Status: COMPLETED

Before Everything and After

Well Adjusted

Somehow, whenever I got behind the wheel, I always got extremely sober. I guess this is a good thing, because Tyler is never in any shape to drive. I drive slowly to Tyler's house, not wanting to jolt him from his little doze.

I pull into his driveway, and I'm caught by surprise. All of his lights are out. Usually, his mom has the good common sense to keep the patio light on. I sigh and jump out of my truck.

"C'mon, Tyler," I say as soon as I open the passenger's side. "You're home. C'mon, you lazy bastard, get the fuck out of my truck."

Tyler moans and slowly pulls himself out. "Why's it dark, Nick?"

"Your mom forgot, I guess." I take his waist with my arm and lead him to his house. "C'mon, let's get you to your room." I gingerly search his pockets for his keys and find them in his jacket pocket. I open the front door and kick it open, hobbling to keep it from slamming on the wall behind it with my foot.

Tyler shakes me off and starts stumbling towards the back to his room. "Listen, I'll be okay. Go home." His voice is croaky, and his eyes are shining in the dark as he stares at me.

I shrug. "Okay, just be careful, bro."

"Yeah," he croaks and he disappears.

I turn and go back outside to my truck, ready to drive back home.

"So fucking looking forward to going home and sleeping in," I say out loud as I drive down the road to my house. I'm feeling sleepier the more I drive, and when I blink I close my eyes for a few seconds. When I open my eyes, there's what looks like a feral creature in the road. I skid to a stop, heart hammering in my chest.

The creature is pale and bloody. I lean forward and peer out of my windshield for a better look. The creature looks up and bares its teeth, blood seeping out of its torn mouth. It looks like a woman, but I can't be completely sure. It lets out a screech and runs with all four legs into the woods next to the road.

I sit there, heart pounding, for a few more moments. "What the fuck was that?" I gasp out, choking with nervous laughter. I rub my eyes with the heel of my palms and take a deep breath. "Fuck, I'm more fucked up than I thought…" I shake my head and start driving again, taking the road slowly.

When I get home, I make sure the front door and my bedroom window is firmly locked. I don't trust whatever was out there, and despite how scared I really am, I fall asleep quickly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooooh, our first zombie! :DDD

Silent readers, please comment? :<