The Plague of Popularity

This Is The Part Of Me I See In You

I woke up with an arm across my back and a knee in my side. I turned slightly to make out who was next to me—Mikey. We had managed to get into a rather rediculous pillow fight; it was like we were a bunch of teenage girls last night. Reality sank in as I glanced across the room and took in the sleeping form of Gerard. We had school today; things went back to how they were. I wasn’t like him; I couldn’t just abandone everything I’ve ever known just for my own happiness. I didn’t want to ignored, hated point blank; I wanted to remain accepted and well known.

I quietly got myself together and took my bag upstairs. Donna was already up, she questioned my early awakening; explaining that ger boys usually rush around last minute to catch the bus. I made up some lie about a project I had to help work on. I quickly found the bathroom and changed my clothes—shit—my car. Travis would recoginize my car anywhere. I glanced outside as I put my shoes on in the living room—Donna offered to make breakfast but I refused, politely of course and bid her thanks and farewell.

I glanced at the house of Way as I sat in my car; noticing the small window that was above Gerard’s bed. I saw his pale face staring back at me, he just shook his head at me and put the curtain back—shutting me out. I drove to school extra early, parking in my assigned space and just sat there. I was an hour early; I let my thoughts take over. Gerard’s family was so together, such an actual family—whereas mine was just the structure of one. There was a mother and a father and a child, but we didn’t act like a family.

I think I was an unplanned and unexspected burden to them. They’re very wealthy people, my parents, and really don’t take an interest in my life. If I were to turn my back on everything I’ve ever known like Gerard did at his old school, my parents definitely wouldn’t move for me. I say burden because if I was something they actually wanted I’d have a sibling. Both my parents come from large families; I have a lot of cousins.

Travis, well I guess you’d call him my ‘best friend’. He’s the one that makes sure I’m keeping to standards on what our peers redeem cool. He’s the unannounced ringleader. We’re not allowed to party at his house, cops patrol his neighborhood; Gerard’s neighborhood. He lives in such an area because unlike my parents, his like to keep a low profile on their wealth. He buys the best for himself though; always labeled with some high priced name somewhere on his body.

My mind wandered back to Gerard. Was there more to him just being shut out than he was telling me? Did something happen to him that caused them to move so suddenly? I know that I would become so isolated, so alone and I think that’s what kept me doing my charade every day. I wasn’t teased like the rest of my peers; I just stood by and let it happen. I wasn’t ignored, beaten; I was adored and looked up to. I was everything I hated, but everything I’ve ever wanted to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
so i ran out of lyrics to use from 'the plague of popularity' so i'm using other bits of lyrics from them[gold mind squad] and this chapter title comes from 'this is your hope'