Just a Taste

Muddled Thoughts

"Kyle Hutchinson, to the front office, please."

Eight years later, he voice drones over the intercom once again, making some of the teens snap awake and some look up, then back to their work. The same as every day, Kyle thinks to himself with a sigh.

This time, though, there's no question as to why he's being called down to the office, nor will it be such a traumatic experience. He's being picked up for a doctor's appointment. At least, that's what the school's ledger will say. In reality, Kyle and his best friend, Jordan White, are going to go play video games.

The secretary eyes the boys suspiciously, but the note is sincere enough. Kyle's aunt's handwriting has become very easy to forge over the years. See, after the tragic incident in his childhood, he jumped from foster home to foster home for a year until finally they were able to get ahold of some relatives. His Aunt Cindy and Uncle Andrew had taken him in when they heard what happened.

The only problem being that they happen to be very avid travelers. They couldn't be bothered to bring a nine year old around with them all the time, as much as they loved their nephew; it wouldn't be good for him, either. The only proper solution was for them to leave him at home. Of course, they hired a sort of nanny, but once he turned about fifteen they decided that he was probably responsible enough to be left on his own.

Fortunately for Kyle, they live pretty far away from his hometown. He could escape the memories, the rumours, the hatred, the suspicion, the pity, the doubt. He could start fresh, start anew. Kyle Hutchinson, though very young when he left home, could start his life anew without all the prejudice he'd had to face. Such a pity for one so young to go through so much, but that's the way the human race conducts itself; fear and idiocy.

However, time passed and the incident was never mentioned. Things seemed to be returning to normal... on the outside, that is. On the inside, things started to get strange for Kyle the older he got. He began to get these strange feelings, these urges he couldn't explain. Now, one may say "oh, it's just puberty," but there's one tiny problem with that deduction.

Puberty doesn't make a boy want to eat his best friend.

Yes, Kyle has this very nasty problem, you see. He has the urge to eat human flesh. Of course, he could live without it, but the cravings are fierce. It's as if he's going through withdrawals for a rather addictive drug, but it can't be addiction. The pain started before he'd even had a taste of that succulent flesh.

In fact, the pain started only two weeks before this very moment. It's rather intense, but he has to hide it. He doesn't know what it is, but he's damn sure that it's not normal in the slightest. He knows that this is a secret that's definitely better kept. Especially from Jordan.

At this point, Kyle doesn't know what it is that he truly craves. He only knows that he needs something, and he's been starting to get these... strange fantasies, regarding his best friend. Fantasies about sinking his pointed teeth into Jordan's flesh, slowly ripping off morsel after morsel and savouring it as he chews. It makes his body tingle in a way he can't possibly describe. He wants it, but he knows he can't have it and he knows it's absolutely absurd to want it in the first place. Besides, he doesn't even have any pointed teeth or anything like that.

Not yet, at least. But we're getting to that. We're getting to it all.

Kyle is snapped out of his thoughts, as he's been thinking essentially what you've been reading, by his friend's hand on his shoulder. "You feelin' okay, buddy?" Jordan asks softly, and Kyle nods his head weakly.

"Yeah... Let's just go, okay? I think this doctor's appointment is long overdue..."

As they leave the school building and get into Jordan's truck, our young protagonist convinces his best friend that he was merely acting pained. He's just a good actor, good enough that he can get pale and his eyes can glass over in an almost animalistic pain, so he can seem to lose himself completely in his muddled thoughts. He's a good liar, a good pretender.

He just doesn't yet know how right that statement truly is.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally starting this back up mostly because daddy told me to...! Hope you enjoyed!
~Evia