Don't Be in the Bath When Opportunity Knocks

You're In

She was standing at the load-in when the trucks rolled out
She was sniffing all around like a half grown female pup
She wasn't hard to talk to
Looked like she had no where to go
So I gave her a pass so she could get in and see the show
Well I sat her down right next to me and I got her a beer
While I mixed that sound on the stage so the band could hear
The more I watched her watch him play
The less I thought of to say
And when they walked off stage
The drummer swept that girl away
Well I guess I should have known from the start she'd come for a star
Could have told my imagination not to run to far
Of all the times that I've been burned
By now you'd think I'd have learned
That it's who you look like, not who you are
Rosie you're all right
When you hold me tight
Rosie that's my thing
When you turn out the light I got to hand it to me
Looks like it's you and me again tonight, Rosie.
***

"What's with you?" Audrey laughed. Tre was pacing back and forth between the front door and the kitchen.
"I'm nervous and I don't know why."
"Don't you have that band thing tonight?" she picked up a magazine from beside the couch.
"Uh," he sighed and plopped down next to her, laying his head on her shoulder.
"Yeah, that's probably why."
She kissed his forehead. "Don't freak."
The action of her kissing him made him shoot up off her shoulder.
"I'm going to go for a walk," he said, jumping off the couch and heading to the door.
"Okay," she called after him. 'It's so easy to freak him out,' she thought, laughing to herself. She settled into reading her shitty magazine. It was quiet. She wasn't used to it being quiet with Tre around. It wasn't that she minded having him around- she actually enjoyed his company. It was very lonely before he'd come home with her.
"I'm back," Tre said. His voice startled her out of her thoughts.
"That wasn't very long," she smiled over to him.
"It doesn't matter how long it is, it's how wide it is that counts," he said going over to the mini-fridge. Audrey rolled her eyes.
"I see. How late are you going to be?"
"Don't know. Why?"
"Oh I work tonight. Just wondering."
***
Tre stood outside on the porch of the house that's address was on the paper Billie Joe had given him. He'd ring the bell twice and no one had answered. He was thinking that he'd been given a phoney address when her heard,
"Hey! Tre, over here!"
Tre spun around and saw Billie Joe waving wildly from the driveway. He jumped off the porch and jogged over.
"Hey," he said, catching his breath.
"Sorry,' Billie Joe apologized. "I should have told you that we're in the garage."
"No problem," Tre said waving to Mike. "So, you've got a set right?"
"Yeah," Mike said. "But only temporarily. Will that be a problem?"
"Nah. My sister has mine. I was gonna set it up in the living room of the place where I live, but it's really small, and I didn't want it to get in the way. I'm basically living there for free and i don't want to push it."
"Whom do you live with?" Mike asked. "Your sister?"
"God no!" Tre laughed. " I live with this girl I met at the Gilman."
"You're a sugar daddy?" Billie half joked.
"I wish," Tre cackled. "No she let me come home with her, I think because she felt sorry for me. She's older, like 19. She works at night all the time, so I'm basically by myself. It's a pretty good deal."
"That's cool," Mike said. "Better than living with your mom and dad."
"Tell me about it," Tre laughed.
"Well, let's get this started," Billie said, pointing to a kit set up in the corner of the garage.
They had him run through a few songs, just to make sure he really was good enough for them.
"Uh, we'll be right back," Billie said, pulling on Mike to get him to go outside.
'What do you think?" he said when they were out of Tre's earshot.
"He's good."
"Yeah, really good,' Billie agreed.
"I say he's in," Mike said.
"Okay, me too."
They wandered back into the garage.
"After much deliberation," Mike began.
"We decided that you're in," Billie finished for him.
"That's great!" Tre said jumping up off the stool. "I can get my sister to bring my kit by here so you can give this one back."
"Yeah, that'd be good," Billie chuckled. "I keep getting harassed about when I'm gonna give this one back."
***
"AUDREY!" Tre screamed as he opened the door to her flat. "AUDREY! THEY LET ME IN!"
"Okay, don't yell," she said coming out of her bedroom. She had a wet washcloth pressed against her eye.
"Sorry, I didn't know if you were home. Wait, what the hell happened to you?"
"Customer."
"You always say that. Is it a boyfriend or something that's beating on you?"
Audrey laughed. "I don't have a boyfriend."
"Where do you work that you can have customers that hurt you? I just don't get it."
Audrey sighed. "No you don't."