When the Walls Come Crashing Down

Baby Shower

Faith sat in the bathtub of the master bath surrounded by massive white bubbles. There was just something relaxing about taking a bubble bath when you were pregnant. Different than when you’re not pregnant and Faith just couldn’t put her finger on it but it’s something she liked to do at least once a week. All of her worries about the baby’s paternity would disappear whenever she took just an hour to soak in the warm water with the scent of lilac surrounding her.

Her peaceful time was interrupted this particular evening by a quick tapping on the door. She opened her eyes, confused because Joe was supposed to still be at work and her mother and Lizzy had gone shopping.

“Who is it?” she called, her eyebrows scrunching together.

“It’s me!” Danielle said excitedly and Faith smiled, shaking her head. There were times like these when she wished she hadn’t given Dani a key to the house.

“Come on in,” she said with a laugh. Dani flung the door open wide and giggled when she saw Faith lying in the bathtub the only parts of her body not covered were her face, hands, and very pregnant stomach.

“Well, hello,” Dani said, a huge smile on her face.

“And to what do I owe this pleasure?” Faith asked, her eyes following Dani as she lowered the toilet lid and sat down on it, placing her hands on her lap, a smile never leaving her face.

“What, I can’t visit my best friend?” Dani asked.

“Of course you can! But you just seem... awfully cheery. It’s kind of creeping me out,” she said, letting out a laugh.

“I creep you out?” she asked, feigning shock.

“No, just your smile,” Faith said, sticking her tongue out.

“Well listen, I was wondering if you wanted to go to lunch or something? I mean we’ve only got a matter of days before you pop my little niece or nephew out and then you’ll be too preoccupied with baby things whilst my stomach grows with my own baby and then before you know it I’ll have popped out my own baby and it will be like a vicious circle and two or three years before we can go to lunch just the two of us without worrying about the kids,” Dani said in one breath while Faith stared at her wide eyed trying to figure out what she just said.

“Um... what?” Faith asked, shaking her head trying to sort out all the jumble.

“Do you want to go to lunch?” Dani asked, letting out a laugh at Faith’s confused expression.

“Oh yeah, sure,” Faith said with a smile. “Just give me a few minutes to dry off, get dressed, and do my hair.”

“Yeah, no problem. Do you need some help getting out?” Dani asked, gesturing towards the tub.

“Yeah, just a little. Could you grab my robe? It’s on the hook there,” she said, pointing to the back of the door.

“Of course,” Dani said, reaching over and grabbing it. She draped it over her arm and held a hand out for Faith to grab. Faith grabbed onto Dani’s hand and lifted herself up. Dani handed her the towel and Faith wrapped herself up, holding onto Dani’s hand again as she stepped out of the tub.

“Thanks,” Faith said, sliding her feet into her slippers and opening the door.

“Anytime. Can I help you pick out an outfit?”

“Sure,” Faith said, leading the way to the bedroom.

“Perfect,” Dani said, walking straight over to the closet. “Why don’t you do your hair while I pick something out.”

“I don’t know what to do with it,” Faith said, walking over to the boudoir and looking in the mirror, lifting her hand to her wet hair.

“Just straighten it. I love your hair straight,” Dani said.

“You do?”

“Absolutely,” Dani said, turning to smile at her.

“Well alright then,” Faith said, pulling out the stool and sitting on it as she plugged in the straightener.

“Hm,” Dani mused as she pushed hanger by hanger out of the way. “We really need to go shopping sometime after you give birth.”

“Oh sure, as long as the baby comes too,” Faith said, looking at Dani through the mirror.

“Oh but of course. He or she will have to make sure Mommy looks pretty,” Dani said, reaching for a hanger and pulling it out. “I think this one is perfect!”

“Isn’t that a bit fancy for lunch?” Faith asked, turning to look at it.

“My dear you have no idea where I’m taking you so just say ‘Yes Dani that looks perfect!’,” Dani said, a huge smile on her face.

“Yes Dani, that looks perfect,” Faith said, mimicking Dani and smiling back at her.

“I thought so!” Dani said, laying it on the bed. “How’s your hair coming? You need some help?”

“No, I’m just about finished.”

“Perfect. You continue here and I’ll just wait downstairs,” Dani said, heading out the door.

“Alright,” she said, setting the straightener down and looking at herself in the mirror.

She added just the slightest touch of makeup to make her face bright. when she was satisfied she stood up and started walking towards the bed, stopping when she thought she heard Dani talking to someone downstairs. Shaking her head she decided it was just the TV and slid her robe off, pulling the dress Dani had picked out over her head. She slid on a pair of shoes, checked herself one more time in the mirror, her hands sliding to her swollen belly. A smile appeared on her face and after a moment she finally went downstairs.

“Okay, I’m ready,” she said, grabbing her purse and walking into the living room to get Dani. She wasn’t there. “Dani? Dani, where are you?”

When no answer came Faith scrunched her eyebrows together in confusion. She walked through the living room to the dining room which was empty and then continued to the kitchen. No Dani in sight.

“Where the hell is she?” Faith muttered to herself. Sighing she pressed her lips together and thought. She decided she should check the backyard. Dani was known for her love of gardens and she could have gotten impatient waiting for Faith. Faith slid open the backdoor and stepped out onto the deck.

“Surprise!” everyone shouted. Faith’s hand rose to cover her mouth as she looked down at her family and friends and co-workers who were scattered about her backyard.

“Oh my goodness,” Faith said as her mother and sister came up to her.

“Well you needed a baby shower at some point,” Lizzy said, a smile on her face. “It was Dani’s idea to have it be a surprise.”

“You little sneak,” Faith cried, wrapping her arms around Dani as Dani let out a laugh.

“I couldn’t help myself.”

“How did you do it?” Faith asked. “There are virtually no cars in the street.”

“I brought a few people over with me actually,” Dani said, a guilty smile on her face. I just led them into the backyard before going up to see you.

“Mom and I went to Dani’s and Kevin let me borrow his car so I could get some people as well,” Lizzy said.

“And your mother and I brought some,” Denise said, hugging her daughter-in-law.

“And the rest car-pooled,” said Meg.

“Thank you all, so much. This is amazing,” Faith said, pulling them all in for a hug.

“You’re so very welcome,” Dani said. “Can we have fun now?”

“Yes, yes, yes,” Faith said, clapping her hands together and heading down the stairs to the lawn.

****

“Thank you so much for that. I had so much fun,” Faith said as she lowered herself into the chair and raised her feet to the ottoman.

“You are very welcome,” her mother said, kissing the top of her head before sitting on the couch.

“There was no way we could have let you go without a shower,” Dani said, taking a seat as well. Denise and Lizzy joined them and together they just took some time to relax after the eventual afternoon.

Faith thought of all of the wonderful gifts she had gotten from her friends and family. The gender neutral colors were just what she was hoping for since the sex of the baby wouldn’t be found out until the baby was born. She couldn’t wait to bring everything upstairs and set them up in the nursery.

“I’m home!” Joe called, closing the door behind him.

“We’re in the living room,” Faith called back, turning to look at Joe as he walked into the room. He smiled at the rest of the women of his family and walked over to Faith, bending down to give her a kiss.

“How was the party?” he asked and Faith looked at him in surprise.

“You knew?”

“Of course I did,” he said, sitting on the arm of the chair, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

“Well, I’m surprised you were able to keep it a secret,” she said, causing the others to laugh.

“Hey now,” Joe said in a semi upset tone.

“How was work?” Faith asked and Joe hesitated before answering.

“Fine,” he said and Faith scrunched her eyebrows together.

“Did something happen?” she asked.

“Um... yeah, but I’ll tell you later,” Joe answered. “Do you ladies need help with anything?”

“Yes, actually,” Dani said. “I guess that’s our que to start cleaning up.”

“I’ll bring the gifts upstairs,” Joe said, standing up. Faith started to stand but Joe held her shoulders down, making her stay on the chair. “You stay here and rest.”

****

“This has got to be, the cutest baby outfit, I have ever seen,” Joe said, holding up a little yellow onesie with a monkey face on it.

“All of them are the cutest you’ve ever seen,” Faith said, sticking her tongue out at him as she folded some more and put them in a drawer.

“This is true,” he said, handing her the one he was holding.

“So um.... can I hear about what happened at work now?” Faith asked, sitting down in the rocking chair that sat in the corner.

“Uh,” Joe sighed, letting out a breath of air. “Yeah, I guess.”

“Alright,” she said, settling back int he chair. Joe grabbed the footstool and pulled it over so he was sitting on it right in front of Faith. He looked down at his hands which were resting over his lap, his fingertips touching. Faith sat in silence, patiently waiting for him to talk though she had butterflies rising in her stomach.

“Dave called me into his office this morning,” he started and Faith’s eyes widened. “oh no, it’s nothing bad. At least I don’t think is it... I don’t know how you’ll feel though...”

“Just get on with it!” she said, just wanting to know what he was going on about. He cleared his throat and started bouncing his feet.

“Well he has this big assignment for me,” he said. “You know that band Black Rose?”

“Yeah, Lizzy loves them,” she said, nodding her head.

“They’re going on a world tour this summer and they came to the company looking for a photographer. Dave chose me. He wants me to tour with this band, be their photographer. It’s going to be the highest paying assignment we’ve had to date,” he said, a huge smile on his face. Faith brought her hands to her face and laughed.

“Oh my God! That’s amazing!” she said, happily. “When is the tour?”

Joe’s smile faded and his shoulders hunched in. He avoided looking at Faith and didn’t talk.

“Joe... when’s the tour?” she asked again, her tone more serious now.

“It starts next month,” he said quietly. “And it ends in November.”

“You said no, of course,” she said. Joe got quiet again and she didn’t like the hesitation. “You said yes?”

“I didn’t say anything,” he answered. “I told him I’d need to think about it. He knows about our situation and would understand if I said I couldn’t do it but Faith, this would be so good for us. This is the biggest assignment he’s ever given me and it would be great for my career. I’d get so much out of it.”

“But what about the baby?”

“Which might not even be mine,” he said and Faith stood up.

“I thought you wanted this baby no matter what!” she said angrily.

“You know I do, Faith! But if I go on this tour I could use this money to take care of you and the baby, mine or not. And it will give Nick a chance to be a father while he or she is still little.”

Faith stood silently in front of Joe. His eyes didn’t move away from her. Her lips were drawn in a thin line but slowly her muscles started to relax and Joe let out a deep breath.

“It really would be an amazing opportunity for your career,” she said and he stepped closer to her.

“It really would. It would put me at the top of the ladder at the company. Well... alongside my partner for the job,” he said, preparing his answer to her coming question.

“He assigned you a partner too?” she asked and Joe nodded his head. “Who?”

“He wants Charlotte to go with me,” he said and winced when crossed her arms.

“Have you even talked to her since January?” she asked cooly.

“This morning actually. We ran into each other in the hallway before Dave found me. Literally, ran into each other. All we said was sorry and before we could say anything more Dave interrupted and pulled me aside.”

“Well,” she said, biting her lip. “I can’t decide for you. It’s your job and it’s ultimately up to you. When do you need to tell him?”

“By Friday,” he said, walking even closer to her, wrapping his arms around her waist. “You know I don’t want to leave you. This opportunity came at the wrong time but... I think I’m going to take it. It will be so good for us.”

“I know... I just don’t want you to go,” she said quietly, leaning her head towards his so their foreheads touched.

“I’ll talk to you every day. No matter what,” he said, closing his eyes. “But let’s not worry about it right now, okay? We have a month before I’d leave. Let’s stop doing this for the night and just go to bed.”

“Alright,” she said, nodding her head and closing her eyes too. “I love you,” she whispered.

“I love you, too,” he said, opening his eyes and giving her a kiss.

Faith linked her fingers with his and together they walked into the hallway. She reached into the nursery to shut the light off. As she closed the door behind them she closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, absorbing the information Joe had just given her. With him gone, things would be so much more stressful for her and with the discovery of who the father was looming ever closer, she was beginning to worry.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyyyyy Chapter 3!!! Woo-hoo!!!
The birth of the baby is REALLY CLOSE!!
Either the next chapter or the one after, I'm not even sure at this point but I'll let you know soon enough. HOPEFULLY sometime next week but if not then it won't be until anytime after July 10th because I'm going to be in Europe from July 1-9 so.... yeah kinda won't be writing anything haha.
Let me know what you think of this?!? Did you like the surprise baby shower?? And what do you think the baby is going be, boy or girl?