Status: Finished :) Don't be a silent reader!

You Only Live Once

"What Hurts the Most" -Cascada

Gemma stared at her parents, hating herself for hurting them so much. “I’m so, so, so sorry! I, I, I don’t know what I was thinking… I went to this stupid party and I wasn’t even going to do anything but I did and it was so dumb and I just didn’t even mean to and I figured it was just a one time thing and it would never happen again but somehow the cops saw and they got me, and, and, and, I’m so sorry!”

Her mother and father exchanged sorrowful glances. “We just don’t understand, Gemma,” her father finally said. “We thought… we thought we raised you better then this.”

“You did! I mean, you still are… I’m not like that! That was my first, and last time, ever! I swear to God! Please, believe me! I never meant for any of this to happen! Please, please, please…” Gemma collapsed in to sobs in the back seat.

She didn’t notice that they were even driving until they pulled into the driveway of their house. They all got out of the car silently and trudged in to the house. When they got inside, Gemma sat down on the couch and waited for her parents to yell at her. But they didn’t.

Her dad simply shook his head and walked off, presumably to the office to do some work on his computer.

Her mom looked at her for a long time. Before leaving, she said, “I’ve never been so disappointed in you in my entire life.” And then she left.

Gemma’s heart was in her throat. She was expecting a screaming. She wanted a screaming. Anything would have been better then the hurt she saw in her parents’ eyes.

She wanted more then anything to take it all back.

But that’s not how life works. She had to live in the mess she created.

You only live once. You can’t change that.

It’s how you live.

Gemma’s life just fell apart.

And now, all she could do was sit and wait.

Wait for her trial date.

Wait for the hurt to leave her parents’ eyes.

Wait for the memory to drift away.

She would have to wait a long time.