The Plague of Popularity

The Flaws In Us.

When we returned home I knew today was too good to be true. Dad dropped Gee off at his house before we returned home. Dad explained to Donna what happened and I got a text from Mikey letting me know just how much trouble Gerard was in.

“I got a call from your mother today.”

We hadn’t even gotten out of the car yet. We had just parked and he just turned the engine off.

“What did she want?”

He put his head on the steering-wheel; I’ve never seen my father look so defeated before—ever. He just shook his head before he sat up, took a deep breath and climbed out. Anthony was back—I knew today was too good to be true.

He locked himself in his study again—something he’s done since the night my mother left. I know that’s where his alcohol stash is, thought I’ve never even smelt a hint of alcohol on him.

What did my mother want? Why would she call my father? Like a ton of bricks it hit me—she wanted to ruin my life. I was broken out of my thoughts as my bedroom door burst open.

So much for my father not drinking; I could smell something from across the room and I know it wasn’t the bottle he held in his hand. He just stared at me, almost deciding if he should tell me what he was about to say—what he wanted to say earlier.

“You’re not permitted to see Gerard any longer. I forbid it. Hate me all you want for it, but believe me when I tell you it’s for the best.”

He just turned and walked away from me. No explanation, just a ‘stop seeing Gee’ and that was it. I remembered the last words my mother said to me—‘I could ruin everything you have Frankie dear…