‹ Prequel: The More You Chase It
Status: active

Memories Are Wonderful

Introductions

James had invited me to appear with him at a small art show he had been working on. I wasn’t sure whether I was supposed to be the date on his arm or just a friend he brought with him but I suppose that wasn’t really that important. Everything had been going relatively well between us. Andrew and Clara were talking again and it was common assumption that they would probably be getting back together. The wedding might even go on as planned. At least, that’s what I was hoping. They really deserved a happy ending.

The night of the gallery I wore a simple blue dress that fit my curves and had the design of a single peacock feather running diagonally from my waist to my shoulder. The colours brought out the green flecks in my blue eyes. The effect was better than I had hoped. I did my make-up conservatively because I was never one for overdoing it. My heels made we walk straighter and taller and my black coat kept me warm as we stepped out of my apartment building.

“You look wonderful,” James had said with a smile. He opened the door to the taxi like a gentleman.

He was wearing jeans with a blazer and jacket over top. His hair wasn’t in its usual messy way but instead perfectly manicured.

“Yes well, you’re not looking too bad yourself.” I pecked him on the cheek before sliding in.

In the car he gave the driver the address. With all my knowledge of his mannerisms and habits I could tell that he was nervous.

“It’s going to be great. Don’t worry.” I put my hand on his arm and watched the side of his face. He was staring ahead, his face full of thought before he turned to look at me.

‘I’m not worried about what the critics and people think. I know they wont get it. They’re always going to judge me against the fact that I’m an actor. It’s impossible to separate the two parts of my life.”

“So if you don’t care about what people think then why do you seem so nervous?”

His thumb brushed the top of my hand lovingly. “I don’t care what the critics think but you and Davey and Tom on the other hand…”

There was sympathy in my smile. Did he not know by now how amazing he was? I’m sure there was nothing he could do that would offend any of the three of us.

“It will be fine. We’ll all still love you in the end.”

His look of worry changed, as if someone had flipped a switch, to a conceited smirk. “So you love me?”

I paused for a moment, stepping cautiously, “I suppose I did just say that didn’t I?”

We hadn’t really shared the “I love you”s even if I had been thinking it for a while. It was a shame to let it slip out just like that. It caused everything to feel still in the car.

“You did.”

“Too soon?”

James searched my face. The scrutiny in his eyes made me nervous. He didn’t give anything away with his expression. A part of me wanted him to smile or show some intention to say it back. But with each moment that passed I felt more and more helpless. I almost wanted to hide my face in the collar of my coat and vanish into the fabric.

“Well… Not really.” A cheeky smile adorned his lovely lips, “I love you too Daize.”

My response, perhaps not he was expecting, was to hit him relatively hard in the arm. It was a huge relief to hear the words but the slow fashion with which they were delivered had no doubt been intended to make me sweat.

“What was that? I tell you I love you and you hit me.”

It was my turn to smile but not out of cheekiness, I just couldn’t contain the relief, “That was for purposely dragging it out and making it seem like you were going to reject me. That was cruel.”

With conviction his hand took hold of mine, his face taken over with a new seriousness. “How could I ever reject you Daize? I’ve loved you for a very long time.”

My smile only grew. The feelings towards each other had been implied but never put into words. It had been obvious he cared about me but it was something different altogether for him to actually come out and say he loved me. My body gravitated towards him as much as the seatbelt would allow and he placed an arm around me and put a soft kiss on my head.

“So does that make me your date tonight?”

“Would you like to be my date tonight?” His voice was a soft mumble against my hair. He was probably messing it up but I didn’t really care… for now. I would probably be more annoyed with it when we arrived at the gallery.

“How would my duties change?”

“Well you’d have to let me put my arm around you, and have the misfortune of being introduced as my date.”

“That doesn’t seem too bad.”

“But you haven’t seen the show yet. If it’s awful you can’t bail, you have to be supportive.”

I placed my hand on his knee and found comfort in the feeling of having him so close, especially knowing now that my feelings were requited.

“I think I can live with that.”

“And my mother is going to be there.”

This one caught me off guard. “What?”

“My mom’s going to be there.”

“Uhhh…”

He laughed, “You’ll be fine. My brothers already love you, she will too. But if you just want to be introduced as my friend I understand.”

I thought about it for a moment. Considering we had only just said I love you and only just decided that this was a date, meeting his mother for the first time would be an awfully big step. But as the car pulled up to the gallery I realized that if I didn’t meet her as his date now I would still want to later so what difference would it really make?

“No. I’ll be your date Mr. Franco.”

As I said this the taxi parked outside the building. James didn’t stop smiling at me after that. As he went in to get everything ready he would glance over at me and smirk. Even as people started arriving and he was talking to them, if I wasn’t by his side his eyes would find me and smile. As more people arrived I started getting nervous, expecting each new arrival to be his mother. His brothers arrived before her and greeted James with a hug. I got a hug as well from Dave but Tom shook my hand.

“So, this is interesting,” Dave said gesturing around the room.

“Such kind brotherly words,” As I spoke James slid his arm around my waist.

“No… I meant it in a good way. Art should be interesting, right? That’s a nice art compliment.” He seemed a little distracted at the sight of James and I. It seemed as though he was able to read into the little gesture enough to know that something had changed between us.

Tom didn’t take notice but instead laughed at Dave’s comment. “A nice art compliment?”

Dave rolled his eyes in response, “Whatever, I was trying to be supportive.”

That was when his mother appeared. I could tell it was his mother from the moment I saw her walking towards us. Her face and hair gave it away.

When James introduced us she was very sweet, allowing me to call her by her first name and telling me how lovely I looked. Upon being introduced as James’s date I got approving looks from both Tom and Dave who congratulated both of us as his mother left to look around the gallery.

It seemed Dave had won a bet on whether or not James and I would ever get together which was simultaneously funny and annoying. It’s good to know my love life had become fodder for entertainment.

The showing went well. The response was mixed but I really did enjoy it, and thought myself lucky to be in such talented company as we rode home in the taxi.

“My mom liked you.”

“How could you tell? You’re just saying that.”

“I’m not! I think I know my mom. She’s probably just happy to see me with someone. My track record isn’t the greatest.”

“What about Elizabeth?” I don’t know why I always found myself so curious.

“Never introduced them.”

“Okay.”

Moments passed without words. I don’t know why Elizabeth always came up but them together was a weird thought.

“Hey… Daize…?” James broke the silence.

“Yes.”

“Do I get a second date?”

I smiled as the taxi parked outside my apartment. The streets empty in the night. I took his face in my hands and kissed him. “You get as many as you want.”

“How’s tomorrow sound?”

“That’s a bit fast.” I laughed at his eagerness.

“Is that a no?”

“It’s a ‘sure as long as it’s after 4 because I have work’.”

“Good. I’ll see you then.”

I smiled and opened the door to step out before being stopped one last time, “Oh, and Daize?”

“Yes James.”

“I love you.”

I laughed as I stepped out onto the curb. “Yeah yeah, I love you too.”

I closed the door without waiting and walked up to my apartment with an extra bit of bounce in my step. Tonight was a good a night. Perhaps even the best. And that was the thought that persisted as I walked into the building and the cab drove away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry updates are taking longer. I started another story and my laptop broke but I'll try and get chapters out when I can.