‹ Prequel: The More You Chase It
Status: active

Memories Are Wonderful

Arielle

James had already left for Ireland and I tried to call and text him as much as I could but it was still difficult. Kate tried to get me out of the house as much as she could but it was no use. I was stressing out about my sister’s wedding which was happening in a few weeks and I was worried I would be attending it solo. I thought about what James had asked me about regretting being in a relationship with him and tried to imagine what it might be like if we were still just friends. Would that really make this any easier? If we weren’t together could I be happy being with someone else who was able to be there more? The thoughts were stupid. I really did love James. He was my best friend and I couldn’t imagine having that with anyone else.

“So how’s James?” Kate asked one morning while I was making breakfast. Three weeks until the wedding and James had almost been gone a week.

“I don’t know. He’s okay I guess.”

“Wasn’t that him you were on the phone with for two hours last night?”

I started eating some cereal leaning against the hard counter. I could feel the sun coming through the window on my back as it lit up the room in front of me. Kate was sitting at the table with a newspaper but not really reading it.

“Yeah but he’s been really busy. He said some of the shooting has been fun but the schedule been pretty gruelling.”

“Why don’t you guys just Skype each other?”

The thought hadn’t actually crossed my mind but it was a good one. I’d make sure to mention it during our next phone conversation. “I don’t know, that’s a good idea.”

“Are you going in to work today?”

“Yeah, are you off?”

She smiled and put the paper down, “I am. I’ll probably go see Liz. I kind of hinted about you and James, just so it’s less of a blow when she finds out.”

“Okay.”

“You’re not annoyed?”

“Can’t do anything about it now.”

I finished the cereal and placed it in the dishwasher trying to figure out my schedule for the day.

“When are you working?” Kate asked from her seat.

I thought about it, “A few hours but I was going to get dressed and stop by James’s place and pick some stuff up first.”

“Alright, we need to have some girl time though. I know you’re all mopey and we need to fix it.”

“I’m not mopey.”

“You are a bit.”

I laughed and shook my head, “Whatever.”

I changed pretty quickly and grabbed my keys. The drive was a familiar one and for a moment it almost felt as though I was on my way to see James. As I walked up to his apartment I almost expected him to be on the other side of the door sitting on the couch reading or typing away.

He wasn’t there because he was in Ireland, but his little brother and a girl were. She was blond and she was pretty. She wore glossy make-up and tight clothes. Something about her looked weird in a way I couldn’t describe.

“Sorry Dave, I didn’t mean to interrupt, I just came to pick some stuff up.”

The girl gave me a dirty look. “Davey, who’s this?”

The name seemed a lot more volatile coming from her voice than it did when James said it. How could he put up with it when he hated his brother using it?

“Uhh, Daisy this is Arielle. Arielle this is my brother’s girlfriend Daisy.”

“I thought in interviews he always said he was single.”

“That’s because it’s kind of on a need to know basis.” Dave explained.

I watched the interaction and felt confused every moment of it. I didn’t like this girl and I didn’t like the way she had taken the new information. Not to mention I felt bad for Dave.

“Yeah, you guys continue, I’m just running upstairs and I’ll be out of here.”

The two of them remained on the couch while I ran up the stairs to James’s room. It felt weird being in the familiar surroundings. Everything was untouched from the last time I had been in there. There was no stopping my urge to stop and lie down on the soft comforter.

They smelt of his soap and it lulled me into a relaxed state in the warmth. So lost in the feeling I was surprised when I heard Dave enter the room.

“Sorry about Arielle.” Was the first thing he said as I sat up on the edge of the bed. There was a look on his face I had never seen before. The always cheery Dave looked legitimately sad. I had a theory that he still missed Marissa. The two had been obnoxiously perfect together.

“That’s fine. No need to apologize. I shouldn’t have just barged in like that. I just wanted to pick up some clothes I left here.”

I went to the dressed and pulled out some of my shirts.

“Have you been talking to James a lot since he left?”

“Somewhat, why?”

“Could you not mention Arielle to him? I don’t think he’d like her very much.”

After taking out the shirts I wanted I also swiped on of James’s for comfort while he was gone.

Closing the drawer I looked over at Dave in the doorway, “do you like her? She doesn’t seem much your type.”

“Of course I like her. She’d just a little rough around the edges.”

“Have you seen or talked to Marissa at all?”

“Last time I saw her she was dating her old friend from college.”

It all made sense to me know. He was forcing himself to replace her but I let it go for now. “I promise I won’t mention it to James but you have to promise me something in return.”

“What?”

“Promise me that you won’t give up on Marissa?”

He seemed surprised by my request. “You guys were good together and I don’t know why you split up but I’m sure it was dumb.”

“Okay. I promise.”

Dave actually smiled. Perhaps all he needed was someone to tell him not to give up on her to think he still had a chance but he came up and hugged me. “My brother is a lucky guy. If he doesn’t make it to Clara’s wedding I’m always available to be a platonic place holder.”

“Thanks, let’s just hope it doesn’t have to come to that.”

When I went to leave and had to walk past Arielle she wasn’t giving me a disapproving look but I didn’t care. I had a feeling she wouldn’t be around much longer.

I dropped the stuff off at home and got a call from James while I was on my way to work.

“Hey Daize.”

“Hey, how’s it going?”

“not bad I just had a bit of a break what are you up to?”

“Walking to work.”

“Not driving?”

“Nope. It’s nice today.”

“I miss you.”

“Yeah, I miss you too. I was thinking we could Skype tonight. I haven’t seen your face since you left.”

His voice brightened up but he still sounded tired, “That sounds like a good idea. How’s Clara doing with the wedding stuff?”

“She’s freaking out of course but she’s been on top of things. I’m sure it will be seamless.”

“That’s good to hear. Let’s hope I can make it.”

“I’m going to go crazy if you’re not there.”

The museum came into view and I knew I had to end the conversation before going in, even if I didn’t want to.

“I know. I’m trying my best.”

“Yeah. Anyways, I’m at work, I’ve got to go.”

“Okay, I’ll Skype you tonight?”

“Sounds good. Bye James.”

“Bye Daize. Love you.”

The last two words made me smile uncontrollably. I’d never tire of hearing him say them. “Yeah yeah, love you too.”

Even if it's difficult some times.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long I've been really busy with work and I just started a Sidney Crosby story.

So, if you like Sidney Crosby and/or my writing feel free to check it out :)

Thanks to everyone who left a comment. This series is almost over, I have it planned out so hopefully I'll be able to get the chapters out soon.