tales of the great divide

1/1

Once upon a time, the Moon and the Sun stood in the same sky, orbiting around each other, pushing and pulling together, overlapping. Day and night were intertwined, and the world knew peace. The best of each was brought forth on the horizon. Little children traced stars with the palms of their hands and a glow the color of liquid gold swept into every crevice of the sky. Wolves twirled around each other, spitting out melodies echoed by the whispered call of the puma, doing its own intricate dance through the fields unseen.

Harmony hummed in every breath of air, every drop of water, ever blade of grass. The world knew balance.

And then one day, Gravity came. A force of unthinkable strength, it pushed us down, pushed us apart, like it pushed apart the Sun and the Moon, so that each would never inhabit the same sky. The invisible tendrils weaving together the day and the night snapped under its weight and elders with sunken eyes could do little but pass on the stories. But even the words of the most trusted seraphim whispering into air and ears could not convince the world, and the story of love and unity became a legend, a fairy tale soon faded into the wind that whipped at the faces of mankind as they marched into battle.

Eons passed, and new generations were born. Ones who knew nothing but division, fractions. Fighting and mistrust, secrets and lies and an untouchable sorrow, inexplicable. The Sun and the Moon ached to see the Earth, their dearest thing destroying itself, loosing sight of the beauty of love and hope and the innocence of magic and time. And so they fought Gravity, they fought, their hope was their sword and their love was their shield. A great battle ensued. But they were no match for Gravity, and when his force crashed down on the Sun and its light started to dim, the Moon cried for its lover. The tears turned to shooting stars, and all the people on the Earth stopped to wish on the crystal sorrows of the Moon, that the Sun would come back to life.

Gravity’s frozen heart thawed at the sight, and released its hold. Restored life to the Sun, and agreed to allow the lovers to abide again, but only once every thousand years, when they both would pass over each other, longing and loving, needing and having. The shadows that had swallowed the hearts of mankind receded, and whilst these horrors still existed, were still to be fought, they were also given kindness, hope, and above all else, they were finally returned the ability to love.