty-one, just like the one I'd had in Jacksonville.
"Thanks, Jasper." I grinned.
Deep down, I was feeling a little nervous. Jasper smiled slightly but it soon turned to a small frown. Alice came dancing in with a confused look on her face. "That is the strangest thing ever," she muttered.
"What is?"
"I can't see you."
"What do you mean? I'm right here."
"No, I mean your future. It's not like with the wolves, though. With them everything just disappears. With you, it's like you don't exist."
"And I can't feel your emotions," Jasper added. "One minute I could sense you and the next... nothing. How are you feeling right now?"
"Confused," I answered.
"And now?" he asked a second later.
"Same."
"Hm... I was trying to make you feel excited. This is strange."
Alice suddenly gasped, scaring the crap out of me. "Lizzy, I think you have a power!" she exclaimed.
"Alice, what the hell are you talking about? You've seen my future and Jasper's used his empathy on me."
"I think it was just weak before. When you were in Italy, the only way I could find you was looking into Bella's future. I think that Bella's a shield against mental powers and you're one against physical powers."
"Oh my god, Alice. I-I think you're right."
"This is so exciting. We've got to tell-"
"No one," I stated. "You can tell Carlisle but that's it. I want to be certain before we start flaunting this."
They both nodded in agreement and left. I collapsed onto the loveseat with my head in my hands. This was all too bizarre. Just one more thing wrong with me.
♠ ♠ ♠
woo-hoo! updates!! thanks blakkarma22, alyssanparker, JustThinking, PixieChick101, BieberShadows, Bluecaty15, already insane for commenting! love you guys =D