Don't Be in the Bath When Opportunity Knocks

So Long Mendocino

Who's gonna tell you when it's too late?
Who's gonna tell you things aren't so great?
You can't go on thinkin' nothing's wrong.
Who's gonna drive you home tonight?

***

It was Homecoming night and the home team was obliterated. Tre didn't care though. It was his unofficial going-away-party. Since he was class president, whether they liked him or not, everyone knew him and he'd invited everyone, so the kegger was jammed.

"Alright. Hey everyone, everyone listen up!" Alex said standing on the hood of a car.

"Okay, I just want to give a send-off to Tre here."

The crowd quieted down and turned to face the car. Alex motioned for Tre to get on the car. As he pulled himself onto the hood, Alex put his hand on Tre's shoulder and said,

"Everyone here, at least I think everyone here knows Tre."

He squinted into the crowd, noticing some of the student body that weren't friends of Tre hovering around the kegs. He continued, "Everyone knows Tre and what a kick-ass drummer he is."

There was a resounding 'woo' from the audience.

"And we know he's gonna go down south and rock the fuckin' socks off those City drummers!"

Another 'woo'.

"So I just wanna give a toast to the best fuckin' drummer in Mendo County!"

The third 'woo' was accompanied by raised plastic cups of beer.

"Yeah!" Tre said, taking a swig of his beer. "I guess I wanna just say thanks to the people who showed up which looks to be only about five of you."

The crowd laughed and he jumped off the hood of the car. He meandered through the crowd, saying hi to people, and occasionally refilling his cup.

"Hey," a blonde girl said when Dhe crashed into him. "Oh, Tre, I'm gonna miss you." She threw her arms around him.

"Hey Abby," he said hugging her back.

"So'r you gonna come for a... a vist-s 'r two?" She slurred.

"Abby, you're trashed."

She laughed. "Yeah, I know."

"Of course I'll visit. I think my Dad's gonna make me come back once in a while."

"Okay," she said before stumbling off. Tre chuckled to himself. 'Only a month more of this shit,' he thought.