Ready to Go

Bella Luna

Colors of blues, pinks, and oranges sparkled before my eyes, being playful like a kaleidoscope. I would’ve been awestruck if it weren’t for the loud roar of water passing my ears, or for the desperate need of air. The beautiful colors were fading into an eerie black and grey as for the water was disappearing. It was just a sign that I was going to be alone from here on, was it weird that I was accepting my death so fast?

My vision came and went more times than I could count. Each time was getting brighter and brighter but the silhouette of someone wasn’t getting any clearer though. I was turned onto my side just as I started to cough up the water that blocked my air way. I gasped and closed my eyes tightly, feeling a bit of pain on my forehead. I brought my fingers to my forehead and opened one eye, seeing a bit of blood. I cursed under my breath and started to sit up with some trouble.

“Whoa, whoa take it easy.” The voice said and brought me back down to the sand. “You almost die, just rest.” The voice was clearer, it belonged to a male. I just didn’t know who the male was.

“I can mark that off my bucket list.” I whispered and kept my eyes closed.

“Almost dying?”

“No, letting a small wave almost kill me.” I heard a low chuckle, who the hell was this dude? I opened my eyes, blinking repeatedly trying to adjust to the brightness. His face came into view, his hair was pointing in every direction, eyebrows knitted together yet he managed to keep a soft face. His rather puffy lips parted just a bit, and his body wet. Yeah, just stare at his body, Ivy. I brought my eyes back to his, I knew this dude.

“I got the band-aids!” A out of breath friend of mine had yelled, he stood at my head and looked down at me. “Sweet, you didn’t die.” He placed himself down and pushed the band-aids into the familiar male’s hands. “So how was Jesus, are you guys tight now?”

“I don’t know I didn’t get that far.” I laughed and held onto my head for a moment. “I think I just got rejected from the man.”

“No, you were probably sent back for a reason, now you have to figure out your reason of your second chance, Ivy. You gotta take life by the throat!” Dustin said going too far into his theory.

“You gotta stay off the drugs and my reason for this supposed second chance is getting to work.” I stated just as the familiar male put a band-aid on my forehead, making my eyes go wide.

“You’re going to go to work?” He asked while laughing and helped me to my feet.

“Yeah, I can’t afford to get fired.” I said and stared at him. “Who are you, dude?” I asked and started to dry my body off. I pulled up the shorts that was lying next to me and then pulled over the disgusting collared shirt that showed where I worked, hiding my bathing suit.

“Brendon, Brendon Urie.” He introduced with a smile.

“James, James Bond…” Dustin mocked tossing me my beat up slip-on Vans. “You don’t happen to that Brendon Urie from that one band?”

“Yeah, that one band…” Brendon laughed and looked over to him.

“Bullshit, you big o’ tease.” Dustin said and shook his head, “Hurry up, we got exactly 10 minutes!” He jumped in his spot and looked at his bare wrist; he started to jog towards the pier.

Call me crazy to believe him when he didn’t have a watch on his wrist, but ever since I met him he was always right on how much time we had left. I didn’t know how he did it and every time I questioned his ways, he would hold up a finger and shake his head once, telling me to never question his ways.

“Shit,” I mumbled and slipped on my shoes as I started to power walk towards the pier. “Dude, thank you for saving my life and it was rad to meet you.” I said as he started to walk next to me. I probably would’ve freaked out because Brendon Urie was one of the many singers I admired but my job was on the line.

“Not a problem, your friend was freaking out so I took over. But it seems that you owe something in return.” He smirked lightly.

“Fair enough, what do you got in mind?” I asked, slowing my pace down.

“A date,” He cocky answered.

“Dude, I just almost died and your mind is on getting laid?!” I sort of yelled and picked up my pace. “Oh gosh, I need to live! Not go on a date with you!” I started to run, regardless that my head felt light.

“You’ll change your mind, where do you work!?” I heard him yell.

“The pier like it wasn’t that fucking obvious!” I yelled and caught up to Dustin.

Our run for our jobs was tough on my part, the run up the stairs was a bit shaky and the thought of just being dragged into the Santa Monica pier was about to win but I made it with arms pumping above my head. We got to the medium size building and clocked ourselves in.

“You two are cutting it close, maybe you two should get here earlier so you don’t have to risk losing your jobs.” Joe our manager said from his desk.

“But Joe, I almost died out there! I saw Jesus!” I said and walked over to his desk; I stood in front of it and pointed to my forehead. “His push was that hard, he didn’t want me to die.”

Joe looked at me oddly and raised an eyebrow, “Are you guys on some kind of drug? Someone slip you something?” He asked cautiously.

“NO!” We yelled at the same time. “Dustin went for swim and I was going to just watch him, but I wasn’t paying attention to the small wave and it knocked me over and I don’t really remember the rest…” I added quickly and sighed.

“Are you telling the truth?” Joe asked being hesitant.

“Seriously, if I was lying I wouldn’t say that a small wave almost killed me, Joe.” I laughed.

“I was asking about the drugs…” Joe said and started to pull out a few papers from the drawer. “I’m only kidding, kids. Now hurry up and get to your stations before I fire you.” We walked out quickly.

“I thought you said you didn’t see Jesus.” Dustin said and smacked my arm lightly.

“He says hello Dustin, and to learn how to give someone CPR.” I joked and looked over to him. He saluted me and rushed off to his station which was one of the boardwalk games.

As for me I worked at the merry-go-round, I didn’t hate it. I really didn’t hate controlling the ride; I loved watching the little kids get excited when it was their turn to get on. I loved watching parents get on with their kids who were too young to get on by themselves, and the waves the kids would give their parents as they passed.

In no time I had the ride running and working properly. And soon the pier was starting to get pack with families, couples, friends and whatever was in-between. The vibe around this place made me always happy and always smiling. Nothing could make the feeling go away, not even the loud cries of babies or kids. Not until I spotted the familiar male with another rather familiar somebody in line, waiting like this was their choice of a wicked ride.

I dropped my head a little, letting my beach tangled, brown hair fall into my face. I kept my eyes on the ride as much as possible. I dreaded when it finished, I let the old riders off and allowed the new riders in, the two band mates getting closer to me. I did a check of all riders, making sure they were safe. I stepped off the platform and back to my spot; I pushed the button and waited.

“Hey, you remember me… I mean you should remember I saved your life this morning.” Brendon’s voice entered my eardrums.

“Oh that was this morning, dude it totally slipped my mind.” I said and looked up at him, watching the smirk grow on his lips.

“I see that your still working that band-aid like it’s the latest trend.” He said and leaned against the rail. “This is Spencer by the way, I’m sure you know him, he’s in that one band with me.”

“Yeah, I’m aware of who he is.” I said and wiggled my fingers in a hello, and got the same in return.

I frowned a bit; I hated the feeling of being in Brendon’s presence. I suppose it was because he was well known, he was ‘famous’ to those who loved their music. Not in a million years did I think the actual lead singer of Panic! At The Disco would save my life. He made me nervous; it was questionable feeling, it could be bad or good. I was unsure.

“Are you star struck?” Brendon asked waving his hand in front of my face.

“No, why, who’s here?” I asked and started to look around dramatically.

“Ha, ha very funny.” He said and rolled his eyes. “But you know why I’m here.”

“No, I actually don’t.” I raised an eyebrow and looked over to the ride.

“I saved your life and you give me a date…” He said like it was obvious.

“Don’t bother man, I’ve went up that road and came back heartbroken. Ivy isn’t the girl to date, or get in a relationship as a matter of fact. I’ve yet to know why and how she could resist the power of not wanting to go out on dates. The girl is a complete mystery to me.” Another co-worker named Quinn entered our conversation.

“She hasn’t met me.” Brendon said that cocky attitude back, he looked confident.

“Whatever man, just know you’re getting yourself into something difficult.” Quinn warned and put his hands up. “Get up; it’s time for your break.” He said and jumped over the gate, taking my place.

I walked over to the exit and was greeted by the sun at least. I smiled more and took in some of the salty air and begun to walk towards the games, hoping Dustin was on break as well. It wasn’t much longer that I was joined by the two band mates, one lingering a bit behind as the other stood determined beside me.

“May I help you?” I asked and looked over to the lead singer, narrowing my eyes a bit.

“Yes, and you know what I want.” Brendon spoke and stopped me from walking.

“Don’t you have girls at your feet; can’t you get one of them?” I asked and turned to him.

“Yes…”

I stared at him and laughed, I started to walk again and this time I wasn’t followed. I admired his work, his voice and his playing skills but the whole image thing was another questionable thing.

“Ivy, I’m not finished with you!” Brendon yelled from his spot.

I probably would’ve asked to be with the man upstairs if I knew that Brendon Urie was determined to figure out a single girl and that girl being me. I didn’t really care who he was, I wasn’t going to grow weak because he stared at me with that stupid smirk. He was just another guy that would last a few weeks and move on. I wasn’t going to be that few weeks girl or be known for being with the lead singer of Panic! At The Disco, love wasn’t for everyone. I hope he knows he’s wasting his time.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I was listening to Jason Mraz and this idea popped up in my head and I got excited to write it, a very slow beginning but this could turn into something really beautiful, if you give it a try. ;)