When the Walls Come Crashing Down

Cherish the Moment

The morning before he and Charlotte were supposed to leave for the tour, Joe woke up an hour before Faith’s alarm was set to go off. He crept across the room and silently lifted Bryson out of his bassinet, grabbed his diaper bag, and brought him into Lizzy’s old room, which was soon to be Nick’s room. Bryson opened his eyes and yawned, kicking his legs when he recognized Joe’s face. Joe smiled and lay him down on the floor, grabbing a new diaper from the bag and changing him.

“Hey Bryson,” he whispered, smiling down at him as he put a pair of socks on his little feet. “You’re such a good boy.”

“Gahhh,” Bryson babbled and Joe let out a laugh.

“I’m gonna miss you buddy,” Joe said, picking him up and holding him close to his chest.

He stayed quiet and just listened to Bryson breathe in and out. He could feel Bryson’s little fingers trying to grab onto his shirt. Joe closed his eyes and turned his head so his lips brushed the side of Bryson’s head. He inhaled and took in that beautiful scent that all babies seem to have.

“Let’s go make breakfast for Mommy,” Joe whispered, standing up and carrying Bryson downstairs.

He grabbed the carrier and brought it into the kitchen, setting it on the counter. He strapped Bryson into it and started grabbing ingredients to make French toast. Joe wanted to be as quiet as possible so he wouldn’t wake Faith up, or Meg and Lizzy for that matter. French toast was always Faith’s favorite so he settled on that. He grabbed the eggs and turned to face Bryson and juggled them in his hands. Bryson smiled wide and let out a laugh causing Joe to smile and lose his concentration, dropping an egg on the floor where it cracked open and spilled everywhere.

“Shit!” Joe said, his eyes widening as he looked toward Bryson. “Pretend you didn’t hear that,” he whispered.

Joe grabbed some paper towels and a wet sponge to clean up the mess on the floor. Once that was all set he focused on making the absolute perfect French toast. He wanted everything today to be perfect. Not for him, but for Faith. In between dipping the bread in the egg mixture and flipping the ones being cooked he would give Bryson a few sips from his bottle. It wasn’t until he started cooking the bacon that he heard footsteps above him.

“Somebody’s up,” he said quietly to Bryson who babbled causing Joe to smile again.

“Something smells good,” Faith mumbled, rubbing her eyes as she walked into the kitchen. “Hi baby,” she said, kissing the top of Bryson’s head.

“Hi baby,” Joe said, walking over to stand behind Faith. He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her neck.

“Did you make this for me?” she asked, turning around in his arms and resting her hands on his chest.

“Well some of it’s for me,” he said in a teasing voice before leaning forward and capturing her lips in his.

“Well it smells absolutely delicious,” she said, reaching up and kissing him back.

“Food!” Lizzy cried, slamming open the basement door and running to the kitchen, sliding to a stop in her socks. Bryson started crying and she dropped the piece of bacon she grabbed and turned to him.

“Thanks, Lizzy,” Joe groaned, shaking his head.

“Sorry bro,” she said, walking over to the carrier and gently lifting Bryson out. “Auntie’s sowwie Bry-Bry,” she said, holding him to her chest and bouncing her body up and down.

“Excuse me, Bry-Bry?” Faith asked, furrowing her eyebrows as she watched her sister calm her son.

“That’s my nickname for little chubby cheeks here.”

“No, absolutely not,” Faith said with a laugh.

“I’ve gotta call him something!” she exclaimed. “I’m the cool aunt. Cool aunts give awesome nicknames.”

“Well I think Danielle might fight you on that,” said Joe. “And you’re already calling him chubby cheeks.”

“That’s not a nickname, that’s a fact,” she said, sticking her tongue out.

“Give me my son before he becomes emotionally damaged by you,” Faith said rolling her eyes and holding her arms out for Bryson.

“Fine,” Lizzy said with a sigh, handing him over. “So do I get some of this?” she asked, picking up the piece of bacon she was holding before and taking a bite out of it.

“Not really,” Joe said, shoving her away with his hip.

“Alright I get it, you want alone time,” she said in a deep voice. “I’m going to Dunkin Donuts.”

“Oh, bring me a iced mocha latte!” Faith said excitedly.

“No way sister, you get home cooked breakfast. However, Mom doesn’t so I’m going to wake her and bring her with me,” she said, running up the stairs.

“Well fine then,” Faith said with a pout. “Auntie’s a meanie,” she whispered in Bryson’s ear.

“Who wants a Dunkin Donuts latte when you can have freshly brewed Folgers made by your darling boyfriend?” Joe asked, holding a steaming mug out to her.

“Thank you honey,” she said with a smile, laying Bryson back down in the carrier before taking the mug from Joe. “So when can we eat?”

“Right now!” he said, grabbing some plates and loading them up before bringing them over to the table.

“Thank you,” Faith said, grabbing the syrup and pouring some over her French toast. “You know you really didn’t have to do this.”

“Yes I did,” he said defiantly, taking the syrup from her. “It’s the last time I get to do it for three months so deal with it woman.”

“Daddy’s feisty,” Faith said in a baby voice to Bryson. Her eyes widening when she realized what she said. “I’m sorry. I… I don’t know if you want to be referred to as that… yet…” she said to see Joe had a blank look on his face. “Joe?”

“That… was the best thing I could have ever heard,” he said honestly. “But… it did feel a little weird. I mean… I know if we get married…”

When we get married,” Faith corrected.

“When we get married… I will be his stepfather and he can call me whatever he wants but right now… it sounds like a blessing and a curse all at the same time. Because no matter how much I wish for it to be true I know it isn’t.”

“Honey I don’t think it will matter to him. We’ll get married, at least I’m hoping we will, before he even talks. He won’t think it’s odd that he has two fathers until he’s at least eight.”

“I know but… it’s just weird to me. Put yourself in my shoes. How would you feel?”

“I see what you mean,” she said, putting her fork down. “I just wish this all didn’t have to be so complicated. I wish Nick didn’t have to move in here while you and Charlotte are gone. It’s going to be incredibly awkward and uncomfortable… for me at least. Especially with Lizzy around for a few more weeks…”

“I heard that,” Lizzy said, walking into the kitchen and heading down to the basement to get dressed.

“I only speak the truth!” Faith called after her before turning back to Joe.

“It’s going to be hard for me too,” Joe said, shrugging his shoulders. “But this is what has to happen. It will be good for Bryson and for Nick. It will be good for you too, Faith.”

“I hope so,” she said, looking at Bryson.

“Now hurry up and eat. I’ve got a full day planned,” Joe said with a smile, taking another bit of bacon.

****

“So your full day you have planned is just for us to be couch potatoes in our pajamas all day long?” Faith asked as Joe put a second movie into the DVD player.

“Um yes,” Joe said, turning to scoff at her. “Did you honestly expect me to rush around taking you here and there?”

“Kind of,” she said, shrugging her shoulders.

“My last day home with my girlfriend and she thinks I want to go everywhere with her,” he said rolling his eyes as he walked back over to the couch. She lay down and rested her head on his lap. He secured his arm around her hip and skipped through the previews.

“Hey!”

“Not that I don’t want to go everywhere with you,” he said, pushing some of her hair behind her ear. “Because I do. I thought you’d like spending the day with me cuddled on the couch more though.”

“I do like it,” she said, sitting up and turning her body towards his. “I was just surprised. That’s all.”

“Good,” he said smiling, leaning down and kissing her lips, savoring the moment.

These are the things he was going to miss while gone for three months: Faith. Bryson. Kissing Faith. Talking to Faith. Hugging Faith. Holding Bryson. Making Faith laugh. Making Bryson babble. Rocking Bryson to sleep. Sleeping next to Faith.

His thoughts revolved around Faith and Bryson. He ate, drank, and slept with thoughts of the two of them. They were his world and he couldn’t bare to spend a minute away from either one but unfortunately, duty calls, and he was going to soak in what he could while he had the time. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before hitting the play button on the TV and entangling his fingers with Faith’s, not daring to let go.
♠ ♠ ♠
So... that took me forever to write... even though it's so short. I deeply apologize for my lack of updates. Senior year of college is more involved as far as assignments go than I thought it would be. My goal is to get the next chapter out in less than two months. So hopefully I can stick to that.

Anyway I hope you like this chapter. Get a look inside Joe's head on how he feels before leaving for three months. Don't worry, what I have planned for this story will be epic. I promise :)

Hope you enjoyed!!
Thank you so much for staying with me and reading this!! <3
~Steph <3