Don't Be in the Bath When Opportunity Knocks

Not Daddy's Little Girl

Roxanne
You don't have to put on the red light
Those days are over
You don't have to sell your body to the night

***
"Well, here it is," Audrey flipped on a light. "My room's in the back."
Tre surveyed the space. The kitchen was a mini fridge, sink and hot plate that was in an off branch of the front room which had a small couch and a black and white TV propped up on an overturned milk crate.
"So I guess this is where I'll sleep," he said pointing to the couch.
"Yeah, it's small but-" Audrey started.
"No, no. Don't worry about it. You should see where I used to live. No electricity," he said sitting on the couch.
"Are you serious?" she said with wide eyes. Tre nodded.
"Um, the bathroom is through my room, so I guess if you need it, just come on through. I won't mind. It's small, but I figure it goes along with the aesthetic of the rest of the apartment."
"That's cool," Tre said looking around.
"You're so easy going," she said smiling.
"Is it okay if I use your phone?" he asked. Audrey nodded.
"I don't have long distance," she said going into her room and closing the door to give him privacy.
"Don't worry about it," he called. He heard her laugh. Picking up the phone, he dialed Larry Livermore's number. It rang forever until the answering machine picked up.
"Uh, hey it's Tre. I'm in town, so... yeah, I just wanted to tell you that. I know you were going down south to deal with label stuff but I thought you weren't leaving 'till later. I guess I was wrong. I'll try back later. Bye." He hung up the phone, slightly confused.
"You can come out now," he called to Audrey. She came out of her room with a duffel bag.
"What's that?" Tre said pointing to the bag as she dropped it in front of the door.
"Nothing. Work stuff," she said quickly, walking over to the fridge and pulling out a Mountain Dew.
"Want?" she held it up to show Tre.
"Yeah, " he said holding out his hands to catch it. She got herself another one and sat cross legged on the floor in front of him.
"So, what's your story?" she said cracking open her can.
"What do you mean?" Tre asked suspiciously.
"Nothing bad. I just don't know anything about you and I figure if I bring you into my home and give you my Mountain Dew, I deserve to know something about you."
"Uh," Tre began

"What, are you a runaway?"
"No," Tre laughed. "Hardly."
"Okay, you said you were sixteen, right?"
"Yeah. Let's see. I'm sixteen. I'm from Medocino County. I could go for some weed right about now...'" he laughed.
"Sorry, fresh out," she smirked at him.
"Brothers, sisters, concubines?" she asked cocking an eyebrow.
"Sister, Lori. Sadly no concubines. Yet." He laughed. "What about you?"
"Uhh," she sighed. "Complicated."
"I've got time," Tre egged her on.
Sighing, she got up and went to her room. When she returned she chucked a joint and lighter at Tre. When his eyebrows shot up at it in delight, she said,
"We're gonna need this."
Lighting it, Tre said,
"So... brothers, sisters, concubines?"
Audrey laughed.

"Brother, sister, no concubines. Brother's at UCLA. He's a fucking genius. You know, how it is. Sister is about your age. Daddy's princess."
"Oh, yeah?"
"Yeah, cheerleader. I know it's a cliche, but the parents totally play favorites with her. She's pretty, popular, doesn't have a penchant for freaking out at them, running away, getting high and going home with random guys. You know, that kind of stuff." She let out an almost maniacal laugh. Tre passed the joint to her.
"Wow. Tough, huh?" He said.
"Don't worry. I get by, you know? I'm so much happier on my own. As apparently you've discovered."
"What?" Tre asked, confused by her statement.
"You're on your own, right? I mean, obviously if you are, you made a decision to be so."
"Oh yeah. I moved up here because of the scene. I play up here a lot, so I figured it'd be better if I just came up here to live. I mean, I wasn't getting anywhere where I was."

"Totally. I think after tenth grade, my parents just gave up on me. They didn't care if I graduated or not. I think they wanted me out so I wouldn't embarrass them any more." She handed the joint back to him and pulled her hair off her neck. Tre could see some scratches running from her throat all the way back. He couldn't help but stare at them.
"I'm nineteen, by the way," she said.
"Oh, yeah?"
She nodded. "You said you come up to play. What?"
"Drums," he answered.
"You're a drummer." she laughed.
"Yeah, for the Lookouts."
She snapped her fingers. "I knew I had seen you before. Hey, for a kid, you're really good!"
Tre shrugged. "I'm the best. Hey, when do you work?"
"Huh?" the question startled her.

"When do you work?" he repeated.
"Oh, tonight, uh, graveyard. I gotta be there by ten-thirty."
"It's ten now," Tre said looking at the clock above the hot plate. "The pot's not gonna be worn off by then. "
"Oh, they don't care,' she said nonchalantly.
"Cool place to work," Tre said taking a drag.
"Not really..." her voice trailed off.