Status: New Story!

Glitter in the Air

Thirteen

"No. But I know you're going to make me go either way..." I sighed, slipping on my old pair of keds and standing up, motioning for Jake to lead the way to the car.

He chuckled shaking his head slightly before turning his back to me and opening the door.

“I'm not sure if I should trust you not to bolt if I go out first.” He scratched the back of his neck, unsure of himself.

I snorted, rolling my eyes at him and brushing past him, walking to the elevator and forcefully stabbing the button repeatedly, until the doors opened. I glanced over at Jake, he was eying me warily.

When the doors of the elevator closed, I stepped closer to him, leaning my head against his shoulder, him wrapping an arm around my shoulders out of reflex.

“You know I'm not angry with you right?” I asked him, causing him to raise an eyebrow and look at me questioningly.

“I'm pissed with this situation Jake, I can't be angry at you for doing your job you know?” I tried explaining to him as we stepped out of the hotel into the heat outside.

“I get it Hope, I just want you to at least give Zack a chance, and not shut him down right away, you need to have a good relationship with him since you know, you are going to be living with him soon and all...” He trailed off at the end, leaving his statement hanging in the air for me to think about.

I just nodded my head as we slipped into the car and headed towards the stupid office, wherever the hell it was. I could feel myself getting more and more anxious about this whole visit, the closer we got. The gnawing at my stomach not once ceasing from the time we left the hotel, to pulling into our spot at the office. 'Dr. Tracy Jovich' it declared in large black letters on the door.

“You okay?” Jake asked me, yet again. Causing me to robotically nod my head. Truth be told, I was far from okay. I felt like a small child again, going to meet my Dad for the first time. Scared, and nervous, after all, this is the first time I'm actually going to sit down with him and have to speak to one another.

The thought of having to talk about the past made my stomach churn and my sweaty fists clench even more. If he would have just listened to me Mom. Read on of the letters she wrote him. Maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't be as fucked up as I am today. Maybe, we could have prevented all of this shit. And maybe, I could have been happy, I could have had the childhood that most kids have. But I wasn't dealt those cards, I folded a long time ago.

I sat in one of the plastic blue chairs, swinging my feet back and forth, kicking the ground slightly, Jake to my right, as we waited for my 'father' the arrive. He was late. Surprise, surprise. It shouldn't shock me, after all, he has the 'rock-star mentality' why should he be on time to something concerning his daughter. The child he never wanted.

About five minutes later, I heard the door open, judging by the shoes, I knew it was him, though I still refused to look up and meet his eyes. I steadily gazed down at my own feet, trying to mentally prepare for what was about to go down.

“Ah Zack! You're here!” Came Jakes overly cheery voice, making me cringe.

“Yeah, sorry about that,” Zack greeted, “There was an accident on the freeway over here, there was a pretty bad jam.”

Jake nodded, “I know how that goes.” smiling at him. Before glancing at me, I avoided eye contact and stared off in a different direction, causing Jake to kneel in front of me, crouching down to my level, and causing me to look at him.

“Hey,” He spoke quietly to me, “You know this is all going to work out, it's going to be okay.” I just stared at him, taking notice of Zack watching us intently.

“Hope, look at me.” Jake demanded, my eyes flicked back to his own.

“Do you think I'd be doing this if I thought you'd be stuck with someone who doesn't give a damn about you?” I was slightly taken aback, I'd never heard Jake swear before. It sounded foreign coming from his lips. He noticed me looking at him strangely before a look of realization came over his face, before a smile shined through. Enticing my own smile to come out, we just sat there for a while, grinning at each other like fools, before I leaned forward, wrapping my arms around Jake in a tight embrace.

“That's what I thought little girl.” He spoke confidently.

Still wrapped in his embrace, I bumped my shoulder with his. Giggling a little, temporarily forgetting where and why I was here.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm baaaaack. c;