Status: For the writing contest "You Make Me Feel Alive" also this was oridinally posted on theblackparade.net

If I Die Young

Chapter 1

I walked out of the dorm and immediately collided with someone. "Great," I thought and looked up.

"Sorry," we both say, the other guy not looking up immediately. I moved to walk away when he says,

"You're new here, aren't you?" He asked, looking at me with some interest

"Yeah, well newish. I was actually born here at the base." I smiled, "I'm going to eat, do you wanna join?" I asked, hoping to make so sort of friend. I knew I should get attached, but once again I was breaking that rule. I mean he was cute and we would be sharing a dorm for a while at least.

"I can't, I have to join my parents." He said. A gave a sort of forced smile and went to walk off. "Wait!" He called and quickly walked over.

"Yeah," I said, turning around.

"What's your name?" He asked.

I laughed feeling stupid for not introducing myself, "I'm Frank," I smiled, holding out my hand.

"Gerard," He smiled grabbing my hand and shaking it.

"Gerard, I like that name." I let go of his hand and hugged him.

He hugged back, "You would, unless you were the one to have the name."

"Isn't that always how it is?" I asked pulling away from the hug.

"Probably," he commented.

"Frank!" I heard my mother call again.

"Well, that's my cue, it was nice meeting you Gerard." I smiled, turning to walk off.

"You too Frank," He called back. I smiled happily.

I walked to the mess hall, and followed my mom to a table. She was decked in the full formal uniform of a Private-Major. The whole walked she icily talked to me about respect in listening to commands when they are told to you. Meaning she was mad at me for pausing to talk to Gerard and not coming straight here.

"Do you understand what I'm saying Franklin?" She asked. She was in complete army mode, when she's not she's actually kind of fun.

"Yes, mom" I muttered, "I'm sorry."

"Oh, Frankie" she stopped and turned to look at me, pulling me into a hug, " I didn't mean to go so hard on you."

"It's okay," I said hugging back.

We got to the table and sat down, my mom had this look on her face that said she had something to share with us. I looked concerned as I sat next to my sister.

"Who's saying grace?" my mom asked.

"I will," a familiar voice said. Debbie and I turned around to see our father there.

"Dad," I breathed. The last time I saw him, he had left for Afghanistan. I jumped up and hugged him. He hugged back and looked over my shoulder towards my mother. I let go and looked, she had tears in her eyes as she got up and kissed him. My sister and I tolerated it for a couple of minutes but after that no.

"Get a room," my sister commented.

They broke apart and laughed. We sat down, said grace and ate. After the meal my mother looked at us, sorrow was evident in her eyes.

"Kids, the reason we're back in the states is because I'm being shipped off soon?" She said, her voice was hard as she tried to control the emotions that threatened to leak out.

"What, but I thought you said..." I broke off.

"I know what I said, but I knew it would be easier on you if I told you where I knew you kids would be safe." she looked at me hard, "I did have to come back to the U.S Frank. The reason that I chose New Jersey is because I trusted enough people to keep you safe."

I nodded, "Where are you being shipped to?" I asked, my voice hoarse, I wrapped my arm around my little sister, who started crying. She tried so hard to retain the emotionless state that my mother had sometime.

"Iraq" She said. Stood up and left, followed by my father.

My father turned toward me and my sister for two second and said, "Be safe." Then disappeared around the corner.

"Sissy, come on," I muttered, tears streaming down my eyes as I pulled my sister up. I brought her to he dorm. "Go to sleep." I muttered and kissed my eight year old sister on the forehead.

I walked to my dorm and went to my bed. I knelt down and started to pray. Lord make me a rainbow to shine down on my mother. She'll know I'm safe with you as she stands under my colors.
I bit back a few tears. It's happening all over again. My brother Cheech was sent to Iraq three years ago.
Oh, and life ain't always what you think it outta be, no ain't even grey but she buries her baby Lord, please keep her safe.

I laid in my bed, and for the first time in years cried myself to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
song is "if I Die Young" by The Band Perry