The Plague of Popularity

If You Knew.

“You are.”

I shook my head, my grandfather hated me once he found out I liked boys. He hasn’t spoken to me in years.

“Why me? He hates me!”

Another thing to add to the list of things I need to figure out. I was going to be wealthier than my own father and I don’t even have a job. I wouldn’t need a job with the amount of money my grandfather has.

“As you’re still under the age of eighteen you can only have limited access to your funds. You cannot touch your money till your birthday in October.”

“So who has control of it till then?”

She smiled; the one that let me know that the woman I knew my mother to be was still in my presence.

“I am.”

I felt my lungs tighten but I didn’t let her see any change in my stance. If she had control over all of my money I was fucked. I just gave her a small smile and finished my cold macaroni before disappearing into my room. I slammed my door, letting her know that she won her stupid game downstairs.

I am the way I am because of that woman that’s in our kitchen right now. I’m the spoilt brat I am, the rich momma’s boy because of her. I only wear the clothes I wear; associate with who I associate with because of her. She made sure that I was accepted when we moved here—that I was wanted by my peers.

It broke her cold, black heart the day she found out I was gay. She found my ex and I with our hands down each other’s pants and tongues down each other’s throats. She’s why he hates me to this day. Weren’t expecting that were you? To find out yours truly can’t even take down his own mother.

It was only April; I had six more months till my birthday. Till I could walk away from the people labeled my parents and never speak to them again if I so choose; one more month till I was free from the confines of hell known as high school—till I was free from the plague of my own popularity. I’ve never been more impatient in my life.

I fount out Gerard’s birthday was in three days. Wednesday night I was going to take him out. I’d asked his mother before I came home. I wonder if she knew how heartless my mother really is—if she knows Linda’s friendship is just another act she uses every day.

The phone rang, I waited a few times before realizing she wasn’t going to pick up—we picked up at the same time.

“Hello.”

I heard her sickeningly sweet voice.

“Linda, baby is that you?”

I heard her giggle.

“Listen, Donna’s taken the boy’s out for the evening, they’re seeing a movie, what do you say you come over and keep me company?”

I just dropped the phone then and there. My mother was the other woman that Mikey referenced Friday afternoon. I heard footsteps and then a knock on my door, I kicked the phone away and grabbed Pansy as my door opened.

“Sweetie, I’m going to go check on your father, I’ll be gone for a few hours; you’ll be alright?”

I just nodded and continued strumming; as soon as my door was shut I placed Pansy on my bed and threw the nearest object—my backpack. I couldn’t keep this kind of information to myself; I had to tell someone, anyone really. Now I know why I’m such the fake person everyone loves; I acted just like her.