Status: One Shot Complete

I Guess We Never Really Moved On

I Guess We Never Really Moved On

“Cass, I don’t know if I can do this.” Ivory sat across the small table on the tour bus from her best friend Cassadee Pope, lead singer of Hey Monday. They currently were on tour, first day to be exact. Ivory was the band’s merch girl. She had been offered the position considering she was best friends with all of them. She loved touring and was excited to be back on the road again. However, she felt the exact opposite right now after learning the rest of the tour’s line-up.

“Ivory, it’ll be fine. Trust me. It’s been over a year now; I thought you were over him?”

“Cass,” Ivory rose her head and looked at her friend like she was crazy, “you never get over the first guy who stole your heart.” She sighed and looked down at her hands. “Even if they broke it and never gave it back.”

“Oh, Ive. It’ll be fine, I promise. You’ll have all of us and the other bands; you’ll barely see him. And remember, you don’t have to talk to him if you don’t want to.”

Ivory nodded her head and gave her best friend a hug. She believed her, but she still had that gut feeling that something was going to happen. She was going to be on tour for a month and a half with her ex-boyfriend whom she was with for over 2 ½ years. How could something not happen?
______________________________________________________________
Ivory stood up, zipped up her coat, and walked to the front of the bus. Two reasons she did not want to go outside. 1.) It was freezing cold and snowing out. She was not used to this weather. She’s a Florida girl, sun and warmth, not snow and freezing temperatures. And 2.) The guy she was still in love with, even though he broke her heart, would be just outside the venue. She was finally going to have to face him after more than a year. After they broke up, she moved away and hasn’t talked to him since. She ignored all his calls and texts, and eventually he stopped trying. No matter how much she was mad at him, she still loved him regardless. However, she was not ready to see him again and she knew those feelings would probably resurface the moment she saw him.

Ivory took a deep breath and opened the bus door. ‘So far, so good.’ she thought as she stepped outside. No sign of anyone out back of the venue, only the occasional crew member or two. She hugged her jacked closer to her body as the cold wind blew. Her nerves mixed with the cold made her teeth chatter.

She took another deep breath as she pulled open the back door to the venue. When she walked in, she noticed Elliott and Jersey, the drummer and bassist of the band, standing over by the bar. She breathed a sigh of relief knowing that she had someone familiar around.

She made her way over there and greeted them both with a hug.

“You finally decided to wake up, huh?” Elliott joked, playfully shoving her arm.

“I wish I hadn’t.” She sighed, taking off her coat and taking a quick glance around the venue. Still no sign of him or his bandmates. They must not have arrived yet.

“Yeah, Cass told us. I wish we would’ve known they were going to be opening up before now.” Jersey gave her a sympathetic smile.

“I guess I had to face him sometime.” It came off more as a question than a statement. Ivory was trying to assure herself that everything would be alright.

“Well, I guess that time is now.” Elliott pointed behind her and she turned around to see the venue door opened, letting light in. A group of guys were walking in and she noticed them right away. Her breath caught in her throat as he finally walked in. He looked the same, just a little buffer and with longer hair. It had only been a year, but he looked better than ever. Yeah, those feelings had definitely surfaced again.

Crap. He saw her. He wore the same stunned and breathless look that Ivory had on her face. He stopped dead in his tracks and dropped the box that he was carrying. His bandmates noticed and followed his gaze. When they saw Ivory, they were shocked as well. Ivory had grown close to those guys while she was dating him, but after the break-up, she broke off contact with anyone associated with him.

Suddenly growing extremely nervous and self-conscious, Ivory ran out the front door of the venue and outside. She continued to run down the road, receiving stares from passersby, until she completely broke down near a bench in the park. She pulled her knees to her chest and buried her face in them while she cried. The cold wind blew across her face as a light snow began to fall. Being distracted by everything and in such a hurry, she had forgotten her jacket. She shook, but the pain from the cold wasn’t as horrible as the pain she felt as all the memories flooded back to her.

Ivory made her way through the crowd of people in Cassadee’s living room, a drink in her hand and her eyes searching for her boyfriend. Having such a small figure, it was hard to get around all the drunk people, but she eventually pushed her way to the top of the stairs where she could see the entire living room. She scanned the top of everyone’s heads, but didn’t see her boyfriend.

She sighed and took a sip of her drink, trying to figure out where he could be, when she heard laughter coming from a bedroom down the hall. Ivory made her way to the room, prepared to kick whoever was in there out. The rule was no one upstairs. She was ready to bust them when she opened the door and stopped dead in her tracks.

“Chris?” Her voice cracked as tears came to her eyes. The boy on the bed pushed the half naked girl off of him and sat up, his eyes wide with horror.

“Ivory, this-this isn’t what it looks like!”

“Bullshit! It’s over!” And with that, Ivory slammed the door closed and ran back downstairs to the living room where she bumped into Cassadee.

“Ivory, what’s wrong?” Although slightly buzzed, Cassadee could still tell something was wrong considering tears were streaming down her best friend’s face.

Her question was answered once she saw Chris coming down the stairs with a girl following close behind, trying to button up her blouse.

Cassadee, shocked and speechless, pulled Ivory close and they made their way to Ivory’s car and sped away.


A few tears escaped as Ivory sat there recalling the past. She quickly wiped them away and shook her head. She wanted more than anything to forget that horrible night.

“Ivory!”

She turned her head as she heard her name being called. Once she saw it was Chris running towards her, she stood up and started to walk away.

“Ivory, wait! Please!” Ivory started to pick up her pace as his voice got closer, but Chris was too fast and caught up to her. He grabbed her elbow, stopping her from going any further.

Ivory sighed, giving up, knowing she had no other choice but to face him.

“What, Chris? What do you want?” She turned around, hugging her arms close to her body.

“I, um,” Chris stood there nervously scratching the back of his neck. He had so much to say, but didn’t know how to start. The fact that he’s waited for this moment for so long and Ivory was sending him death glares didn’t help his anxiety much either. “I’ve waited over a year and a half to tell you I’m sorry.”

“You have nothing to be sorry about.” Ivory started walking away, suddenly very annoyed.

“Yes, I do.” Chris caught up to her again, grabbing her elbow and turning her to face him. “I messed up big time. That night, I was drunk and made a huge mistake. I’m not denying that, but I regret it so much. I hate that I hurt you and I hate that I screwed up everything we had.“ By this point, Ivory was in tears again. Thinking about that night again and having Chris stand in front of her and apologize made her an emotional wreck. She was confused as to how to feel about Chris’s apology. She was still in love with him, but was still upset about what he did 1 ½ years ago. She wanted to forgive him, but there was still a part of her keeping herself from getting reattached. “I still love you and I can understand if you don’t feel the same back, but I can’t stand not having you in my life. You mean too much to me. Can we at least be friends?” Chris sounded desperate and wasn’t afraid to admit that. The past year and a half of his life was miserable without the love of his life next to him. Whether or not she would want to get back together with him, Chris needed Ivory back in his life.

Ivory could honestly say she was more confused than ever. But for once in her life, she was going to follow her heart instead of her head.

“You still love me?” Ivory managed to choke out behind all those tears.

Chris was surprised by her response. He took her hands and led her back to the bench. “Of course! I’ve been head over heels in love with you since the day I met you and I’ve never stopped loving you. It’s impossible!”

“I still love you, too.” Ivory smiled as Chris wiped away her tears with his hand.

“You don’t hate me for what I did?”

“I used to, but I love you too much that I just want to forget about it all.”

“Then, that’s what we’ll do.”

“You’ll promise to never cheat again?”

Chris took her hands in his and looked her straight in the eyes, “I swear. I could never hurt you again; I don’t want to.” Ivory nodded, accepting his answer, and smiled. “So, are you willing to take this sorry loser back?” This caused Ivory to chuckle and shake her head again as the smile on Chris’s face grew larger. He placed his hand on the side of Ivory’s face and pulled her in for a passionate kiss, the best one they’ve ever shared.