Status: New Story!

Glitter in the Air

Three

Fantastic. Jake told me I have exactly one hour to pack what I have when we got to the apartment. Douche. I thought to myself, I told him not to call the guy. Jake just doesn’t understand. He probably grew up normally, well, as normally as a guy with as much money as his family had can. I’ve seen the pictures on his desk back at his office over and over again, it looks to me as if his family has more money than they know what to do with. So I know that he has no idea as to what this life is like. The only thing he knows about it is what he’s seen from the outside. He’s never had to suffer through the shit any of us “children of abuse” have. I suppose I’m just ranting now.

I was fuming as I threw all of my clothes into my suitcase, not caring if they got wrinkled or not. I didn’t have much, all of my clothes together would probably only fill the suitcase partially. I was only going to take what’s mine, they can throw away all of my mothers shit for all I care. There’s nothing here of value, she’s sold it all. I finished throwing in all of my clothes quickly, grabbing my ihome and setting it on top of my clothes in the suitcase, before picking up the smaller bag containing my makeup and jewelry and putting that in my suitcase as well. I then proceeded to zip up my suitcase and roll it out into the small hallway, before going back into my room, grabbing my iPod and stuffing it into my pocket. Glancing around the room that’s been my sanctuary for the past few years I couldn’t help but feel a little sad, leaving it behind. I was about to walk out of the room before I remembered something.

Getting down on all fours I peeked underneath my bed. Reaching out and grabbing the neck of the old guitar I pulled it out, blowing on it and sending all the dust flying. I ran my hand up the old strings, smiling to myself wryly. My Mom said he’d left it behind when he’d left her, though it was one of his favorites. At one point I had started to learn how to play. She’d wanted to sell it when she started the drugs, but I took it and it’s been under my bed since. I wasn’t sure why I had taken it, I just felt this need to have it, I couldn’t explain it, and I wasn’t going to leave it here, I was going to bring it with me and see if he can remember it.

“Hope! We need to get going now! We have a flight to catch. Are you done?” Jake yelled from the kitchen, he said he wasn’t comfortable being in the living room now, since that’s where Mom died. I don’t understand why, it’s not like her body’s still in there, the people took it with them when they left. Jake had asked me what I wanted to do about funeral arrangements and what not, but I told him that I don’t care, she hasn’t been my mother in a long time, and I know she already has a plot in the cemetery, so I told him to let the people know to just bury her. I want nothing to do with that. Mumbling obscenities at myself I grabbed my stuff and walked out the door, Jake holding it open for me.

I ride to the airport was quiet, neither one of us speaking, which was fine by me. I had nothing to say, and Jake probably didn’t know what to say. Plus he knew that I was still upset that he called my dad sperm donor. I didn’t want to go to California. Though, I’d love to see the look on his face when he finds out that I really am indeed his kid. I’ve seen pictures of the guy, and the similarities between us are apparent, even I can’t deny that, as much as I’d like to. We have the same dark hair, and the same pale skin. But I think the most obvious thing is our eyes, they’re the exact same shade of green, I’ve also heard that we have the same attitude.

“Hope.” Jake said to me, I must’ve zoned out, we’re sitting in the boarding area and our plane number’s being called. I don’t even remember going through security or anything. I stood up and grabbed my carry-on trailing behind Jake, who had both of our tickets in hand. When we reached where the tickets were being scanned, the flight attendant smiled at him brightly, batting her eyelashes. I rolled my eyes, it’s not that Jake isn’t attractive, he just isn’t my type. He has chocolate colored hair, and deep blue eyes that you could read like an open book. His emotions were always right there on the table. He was about average height, and he had some muscles, but they weren’t over the top apparent. I shifted my feet, getting impatient, I was never one to wait in lines, especially right now. I just wanted to sit down with my iPod and block the world out, even if it was for a little while. Looking down I picked at the tape covered the top of all of my fingers. The last man, I think his name was Greg, had gotten angry with me and proceeded to rip out all of my fingernails. Sounds like an awesome man doesn’t he? Mom thought so, she called him back the next day. And those were just the beginning of the injuries.

We finally got to our seats and I plopped down in the one next to the window, jammed my earphones in, and closed my eyes, allowing sleep to overtake me.

* * *

“Hey, wake up hun, we’re about to land.” I heard someone murmur, shaking me gently. I cracked open one of my eyes, looking up at him before opening the other one, sitting up and glancing out the window, we were in fact descending. I was surprised I heard him considering I was listening to my iPod when I fell asleep. Looking around I noticed it sitting on the little tray in front of me, glancing down I noticed I had been covered with a blanket. Jake must’ve taken out my headphones and covered me up when I fell asleep, I had to admit, sometimes I didn’t like the guy but he’s always taken care of me, even when I was acting like a brat. He was the only solid thing I could count on in my life, since he was assigned to my case almost nine years ago, and I really did appreciate all he’s done for me. I grabbed my iPod off the little tray, stuffing it back into my pocket, feeling the plane hit the runway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey there again! Two days in a row! Woooo! This chapter goes out to Baby.Blue.Eyes for commenting again. She is fabulous. I wrote this chapter for you all during school today since I had nothing to do. LOL. I've got the next two done as well, so if you'd like for me to post them you gotta comment. (:
Love you all!
Carly.(: