Status: in progress. I'm working on it, I swear.

A Beautiful Mistake

Chapter Two

I woke up the next morning with the sudden urge to run to the bathroom. I few out of bed, hand over my mouth, and barely made it to the toilet before throwing up. I stood up, noticing I was only wearing a bra. This is odd, I thought. I barely ever sleep without pajamas. I walked back into my room to get my clothes, when I noticed someone else in my bed.

“Shit! What the hell did I do last night?!” I muttered to myself. Thank god he was still asleep. I struggled with my memory from last night. We went to the club, I drank a lot, we danced... I ran quietly to my closet and threw on my robe. I went back over to my bed, and gently pulled the blanket away from his face.

Logan Couture was in my bed. The Logan Couture. Logan Couture of the San Jose fricken Sharks. I felt the adrenaline rush through my body, and then more details from last night came back to me. I crashed into him. I spilled his drink on him. We danced. But, why did he end up here? I ran back to the bathroom and shut the door, trying to calm myself. I took deep breaths for a minute, but it didn’t help. Logan Couture was in my bed. Sure, it’s not Brad Pitt or someone, but around here in this hockey town he pretty much was Jesus. I decided to take a hot shower, and it helped me calm down. I let the hot water run over my body as I relaxed. I threw my robe back on after I was done, and walked back into the bathroom just as he was waking up.

“Shit. Shit, shit, shit,” he muttered as he sat up. He looked around and caught my eye. It seemed as if details from last night rushed back to him, too. “How wasted was I last night?”

“We were both pretty bad, I guess. I actually remember a decent amount,” I trailed off at the end.

“Damn. What time is it?”

“A little after 9:30.”

“Shit! McClellan will murder me if I’m late to practice.” He picked up his clothes from the previous night. I just sat there on the edge of the bed, almost feeling numb. None of this seemed real, none of it could have possibly happened. Logan came back over to me and sat down on the bed, next to me, looking me in the eyes.

“Look Rachel, last night... I’m sorry. I don’t know. I just don’t want you to think I was using you, or even abusing you...” He fumbled for his words.

“No, I understand. We were still kind of drunk, it wasn’t conscious deciscions.”

“I wasn’t that drunk,” he uttered quietly.

“What?”

“Never mind. Don’t worry about it.” He shook his head, put his face in his palms and sighed. “Look, I’ve got to go, I’ve got practice.” He took out his phone and handed it to me. “Put your number in it, how about I call you later?” He flashed me a smile.

I gave him one back, and punched in my number. I was still unsure and uneasy about this, but hey, what if this turned into something? Katie’s right. I have to take chances. I know this isn’t exactly what she meant, or how she wanted things to happen, I’m sure, but you never know. I haven’t been a goody two shoes all my life, but I never was a risk taker.

“Well, have fun at practice, and good luck with your game later. Kick the Ducks’ asses.” I smiled at him again. He got up and headed to the door.

“Ah, so you do realize who I am?” he said with that light, joking smugness I’ve seen come out in interviews before. Logan turned around and leaned against the wall with a cocky grin. “Ah, you’re a Sharks fan, I assume?”

“Of course I know who you are, wipe that cocky grin off your face.” I laughed. “And yes, of course I am. I fully bleed team. Been a fan since birth. Not to mention I write the majority of the Sharks articles for the Mercury.” I paused. “Shit, I’m supposed to be at the office in an hour,” i thought aloud.

“Well, I’ll let you go. I’ll talk to you later, okay?”

“Sounds great. Bye, Logan.”

“Bye Rachel,” he said with a small smirk as he walked out the door, closing it behind him.

I inhaled deeply, for what seems like the trillionth time today. I looked around my studio apartment. I really didn’t feel like going into the office. Last night was my birthday, shouldn’t that be a legitimate excuse? I decided just to call in sick. I still felt kinda hungover, and everything that just happened was too much. All I wanted to do was relax and tell everything to Katie. She was my best friend since forever. I could rely on her and trust her with seemingly anything.

I pulled out my phone and dialed her.

“Hello?” she answered.

“Hey Kates, it’s Rach.”

“Hey! Sorry we left you last night... We were all getting tired and we saw you with that guy so we didn’t bother you. He looked so familiar, did you know him?”

“What time did you leave last night? I didn’t leave until 1:30, I think.

“We left a little after midnight,” she answered. “Now, stop avoiding my question and tell me about this guy.”

“See that’s why I’m calling you,” I told her shyly. “Listen, can you just come over to talk about it?”

She sighed. “Yeah, of course I will. I’ll be there in 15 minutes max.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Originally this chapter and the next one (which should be up soon) were combined together, but it was really long. I decided to just split them in half, so that's why this one's shorter. Please subscribe and comment, I really do appreciate it! :)