Don't Be in the Bath When Opportunity Knocks

Debutante's Ball

Tre and Audrey walked down the sidewalk arm in arm. It'd been a month since Tre'd found out Audrey was working as a stripper and neither of them had mentioned it since. Audrey was too ashamed and Tre was too afraid she'd get mad and kick him out. She'd never threatened to do so, but he wanted to be safe. He'd grown t trust her more than anyone and didn't want to jeopardize their friendship. They turned down a side street.

"Where are we going exactly?" Tre said.

"I wasn't aware that we had a destination," she laughed.
"Well, we can't just wander around," he whined.
"Fine, let's go in here,' she pulled on his arm and lead him into a little rich bitch boutique.
"Aw, Audrey, this is where rich chicks go," he protested.
"You said you didn't want to just wander," she giggled.
"Yeah, yeah," he sighed.

They were immediately barraged with ' You don't belong here' looks from the shop girls. Audrey dragged him over to the first rack of dresses.

"Ooh, this is so pretty," she said pulling out an emerald colored satin dress.
"Try it on," Tre said flipping through the rack. She held up the price tag: $450.
"So? It doesn't cost to try on," he wiggled his eyebrows at her. She smiled at him.
"You're right." She laid the dress in the crook of her arm.

"What about these?" Tre held up a pair of red heels.
"Ooh," Audrey practically squealed. "I love red shoes!"
"$375," he grinned at her.
"That's so much money!" Audrey whispered.
"Is there anything I can help you with?" one of the shop girls said, bustling over to make sure they weren't ripping anything off.
"Oh, we're good," Audrey said, dismissing her.
"It's like 'EW! Get the poor people away from the merchandise!'," Tre whispered to Audrey.
She giggled. "I know."
"Go try it on," Tre pushed her towards the dressing room.

"Okay, okay," She said closing the door behind her. He leaned on the room wall.
"So, what are you two up to?" the shop girl asks leaning on the counter.
"Well," Tre said, biting his lip. "I really shouldn't be telling you this. I wouldn't want the media to find out."

"The media?" the two girls gasped.
"Oh yeah," Tre said running a hand through his bleached hair. "We had a run-in with them in Houston and we'd like to avoid that this time."
"Oh," the dark haired shopgirl said. "What did they do?"
"Well, you know, followed us into shops, restaurants, that kind of thing. We're looking for an outfit for her debutante ball and everyone want's the first picture, you know. The constant attention can be rather difficult."

"Wow," the girls said wide-eyed. "You came all the way from Houston?"
Tre nodded. "We'd hoped we'd be able to shop in peace here."
The girls nodded in awe as Audrey came out of the dressing room.
"How do I look?" she said spinning.

"Oh, just wonderful," the girls fawned, believing every word of Tre's story. Audrey grinned at him.
"Beautiful," he said, blushing.
"Oh, here," the girls said rushing over to her. "Let us help you pick out some."
"So," the light haired girl said, rifling through the rack. "When's your party?"
"Oh, uh," Audrey stammered. "Two weeks, IF I can find a decent dress. It's in Paris, you know. I have to have a good dress."

"Paris," the girls breathed.
"Oh, try this one," the dark haired one handed her a really short hot pink dress.
"Oh, I don't know," Audrey said, holding it up to her body.
"Just try," Tre said.

"Yes, your boyfriend is right," the dark haired one urged, hoping that her dress would be worn by a 'debutante'. Audrey just giggled at the thought of Tre as her boyfriend.

"Okay," she said taking it into the dressing room.

'Oh god, what has Tre gotten us into?' she thought as she pulled the dress over her head. It was the most hideous Barbie pink and VERY short. There was no mirror in the dressing room, and Audrey was grateful. She hated herself in shirts that short. They were way too much like her work outfits. Sighing, she opened the door and walked out. The shopgirls shrieked and clamored over to her, fussing about how 'super-hot' she was. She looked over at Tre, who had bug eyes and his jaw hanging open. She gave him the stink eye and he snapped his jaw shut.
"This is just the hottest," the blonde girl said fluffing the short skirt.
"Yes, well," Audrey said returning to the dressing room. She removed the rich whore dress (priced at $650) and put her ragged jeans and Elvis Costello concert t-shirt back on.

"We'll have to discuss and compare, of course," she handed the dress back to the shop girl.

"Of course,' they repeated as she and Tre linked arms and walked out of the store. Once they'd gotten out of sight of the store, Audrey smacked his arm.
"What the hell was that?" she laughed.

"What?" he said nonchalantly. She shook her head.
"I'll give you one thing, Wright," she said taking his arm again. "You're a good liar."

"And I'll give you one thing, Cavanaugh," Tre said, giggling at her last name. It was fun to say. "You shouldn't wear bubble gum pink. Like, ever."