‹ Prequel: The More You Chase It
Status: active

Memories Are Wonderful

Rooftops and Rye

After that day James and I still talked a bit. It wasn’t like it used to be but I had accepted the fact that it never would be.

The store was relatively slow one day. There were only a few people browsing through the wooden shelves of the used and rare book shop. It was almost completely silent aside from the turning of the pages and the rain outside. The weather was the only thing making being inside, working on such a slow day, somewhat pleasant. I hummed quietly and I created a recommended section, so quietly I barely heard it myself.

As I straightened the books and make them presentable I heard the store door open and giggling intrude on the quiet. Glancing past the books in front of me I saw a couple, dripping wet, come in from the streets. Elizabeth was giggling as James shook the droplets of water from his hair like a dog.

She smiled a warm smile when she noticed me, “Daisy!”

I grimaced. It was tough that every time I saw her I was now torn between liking her as a friend and hating her as my mortal enemy. The worst part was she was a really cool person, much more suitable for James’s lifestyle than I was. She was an extrovert, a partier. She enjoyed the attention.

“Hey guys, what are you doing here?” I asked as I watched them approach me.

“Oh, Jim wanted to pick up some books.”

James nodded in agreement, “we didn’t know you worked here.”

“Yeah, I do. I started a week after I got back.”

“Well, I’m going to go look for those books I was after,” James looked at Elizabeth as if waiting for some sort of approval or something, “I’ll be right back.”

Her smile towards him was a soppy, lovey smile, not the same one she had given me. “Okay.”

He disappeared pretty fast, leaving Elizabeth and I to talk alone.

“No books for you today?” It was a routine question for me to be asking, I was there to sell books after all.

“I’m working on reading On The Road but I’m not a huge reader.”

It was moments like this where it was hard to hate her, “I love Jack Kerouac.”

“Is he one of your picks?” she asked surveying the table of books.

“Not this time.”

But I was recommending As I Lay Dying, which I could remember James reading to me as I fell asleep. The thought was a strange one. I was still having troubles connecting this James to that James. I had always loved that book but I wondered if my affinity for it had changed since that night.

“Shame. It would definitely be one of my picks.”

James already returned with a stack of three old looking hardcover books. He had obviously been in the store before and knew what he was look for. “What are you two talking about?”

“Jack Kerouac,” Elizabeth answered as she put her hands around his arm, “What do you think of him?”

“He’s good,” James glanced over the table, “I prefer Faulkner though.”

When he looked up there was a slight smirk on his face, barely noticeable unless you were really looking. I wondered if I was imagining it or he was just screwing with me. Did he remember that night?

I rushed the book through the cash and hurried them on their way out. Though, I tried to be as subtle as possible. The rest of my shift went by smoothly. The rain stopping before I had to leave. On my way home I decided to pick up a cup of coffee down the street from the store. And that day, being as weird as it was, as I was about to leave the coffee shop I was stopped by Dave. It was like I really couldn’t catch a break. Two Francos in one day, by coincidence, in this city? That was a new record.

“Daisy! You’re back,” Dave had smiled that familiar Franco smile.

“Hey Dave.”

We moved out of the way of people walking into the shop, retreating close to the window so as not to disturb the stream of people on the street. Since the last time I had seen him, Dave had gotten a hair cut. He looked slightly more buff as well under his shirt and hoodie.

“Does James know you’re back?”

I nodded, “yeah we saw each other the other day. His girlfriend is a friend of mine.”

“Girlfriend?” Dave looked in thought for a moment, “oh yeah, Elizabeth, right?”

I laughed. How did he remember me and not her? Hadn’t they just had dinner a few nights ago?

“What about you? How are you and Marissa?”

Dave’s face grew momentarily solemn, “we broke up a few weeks ago.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. You guys were nice together.”

He shrugged, “stuff happens. But what are you doing tomorrow night?”

By this point in the conversation I had almost completely forgot the steady stream of people walking past us. “Tomorrow night, why?”

“It’s my birthday. I’m having a few friends over.”

“And you’re inviting me?”

“Awww, come one, we had some good times.” His words came out with a throaty chuckle.

I was still surprised I was being invited to Dave’s party but something told me behind that mischievous smirk there was some sort of angle.

“Will James and Liz be there?”

“James will, I’m not sure about Elizabeth though. It’s at his building, on the rooftop patio.”

I thought about it. It was funny talking to Dave. He had some of his brother’s familiar traits but he seemed so much more extroverted than James was. And a birthday wouldn’t hurt. It could be fun.

“Sure, count me in.”

Dave clapped his hands together, “great!”

His enthusiasm was amusing. “Be at James’s around 6:30ish? It’s just a patio type thing with some friends and the weather is supposed to be warm and sunny, unlike today.”

“Sounds good.”

He pulled me into a light hug. There was something about Dave that had always made me feel very welcomed. Even as little as we had seen each other, it was when Dave was around that I really started feeling like part of a sort of family.

***

The next day, on the way to the party I picked up a bottle of expensive old Rye for Dave’s birthday. I remembered he had ordered Rye and coke a lot when we used to go out for drinks with him. I didn’t know if he was expecting a present but it wasn’t anything big.

I was just under an hour late. My nerves were getting the best of me. When I arrived at the familiar building it felt, for a moment, like old times. I could remember heaving the rickety trolly up the curb here many times.

At the intercom I punched in the familiar number. I was wearing a light greyish lillacy coloured summer dress that draped over my shoulders and hips. As the intercom rang I fidgeted with the caramel coloured belt around my waist. It wasn’t something I wanted to readily admit but I had put quite a big of effort into my look. I wanted James’s eyes to be on me, as selfish as it was.

“Hello?”

“It’s Daisy.”

“Hey. Just go straight up to the roof.”

A loud buzzing came from the doors as they unlocked. I opted for the stairs because the building wasn’t that tall and it gave me time to regain my composure as my nerves jittered under my skin. There was no logical reason for me to be so nervous.

When I reached the top of the stairs I could hear music and conversation. I took a big breath and pushed open the large metal door that said ROOF, and outside there was at least 15 people spread out in different areas having their own conversations. There were white lights decorating the area and a bunch of summery looking chairs and plants. Every one seemed to have a beer or plastic cup. The sun was midway from its zenith to the horizon.

“Hey Daisy!” Dave came over and gave me a hug. He was wearing jeans and a simple grey blazer. He looked quite sharp.

“Happy birthday Dave,” I smiled when we pulled away and handed him a small girft bag, “I brought you something!”

He took it from me with a happily surprised look on his face. “You didn’t have to get me anything.”

“It’s just something small.”

From the corner of my eyes I could see James and Elizabeth by the edge of the roof, leaning on the side having a conversation. James had noticed me but I was concentrating on Dave. It was his birthday after all.

His hand reached into the bag and the fancy glass bottle slowly slid out.

“Wow. This is really old.” He said examining the label. “That was really cool of you.”

James and Elizabeth walked over to us.

“It was nothing. Thanks for inviting me.”

When they reached us Dave turned to James and held up the bottle, “look what Daiz brought me.”

James looked at the bottle, “nice. We should crack it open!”

“I will go find some cups.” Dave said disappearing.

“So, Daisy, I didn’t expect to be seeing you here,” Elizabeth smiled, leaning on James, “How do you know Dave?”

“Oh, we’ve known each other quite a while.” It didn’t really answer the question but hopefully that wouldn’t be noticeable. “How are you guys liking the party?”

“It’s nice. It’s a shame I have to leave soon.”

I cocked my head at this new piece of information. James was staying awfully quiet. “You have to leave?”

“I have a huge meeting really early tomorrow morning so I need to go over my presentation and get some sleep.” Elizabeth looked really disappointed that she couldn’t stay.

“You can at least stay for a drink, right?” Dave said, bringing back four glasses instead of the plastic cups.

“I can’t, I’m driving,” Elizabeth declined. “I should actually probably get going.”

James nodded, “I’ll walk you down to the car, but Dave, you better save me a glass of that for when I get back.”

“Bye Dave, Happy birthday,” she didn’t give him a hug, just a small wave. Then the two disappeared into the large door.

“Looks like it is just you and I partaking in this Rye,” He led me over to one of the sets of chairs and set the two spare glasses down on a small table before pouring us both a drink, straight up with no mixers.

We were interrupted before we got to try it, “what is that you got there Dave?”

A tall man with curly hair who looked oddly familiar came up to us. He was holding one of the red plastic cups.

“Tom, this is Daisy. Daisy, this is my brother Tom.”

I was finally meeting the third Franco brother.

“Hi Daisy, I’ve heard so much about you.” Tom held out his hand and I shook it. The Rye in my other hand swirled in the glass.

“And this is a 30 year old Rye that Daisy got me.”

Tom whistled, impressed, taking a seat with us.

“Want some?” Dave asked holding out the bottle tilted, ready to pour.

Tom held out his red cup, which was empty and Dave slowly poured a little bit into it.

“To Dave, on his birthday.” The toast came from Tom as we all held up our glasses, “Maybe we can find him a new girl.”

The Rye was strong but it wasn’t rough like most Rye’s were. I had to admit, it was pretty good.

“Woah, that’s the smoothest Rye I’ve had in a really long time.” Dave seemed pleased as he stared down at the liquid in his glass.

There was some small talk that went on before James arrived. “Hey guys. How is it?”

He grabbed a glass and held it out from Dave to pour him some, without even asking. He was wearing a blue and white grid shirt with a taupe-grey jacket, and the sleeves rolled up a bit to mid forearm.

“Amazing,” Dave said as he poured himself a little more. James did a second toast and the four of us sat and drank and chatted for a while before Dave got pulled away by some of his friends and Tom left to talk to some new arrivals.

James and I found our own spot by the edge of the roof. By my third drink I was in a pretty good mood. Everything just seemed funnier and happier. And it was nice that Elizabeth wasn’t there. As bad as that was to think.

“I have no idea why Dave invited me, to be honest,” I said as I looked out over the side of the building.

James was leaning on his arm, fidgeting with his hands. “Don’t be like that. Dave loves you. We had fun together.”

I adjusted my weight so I was facing him more, “Yeah, I guess it’s just weird because I haven’t seen him in so long.”

“You haven’t seen me in a long time either, and look how well we’re doing.”

His smile was just as charming as it had always been. “I suppose. What happened with him and Marissa?”

James scratched his temple with his pointer finger. “I’m not completely sure. He didn’t really want to talk about. It only happened a few weeks ago.”

“What about that job he was trying out for before I left, did he ever get it?”

“Actually he did. You should ask him about it.”

I looked over and saw Dave talking to a pretty blond girl. “He looks a little busy right now.”

“I don’t think he’ll be dating again any time soon. He'll bail on that before he gets anywhere” he said gesturing to the blonde.

When I looked back at James his eyes were on me. He wasn’t staring but he was at least looking at me when he spoke. I liked having his attention. I wanted more of it.

“What about you? Did you meet any English guys while you were away?” He continued.

“Actually, I’m marrying a prince, didn’t you know?”

“You’ll make a very charming princess.”

I straighted up and turned my head to the side, a playful smile playing on my lips as I put on a British accent, “won’t I just? You’ll have to start calling me princess Daisy.”

He laughed. My accent wasn’t very good but it wasn’t awful. I let myself answer seriously, “But really, I spent most of my time with school and stuff, didn’t have time for all that dating nonsense.”

“You’re strange.”

“Gee thanks. And you think you’re normal? You’re the only person I know who collects degrees like baseball cards and the only movie star I’ve ever heard of volunteering to be on a soap opera.”

He shrugged holding his hands up, “Hey, I never said I wasn't.”

His smile indicated he was enjoying our conversation as much as I was, and it was nice to know that.

James and I talked most of the night. It was fun and friendly, nothing more. He was a perfect gentlemen and truly faithful. There wasn't so much as a little flirting. I wished there wasn't the elephant of his girlfriend in the room with us every time we saw each other now but we did a good job at hiding it. Maybe it didn't even bother him, I mean he had moved on. It was me who couldn't let him go. Why did it always have to be so difficult with us?