Sunburn

Let Me at the Truth

The school ran a two week rotary system which meant that, as I hadn’t chosen a group yet, I found myself hanging with a new crowd at break on Monday.

This was the indie kid crowd. I’ll not lie. I felt incredibly out of place. They were all talking about some party I had not gone to, some band I’d never heard of, some film I’d never seen. I hung around the edges, looking out over the playground.

I spotted a few people I knew, nodded politely and gave them smiles, but I didn’t want to leave the indie kids, I didn’t want to seem rude.

I was barely shocked when Will sauntered over- he was one of the football boys, but they seemed to mingle pretty well with the indie kids.

“Hey Will,” a boy near me greeted him, and he came over.

“Oh, hi Nate. Hey Matthew.”

“Hi,” I murmured, just loud enough for them to not think I was shy. I wasn’t shy. Just incredibly uncomfortable.

“How’s your project going?” Nate asked, angling himself towards Will.

“Awful. Irritating as fuck. Somehow light got in the dark room when I was developing the photos last week and I have to take them all again,” Will grumbled.

“Damn. How didn’t that even happen?” Nate asked.

“Damned if I know,” Will sighed. “And it was going so well. I got these perfect shots of Priestly and now they’re dashed to hell- the film’s ruined too.”

“Jessica Priestly? You just can’t stay away from her, can you?” Nate chuckled, shoving Will playfully.

Will laughed too, “nope. I don’t think I want to either.”

Nate’s chuckle died out. “You’re not serious, are you?”

“Serious as a deadman,” Will replied. “That body only gets better.”

“You’re crazy,” Nate said, shaking his head. But Will only laughed, and went off to speak with someone else.

*


It took me a while to realise that Jessica Priestly was ‘Jessie’, the loner.

In fact, it took me just over an hour when her name was called after Monica Powell in registration for our English class.

I liked English. The teacher was energetic and lively, and we spent more time engaged in conversation with her and those around us than working.

I sat in front of Jessica, I realised. I’d never really given it that much attention before, like I said, she was quiet in class. I generally found myself engaged with the girls on the table in front.

I decided that today I would change that.

As soon as the work was set, I picked up my book and turned around, setting it down on the table she had to herself. She looked up at me, a confused frown on her face.

“Hey,” I said, smiling. “I’m Matt.”

“Hi. Yeah, I know,” she said, clearly still not understanding why I was talking to her now. That only made sense. I’d never spoken to her before, and we shared two classes.

“What’s your name?” I asked, although I knew. I didn’t want her to think I was stalking her or anything. I didn’t want her to know that I’d heard people talking about her, either.

“Jessica Priestly. Um, I don’t mean to be rude or anything, but why are you talking to me?”

I shrugged, thrown by her directness. “I haven’t spoken to you before,” I hazarded, hoping that that was a good enough reason for her. She pursed her lips at me, not buying it but thankfully choosing not to call me on it.

“Well, Matt, I guess I don’t need to tell you this but I don’t really talk to people,” she said and this time I was sure she did mean to sound rude.

I shrugged, not wanting to be deterred by this. I’d find out something new about her before the hour was up. “That’s good Jessica, because I’m not people.”

“No, you are a person. I don’t really like talking to persons either.”

“Are you going to say why?” I asked, determined on achieving my goal now that I’d set it.

“Because. As a general rule, you’re all a bunch of sods.”

I laughed at that, even though I could see in her eyes that she was fiercely serious. “Everyone round here is lovely. Back where I used to live, now that’s where the real sods are,” I said, as though I were confiding a secret in her, wanting to make her lighten up.

“You’ve been here a week, you don’t know what you’re talking about,” she said, looking down at her work.

“Okay, maybe you’re right. But what’s to say that I’m a sod?” I asked, but she didn’t reply. Instead she began writing something down, although what I wasn’t sure. I’d forgotten the assignment already

I considered writing something on my own blank page, but decided against it. “Are you not even gong to give me a chance?” I asked instead.

She shook her head silently, and carried on with her work.

*


“I saw you talking to Jessica Priestly,” Emma-lyn said, snagging me as we exited the English classroom.

“Yeah. I realised I hadn’t spoken to her even though she sits behind me, and on my table in Art,” I replied easily.

“I wouldn’t talk to her if I were you,” Emma murmured, lowering her voice. “She’s crazy.”

“I don’t think she’s crazy. A bit bitter, yes, but not crazy,” I argued.

“Matt, you’ve only been here a week. You wouldn’t understand,” she sighed, reminding me of Jessica’s words.

I shrugged, suddenly wanting to let it go. “Can I eat lunch with you guys today?” I asked instead.

“Yeah, of course you can,” she smiled, Jessica Priestly evidently gone from her mind. Not so mine.

*


I realise, of course, that I could have just asked what was wrong with her that made everyone hate her so much, but that didn’t feel right. Somehow it felt like I’d be invading her privacy.

I wanted to find out from her lips. I wanted the pure truth, if she’d give it to me, no gossip.

It felt like a challenge. I guess that’s no way to describe the process of befriending someone but I knew that’s what it would be, trying to get Jessica Priestly to allow me into her life. It felt like it would be a huge challenge. I foresaw her fighting me every step of the way.

And I’d be lying if I said that that didn't make me want her friendship even more because it did. I relished the idea of being a part of her life when so many others, it seemed, had failed.

I felt sure, without any real evidence or proof, that I could break down Jessica Priestly’s walls and that the girl I’d find inside them would be completely worth it.
♠ ♠ ♠
1,136 words