Status: Active

à la folie

Bad

“Do you know where you’re going?” I nodded at Angelica, holding the coffee between cupped hands and leaning against the white marble counter that dug into my back like a rock claw.

It was eight am; school started at eight-forty-five and the walk was about thirty minutes down the hard stone paths. Angelica had taken me to the school yesterday, just so I knew how to get there. It was on the other side of the town square, bordering along a river. A blue river.

Angelica nodded and started sorting back through papers she had drawn from an opaque file case, humming Blake Shelton under her breath as she went. I watched her with mild interest as she brushed her chestnut hair back from her face, leaning in to read the smaller print, a frown adorning her lips.

She wasn’t my real mum, I knew that, and the man we had left behind wasn’t my real dad. They had adopted me when I was 10 from an orphanage in London, and moved me out to a relatively expensive house in Cornwall, where I had been living up until a few days ago. Angelica and Jacks marriage had been falling part for some time, and a few months ago they finally cracked and Jack moved out, proposing a divorce. He made no claim on me though; he said Angelica was welcome to keep me.

I’m not surprised.

Jack had liked me at first, loved me even, then everything just seemed to go wrong. I stopped sleeping, I started smoking, I started listening to ‘weird’ music and I stopped talking. He hated it all, he hated me being me. He would yell at me for it, but it wasn’t that phasing really if you think about the millions of kids being shouted at by an adult every day. That made Jack angrier though, not reacting.

“Fleance you’ll be late” Angelicas soft voice broke into my thoughts and I looked over to her surprised, her warm eyes met mine and she smiled, looking back down at the papers before I could react. For a few more moments I stood frozen to the spot by my own thoughts before frowning to myself and setting the coffee cup in the sink.

“Bye Angelica”

She laughed.

“It’s mum, and have a nice day Fleance”

------------------------
[Madness]
------------------------

I was already getting odd looks from kids around me, as I walked through town with a cigarette hanging from my lips. From what I guessed was that in this relatively small town, most people were known and new kids were bound to be noticed. It’s not like I was bothered though, they could stare all they want, my existence would blend into nothing to them soon enough.

“You’ll have to put that out before you get in school” Glancing up my eyes came into contact with a pair of smiling brown ones, rimmed with light black eyeliner. The owner of the brown eyes was a smiling, tall girl with long blonde hair and pixie like features. I nodded mutely in answer to her words and smudged it on the ash tray on top of a bin we were passing.

“I’m Pam, I take it your the famous Fleance?” I didn’t question how she knew my name as I nodded once more to her, shoving my hands in the front pocket of my white/grey jeans. Pam laughed.

“Lesley said you were the quiet type” Lesley. That’s how she knew him; Lesley had been talking about me? Of course. I was the new kid. All this blue was making me stupid. “He also said you were English, so say something for me pretty boy” I raised an eyebrow.

“Say ‘My name is Fleance’ please?” Pam looked down while she said it, a smile pulling at her lips and her hands looped through the straps of her belt.

“My name is Fleance” I said clearly, trying to not think how much the word clearly reminded me of water. How likely it was that water was blue.

“Oh hot damn. I need to find myself a girl with that bitching accent” chuckled Pam, grinning ruefully “Got any acquaintances you could hook me up with?” she said with a wink. I blinked. Pam was overly social, and in most cases it would be bad thing, but she didn’t seem to mind my lack of response. But I did mind her constant social pestering. I shook my head in answer to her question and looked down at my jeans, completely aware of the blinding blue up above me.

I hated America.
I hated blue.
I hated talking.

Why did Angelica move me here?

“Hey, Fleance?” I looked up from my feet, suddenly coming to terms with how I had been blanking out Pam and wandering off with the fairies. “Carolyn is over there, so I’ll be with her, I’ll see you around?” The last part was a question, but she didn’t pause for an answer I wouldn’t give her anyway but bounded off in the direction of a girl with caramel skin and hair to match.

Frowning to no-one my hand inched towards my iPod that rested in my dominant pocket on the front of my right leg; I pulled it from the confines of denim and flicked it on, pushing the earphones into my ears. I knew what I wanted to hear.

Remember me when you’re the one who’s silver screen
Remember me when you’re the one who always dreamed
Remember me when everyone’s noses start to bleed
Remember me, special needs
♠ ♠ ♠
oh