Michael

Hurtful Choice

Noise filled the room with chatter of fear, excitement, and relief. A man was sitting in the waiting area of the hospital wing, waiting to see his wife. They were expecting a child, but there seemed to have been complications as they rushed into the hospital. The man remembers what his wife last said to him, "Our little boy is just as stubborn as his father is..." She looked into his eyes and saw his distress, "...everything will be alright John, just have faith." Tears streamed down from John's eyes, since his wife had to be rushed to the emergency room on this day. He worried for her and his child, trying to stay strong for Samantha, his wife.

The doors of the hospital entrance slid open and an unexplained light was shining through. No one seemed to notice except for John. A man emerged from the light dressed in white and walked towards the intensive care wing. With tears in his eyes John watched in awe and wondered who this may be, but no one still seemed to notice the man, even as he walked through the intensive care doors. A doctor walked past the man, not even noticing him, and walked towards John.

"Mr. Aingel?" the doctor questioned.
"Yes, that is me... is my wife alright? What of my child? Please sir tell me..."

John pleaded, but the doctor responded, "Remain calm, everything is alright for the time being... your wife was placed in the intensive care unit, but there is something you must know."

"Oh, thank you God... thank you for taking care of my love, I am so thankful..."
"Mr. Aingel... please sit down, there is something we need to discuss."

As John took a seat, he could but wonder what was wrong, his wife was fine, the man had said everything is alright, what could be wrong?

"Mr. Aingel," the doctor continued, "your sons umbilical cord has wrapped around his neck and is causing complications. Your son could die if we do not operate now..."

"Then what are we doing talking?! Please help my son, don't let him die! How can this be complicated? Just save my son! Please!" John became hysterical and was overwhelmed with the thought that he may lose his child.

"Mr. Aingel, if we operate, your wife will not be able to survive the operation. She has struck a high fever.."

John stopped, letting the words of the doctor trail off in the back of his mind. He was at a loss for words and did not know what to do. He loved his wife, but to lose his unborn son, their unborn son, would pain him so much.

"Mr. Aingel, we need to make a decision now, before it is too late for anything..."

"Give me a minute!" John yelled, without realizing he shouted. He was now pacing back and forth, he was scared. He looked up with tears once again streaming from his eyes, "What should I do God, what should I do?"